Odyssey Tank Putters Review Thread

Really going to be curious about your versa #7 Icey. That thing looks mean and awesome! Gonna enjoy following along and reading what everything thinks about the counterbalance aspect of the putters. There were some things I really liked about the Tank I had last year. I'm hoping to see the same things happen for you guys.

Good Luck!
Your Tank was my first exposure to these and I was thoroughly intrigued back then, I messed around with the shorter ones last year, and so happy I got the 38" version this time, I think it's a perfect length/weight/feel for this platform. You throw in the alignment and color, as well as the head shape, and it makes me super comfortable so far. I can't wait to see how it performs tomorrow and saturday.

Anyone getting their Tank out on the course this weekend?

Thoughts and expectations? Drills you might be working on to dial the Tank in?

I'm headed to the course for the next 3 days, I'm going to spend a bit of time on the practice green today before I head out, but I should be able to give a great view on how it performs day to day, especially compared to how I feel my stroke is doing.

My expectations are to have some putts drop and to have this 38" platform feel perfect.

The drills I'm going to work on during pre round are when I drop a half dozen balls on a single line and get them all lagged or in, then shrink that distance by a few feet until they are all going in. Sometimes it takes me a while to get them all in from one distance so I keep moving in pretty close!

Looks like it's going to be another week for me. First weekend of warm weather in forever and it's going to be all rain.

Spent a bunch of time yesterday working on lag putts and what I saw was promising. Getting another session in tomorrow then lll do a write up

I think I need to finally break down and spend some time with a tank, I've always shied away from them, but why I'm not really sure.

I think I need to finally break down and spend some time with a tank, I've always shied away from them, but why I'm not really sure.

I'd definitely suggest it. I've really enjoyed my time with it so far. I was planning on making it my gamer all year to make sure I can test everything about it for THP, but I'm thinking it would have won the spot in my bag regardless.

I spent about 20 minutes rolling the CB version of the Tank Versa #7 at GT last weekend and kinda fell in love... I was shocked at how smooth a putter with such a heavy total weight felt and rolled the ball.

Silly me thinking my set-up was complete for the upcoming season. :nono:

Interesting... curious as to what turned you off? Similar styles offered to what you like. I think you might enjoy the 2ball I am rolling right now.

I'm headed to the course for the next 3 days, I'm going to spend a bit of time on the practice green today before I head out, but I should be able to give a great view on how it performs day to day, especially compared to how I feel my stroke is doing.

My expectations are to have some putts drop and to have this 38" platform feel perfect.

The drills I'm going to work on during pre round are when I drop a half dozen balls on a single line and get them all lagged or in, then shrink that distance by a few feet until they are all going in. Sometimes it takes me a while to get them all in from one distance so I keep moving in pretty close!

Can't wait to hear how things go for you, Kyle. From your pictures, I really dig the color contrast of the versa head, and you picked the exact same model I would have tried out, so we're going to have to get together to play some golf so I can try that bad boy out! Keep the great updates coming.

Can't wait to hear how things go for you, Kyle. From your pictures, I really dig the color contrast of the versa head, and you picked the exact same model I would have tried out, so we're going to have to get together to play some golf so I can try that bad boy out! Keep the great updates coming.

The color contrast is amazing. I'll have a full writeup later today. But here's my drill from yesterday:
15 foot putts
vy5ehebu.jpg

Not too shabby results!
vagamuru.jpg

The color contrast is amazing. I'll have a full writeup later today. But here's my drill from yesterday:
15 foot putts
vy5ehebu.jpg

Not too shabby results!
vagamuru.jpg

I'd say 3/4 at 15' is acceptable... :alien: That's awesome!

Here's a couple more tid bits.

The color contrast from the versa at address is amazing!
vyhuqaqu.jpg

Also the tank logo is simple but nice. I like the branding on this one.
e4aru5aj.jpg

That Versa 7 is really nice looking. Just got word that my course is opening next Friday, so I'm looking forward to getting the Tank on course next weekend.

So after my first two rounds with the Versa Tank #7 38", I am in love!

Looks
This is where the Versa really stands out, not only is it appealing the eye, it reduces glare and helps with alignment. The color change sets the ball up perfectly.

Performance
I guess if I had to summarize the performance I would say the proof is in the amount of putts made, first time out my average putts per hole were 1.5! Which is quite good for me, and lag putts were to a tap in distance.

Feel
The face is a bit softer than what I'm used to, but the sound and feedback from it is great. It's taken me a bit of time to work it out, but I think I finally have the pace down. My lag putts and speed were great my second round out. There is still feedback when it comes to what you feel and what you hear. But the insert happens to be softer than the Seemore mFGP2 and SB2 I was coming from previously.

Alignment
This is probably the largest thing that sticks out about the tank, all you have to do is pick a line, put the putter behind and pull the putter back and let gravity do it's work. I know it's been said before, but this putter is truly point and shoot! As long as you read the putt right, this putter will give you a very good chance and making every single putt.

To show the balance I tried to get it balancing on the bench before we teed off. It seems to be a good balance and the head or grip doesn't feel overly heavy.

The only negative I can think of is kind of nit picky, but it looks like the talons have put a small mark in the headcover, it's not a huge deal, but I'll be keeping in eye on it for sure to see if it get's worse.

I've got some videos uploading and will get those posted quick!

Below are some videos I captured, hopefully you can hear and see what it looks like from the point of view.

Here's what the tank looks like from the up the line:
[video=youtube_share;DpDeE-uUDY0]http://youtu.be/DpDeE-uUDY0[/video]

Sound/Look at impact:

For those wondering, here's how the Versa Tank 7 picks up a ball!

Below are some videos I captured, hopefully you can hear and see what it looks like from the point of view.

Here's what the tank looks like from the up the line:
[video=youtube_share;DpDeE-uUDY0]http://youtu.be/DpDeE-uUDY0[/video]

Sound/Look at impact:

For those wondering, here's how the Versa Tank 7 picks up a ball!

Thanks for the videos Icey! I really like how they incorporated the Vera visuals into the tank line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the videos Icey! I really like how they incorporated the Vera visuals into the tank line.

Its a match made in heaven!

Its a match made in heaven!

I've said it before the color change on the versa tank grip is great. I really like the black/white/grey combo.

Got to get on a practice green at the range and hit a bunch of balls from different distances to get a better feel for the putter.

I can honestly say I love the feel of this putter. The added weight really makes it feel effortless to hit the ball. Keeps me from having to swing too hard to lag longer putts which might cause me to break down.

Im really starting to like this putter more and more I putt with it.

I've said it before the color change on the versa tank grip is great. I really like the black/white/grey combo.

The coloring on the headcover matches and looks great as well.

Icey....I like how the putter can pick up the ball.. . . but I would prefer not to have to use it that way. It just means I didn't make the putt. . . .<grin>
I really do like the looks of that #7 though.

03/30/2014 Review - Focus: Lag Putts

While my first new reviews and updates focused on first impressions and general feel of the putter, today I want to talk a bit more about the performance of the putter. As I mentioned I would in a few previous updates, I spent some time this weekend on the practice green working on lag putts. While the snow and mid-30's temperatures have given way to warmer weather here in New England, this weekend has been rainy, and my home course won't be open until next weekend. So, this testing was performed indoors at the practice green in the indoor facility I practice at during the winter.

My testing approach was as follows: On Friday, I went and spent some time with the putter, working on mid-range and long putts. I practiced putts from a variety of distances, and found a few that would be good to test from. Then, I went back today and took a number of putt attempts from those positions, in order to remove muscle memory from the results. Testing was performed with Nike practice balls provided by the facility - I've found these roll very similarly to the 2-piece balls I often play with. The club at address is shown below - I've missed the 2 ball alignment aid.

The first putt I evaluated was a putt over a ridge in the putting green. My best putts from here have required me to kill the putt at the top of the ridge, and have it break down towards the hole. Too hard, you're bouncing hard off the back wall, too easy, and it's well short and to the left. The putt is shown below on the left, and the results of the 6 putts I took is on the right. I was really surprised at how consistent I was from this distance. Note that the three balls are on top of each other were just about dying there - even if they didn't hit, they'd be very close to where they are in the picture. To say I was impressed with how well I putted here is an understatement.

Next, I tested myself from a bit closer distance. This putt was a bit more straightforward and makeable. I took the same six balls and attempted this putt. Again my distance control was excellent, and I made 4 of the 6 putts, which I'll take any time. I find this putter both very easy to align (I absolutely love the 2-ball alignment aid), and very consistent even on slight mishits - I don't find myself having the same problems I did with the original 2-ball mallet.

One thing I did notice over the course of my first extended test session - while I originally found that gripping down about 4" was the most comfortable, I've since found that gripping down a bit less, and putting with a more upright stance has given me the most consistent contact. The consistency I've seen with this approach is surprising to me, given that I'm relatively short (I'm 5'7").

All in all, the Tank continues to impress me, and will be my gamer this year. Looking forward to finally taking it outside a couple times next weekend. Thanks for reading, and thanks again to THP for this opportunity. Looking forward to writing an on course review soon!

So after my first two rounds with the Versa Tank #7 38", I am in love!

Looks
This is where the Versa really stands out, not only is it appealing the eye, it reduces glare and helps with alignment. The color change sets the ball up perfectly.

Performance
I guess if I had to summarize the performance I would say the proof is in the amount of putts made, first time out my average putts per hole were 1.5! Which is quite good for me, and lag putts were to a tap in distance.

Feel
The face is a bit softer than what I'm used to, but the sound and feedback from it is great. It's taken me a bit of time to work it out, but I think I finally have the pace down. My lag putts and speed were great my second round out. There is still feedback when it comes to what you feel and what you hear. But the insert happens to be softer than the Seemore mFGP2 and SB2 I was coming from previously.

Alignment
This is probably the largest thing that sticks out about the tank, all you have to do is pick a line, put the putter behind and pull the putter back and let gravity do it's work. I know it's been said before, but this putter is truly point and shoot! As long as you read the putt right, this putter will give you a very good chance and making every single putt.

To show the balance I tried to get it balancing on the bench before we teed off. It seems to be a good balance and the head or grip doesn't feel overly heavy.

The only negative I can think of is kind of nit picky, but it looks like the talons have put a small mark in the headcover, it's not a huge deal, but I'll be keeping in eye on it for sure to see if it get's worse.

I've got some videos uploading and will get those posted quick!

Love the sound of this. Your SB2 is CB, right? How does the feel of the tank compare to that (not the feel of the face, but the overall feel of the putter)? Coming from SeeMore putters, are you liking the versa enough to give up RST, or would you still prefer the RST?

Love the sound of this. Your SB2 is CB, right? How does the feel of the tank compare to that (not the feel of the face, but the overall feel of the putter)? Coming from SeeMore putters, are you liking the versa enough to give up RST, or would you still prefer the RST?
That's a great question Ryan, the Versa is very similar to the RST, I don't know if there is ever a full replacement for it, but the versa certainly get's close!

My SB2 is CB, but it's 39" and I think the 38" of the Tank is better, I'll be chopping down the Seemore for sure.

The head and weight seems a bit heafiter on the SB2 which I like the slimmed down approach of the Versa Tank 7.

Icey- I cant get over how good the versa paint scheme looks on the #7 style Tank. #7 has long been a favorite headshape of mine, and that Versa look to it really seems it will give me a bit more confidence with alignment with it.

For me, the 2 ball has always been an intriguing style putter for me. I never thought the 2ball alignment method was something that would help me on the course, but packed together with the versa color scheme and it's a pretty good setup when I am focusing on lining my putts up.

I like how Callaway took their existing line of putters, and found ways to improve their alignment methods for some golfers. Not that the previous putters had poor alignment setups, but I think adding the black/white contrast takes an existing product and makes it more attractive to more people.

Back