GPS app that does NOT require a data connection (for cart mounted tablet)

kabal57

Infidel
Reaction score
Handicap
my swing
So I have a sero 7 pro tablet which has GPS, I would like to use it as a cart mounted GPS for when I play, I don't care if the yardages are exact from the spot I'm standing on, would just like to have a good idea of how far from the green I am.. Which is why it would stay in the cart, would not be dragging it around to exactly where my ball is. I Would like it to stay in the cart for a quick at a glance idea of how far to the green, hazards etc, and want to use the tablet because the screen is bigger and easy to see vs my phone.

Don't want to use my phone, because the screen is smaller and usually GPS murders my battery. I don't care if the app has maps that need to be downloaded for each course, I can do that when I'm home on WiFi.
I just need something that won't require 4g as I'm trolling around the golf course... If I need data and have to end up using my phone as a hotspot that kind of puts me back at square one and reduces the need for the tablet. Does such a thing exist? Thanks!

Laser range finder would work.

GPS is predicated on a over the air signal.

GPS is predicated on a over the air signal.

Regular GPS apps work with predownloaded maps and no WiFi/4g
I'm looking for something along those lines that I can download beforehand. I don't need satellite view, a cartooney representation of the course/hole would suffice

Not sure that that will accomplish but good luck.

Why not just get a handheld GPS unit?

IIRC SkyDroid doesn't require your data connection to be on while using it. I know it's exactly what you are looking for, as in downloaded the course beforehand, etc. But I'm not 100% sure it requires your data to be on. It might depend on your phone as well.

No matter what phone you have though, you can tell your phone you only want to connect to the CDMA/3g network. If an app requires a data connection, it won't zap your battery like a 4g connection would.

It needs data because it needs to covert the gps signal to your location on the map(hole)

The basic function of the gps won't work without a data connection unless the app has all of the courses preloaded and you don't need to download the course every time you play

I use golfshot gps on my iPhone. I've found it to be fairly accurate and if used properly does not drain my battery ie; you turn it off between shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use GolfPad GPS on a Samsung Tab 2 tablet. This is a GPS only function for me because the tablet is not cellular and I download from WiFi before playing. Battery drain is around 10% for a round. Distances when compared with other devices are within several yards.

So I have a sero 7 pro tablet which has GPS, I would like to use it as a cart mounted GPS for when I play, I don't care if the yardages are exact from the spot I'm standing on, would just like to have a good idea of how far from the green I am.. Which is why it would stay in the cart, would not be dragging it around to exactly where my ball is. I Would like it to stay in the cart for a quick at a glance idea of how far to the green, hazards etc, and want to use the tablet because the screen is bigger and easy to see vs my phone.

Don't want to use my phone, because the screen is smaller and usually GPS murders my battery. I don't care if the app has maps that need to be downloaded for each course, I can do that when I'm home on WiFi.
I just need something that won't require 4g as I'm trolling around the golf course... If I need data and have to end up using my phone as a hotspot that kind of puts me back at square one and reduces the need for the tablet. Does such a thing exist? Thanks!

You will need a data signal. Cellular phones and tablets use A-GPS, or Assistive GPS. To triangulate position they require a signal from a cell tower in addition to GPS in order to work.

Back