prrc

Reaction score
Handicap
I look at the new equipment out every year . But rarely buy any thing new. Changed drivers 2 years ago. Glad I did. Took out 3 iron and put in a hybrid. Works well. The last thing in the bag are my maxfli A10 tour limited irons. When I do look at irons its the same thing from the salesman. What irons are in your bag now. I answer and you can just see there jaw drop. The answer is always the same from them. New irons are so much better. Really ? Are they ? I play to a 2 handicap. If that helps with any answers I may get from here. Whats your thoughts. Worth looking into or just play on. Won't even know what I would look at that is some what comparable. Let hear your thoughts between old and new.

Tough to say. Looks like those Maxfli's are sort of a progressive set, with a bigger cavity in the lower irons blending to a blade in the scoring irons. I think the majority of the advancements in irons are in the game improvement category, but what you'll see a lot now is smaller profile irons with technology that helps them perform better with off center strikes. Titleist AP2's, Callaway Apex Pros, Taylormade Tour Preferred MC/CB, and PING S55's are the ones that first come to my mind. All have a smaller profile, with some sort of advancement in forgiveness over something like you are playing now. As you creep up into the game improvement design you'll see distance become a bigger selling point, but forgiveness is even more apparent.

First off welcome to THP!

I think Hawk is right on with some new sets that would be similar but I am one that thinks if you are happy with your clubs now and you don't see huge gains in the new equipment why change?

Have you hit any if the new stuff yet? I would hit some new sets that are similar to what you have and if you think they are significantly better than go with them. Otherwise just keep on with your set now.

You being a 2 handicap, as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Also, welcome to the THP.

The leaps has been in the GI and SGI irons, players irons and blades have been slower taking big leaps in technology, kind of. It's worth to mention that in the latest gear top lists the players segment rarely features a blade set.

But...Cobra AMP Cell Pro's, AP2's, APEX's and many other set have stuff in them that makes them more forgiving, longer and what not compared to older stuff. Why should you think about any other set? If it works don't fix it...yeah true...but the fact is that your swim might have changed, you could benefit from not a new set but just a different set, or a different shaft, or just check the lie and loft angles.

One thing that should be certain, with a 2 handicap distance is the last reason why you should change, I can't believe that forgiveness is an issue either, so what is there to think about? Consistency, trajectory, head condition.

Welcome to THP. You will certainly get some excellent advice here!

Welcome to THP! These guys will be able to help you find new irons to try. They are awesome!

Welcome to THP! I think Hawk pretty much nailed it already, but here is my .02 anyway because I have a similar problem. I'm not a 2 HC, but I have not been able to completely retire my old irons. I hit all the new irons every year, but have yet to be blown away.
I am determined to buy new irons this year and retire the old ones, they are getting so worn out.
My short list so far:
#1 Cally X forged - very nicely surprised by these
# W/S FG Tour v2
#3 Ping S55
#4 seriously considering a combo set of Cleveland 588's Altitudes 3,4,5, MT's, 6,7 and TT's 8,9,P,A .

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hawk I have looked at several you mentioned. I have not hit any other irons. Hitting into a video screen does little for me. I have the same opinion as the rest of you. Don't fix what is not broke. Especially if there is no benefits other than just change. I may try to wait for some demo days this spring to try some new clubs out. I just see all the commercials about adding 10/12 yards of distance with better accuracy. Just want to make sure im not missing out on something.

It's worth hitting up a demo day for sure. If anything, you'll get some confirmation that yours are just fine for you.

It's worth hitting up a demo day for sure. If anything, you'll get some confirmation that yours are just fine for you.

Hawk is wise. Demo Day could be eye opening one way or the other for you man. I look forward to your thoughts after you have a chance to hit some of these outside.

Obviously you are able to play to a high level with the irons you've got, but to say "there is no benefit" is likely not correct. Perhaps with a good fitting and the right wrenches you improve your numbers across the board and lower your handicap further. The thing you are missing out on is the potential that something might be better for your game.

Just a little update just in case anyone would be following this thread. Since I'm not sure it will ever get warm enough here in Indiana to go out to some Demo days. I took a chance and went to a fitter that uses golf tracker. just to see what would happen with his input. Well after spending about an hour and a half with him. I can tell you for me there was no benefit to new irons. I saw absolutely no distance gains or control of the ball. we tried several different brands of irons and shaft combo's just as an example I play my 7 iron to 162 yards. with a normal swing. no club changed that number more than 2 yards. so for me I will just keep my cash in my pocket. I did learn that my wedges were spread to far apart. I was using a 52 and a 56. Just bought the new SM5 wedges and changed loft to 50 and 54. The fitting cost me 125.00 so in my opinion worth the time , money.
Tim

My only thought would be this, have you tried playing a game improvement iron lately? Many now feel just as good as forged irons, and may give you that forgiveness you need to get down to scratch. I know many great players that left the blades/forged irons for a game improvement set. They said, "If I can get close to the same feeling as my old clubs, and the benefits of more forgiveness on off center hits, I might as well take advantage of the technology. " Just food for thought.

Yes, I have keep an open mind. The problem I have with a game improvement iron is I tend to hook them. I favor a draw. Can hit a small cut if I need to. I really liked the look of the Mizuno jpx irons. My current set is considered a game improvement set. C/B 7 /4 Muscle back 8 / P . If I had to pick an iron I liked the best today It would have been the Taylormade rocketbladez tour irons. But for 2yards. not worth the money for me. I'm hoping the wedge change will is worth something.

I look at the new equipment out every year . But rarely buy any thing new. Changed drivers 2 years ago. Glad I did. Took out 3 iron and put in a hybrid. Works well. The last thing in the bag are my maxfli A10 tour limited irons. When I do look at irons its the same thing from the salesman. What irons are in your bag now. I answer and you can just see there jaw drop. The answer is always the same from them. New irons are so much better. Really ? Are they ? I play to a 2 handicap. If that helps with any answers I may get from here. Whats your thoughts. Worth looking into or just play on. Won't even know what I would look at that is some what comparable. Let hear your thoughts between old and new.[/QUOTE

First Off Welcome to THP, this is a place with a great group of Guys and Gals, we all Live Golf here!
Now on to your conundrum, your Handicap says you are a Player, and my $.02 worth is while I have tried many of the latest/greatest over the past 5 years or so, as you can see by my what's in the bag Signature below l have decided to play what works best for me. While there has been some great equipment released over the past decade, I know what looks right to me at address, and what performs for me best is what I play by choice. If you are happy with your equipment as it is then I say leave it alone! If there are some structural/cosmetic/or playability issues then you should go to as many Demo Days as possible from manufacturers that make Club Model/Type that interest you.
In the long run only you can answer your posted question, but just know this, if you are as Psycho about equipment as most of us on here are then you will not find a better or more honest group of Golfers reviewing Equipment than the Folks here at THP. Don't just Play the Game, Live It!

Fairways and Greens
Johnny Hack

I will agree. just wanted to prove to myself I wasn't leaving something on the table.

Well after some pondering. I will keep my irons I have been using and I bought the Taylormade Rocketbladez tour irons. I did like them in my fitting. I will give them a try and see if there is any benefit in a real world setting. Gota good price on they since the new clubs hit the market. I will update when they show up and get a better feel for them.

Back