play this given second shot for this reachable par5

I would start just right of the red line and cut a 4 iron trying to move the ball towards the flag with a soft landing shot.

This hole has me scratching my head... if I was looking to play it safe I would go with the red hitting a 7 iron or soft 6 to lay up. Then approach the middle of the green with a wedge shot. But if I was looking to be greedy I would go with a hybrid or 3 iron to the midle of the green. I would say 4 iron to the middle of the green but given a high greenside bunker I rather be safe than sorry and play a smooth 3 iron shot.

the highlighted is why I brought it up. Not a long P5 but depends on a real good drive. Not that the approach would then be easy but certainly much more obtainable. However I put us in this situation that makes it very interesting imo and one in which what many are often enough faced with.

many of you bringing up playing the red and cutting/fading one in towards the green and I have to say that a lot of players do try just that. If done well you can actually roll up to the green or fringe or pretty darn close. But many will also go for it and truthfully with more fails than successes. But I've also seen people take that safest blue route and successfully par with even chance for bird. That works too.

4 or 5 iron depending on wind and direction down yellow, I ain't scurred

If I have a reasonable chance to go for a par five in two I am taking it, it doesn't happen often so I would give it a go.

I'm taking the red approach. I do not see a point in trying to hold a hybrid or long iron to the green, as it wouldn't happen going up the hill. I would rather not take a chance messing with the water, bunker, or backside and WOULD take a chance at eagle with the wedge, hopefully leaving me a close enough birdie putt, or par at worst by laying up in front.

If I'm hitting the ball well and there isn't a lot of wind I'm going for the green. If its real windy I'm hitting the blue line. I will also throw out there that there is no chance of my second shot ever being that close so with a realistic drive from me, I'm playing the blue line all day.

Quick thoughts:
- That's a heck of a drive if that first shot is uphill.
- In reality for me, I'd be 75 yards back of that on a good drive and would be forced to use a long hybrid to play the blue.
- If I were in fact standing at this spot, I would aim between the blue and the red and allow for my natural fade. Note, I'm not saying I would try "working the ball" but instead would just not be closing down hard to prevent my natural ball flight. It'd end up with something playable on the safe side of the bunkers.
- I'd then walk up to the ball and wish I had played blue. Depending on pin placement, I'm possibly left with some 1/2 way shot as opposed to a 3/4 shot had I played blue.

Ahh, thus is the life of a hack.

Crazy, because a course I play quite often has a very similar hole. Good drive will run a bit and leave you 200 or so out, but instead of covering water, it's a waste area with knee high fescue. Bunkers guarding that right side as well.

I've played it a few different ways. Almost have got there in two, but rarely bother since the lie is usually a little down hill and it's just tough to hit a lower lofted club high enough to be worth it for me.

I take the blue line 9/10 times these days. Typical approach is 75 yards and I've birdied that hole more than any other on the course.

I'm playing at the far left greenside bunker. I'd hit a 5 iron. Should end up just short of the bunker or possibly on the green. Chip and a putt for a birdie.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Red path only because my 5i is 185 - 190 and I wouldn't want to end up in that bunker if I miss hit it. A nice 7i would get to me on the red path lay up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Looking at the bunkers guarding the green, I'm taking the blue line all day long. If I lay up to the blue my thought process is I'll be on the green with a chance at putting for birdie and a chance I might stick it close. If I take the red or yellow line and end up in the sand and get a bad lie, I'll be scrambling for birdie or possibly par depending how bad the lie or 3rd shot is. I tend to play aggressive golf which I've been working on being more conservative, but that green is heavily guard to me.

to be honest, I'm going blue. that's a pitching wedge then a *59, which I should be able to put close enough to have a nice chance at a bird. I feel that is the best play for me among those options.

Red line i would play a 3H right at it put a slight fade to stop it as quick as possible

I would attempt to go for the red line, but hit the ball fat and right into the water. Drop a ball where it crossed the line, and barely hit one over the water the rest of the way. Blade the next shot over the green. Chip onto the putting surface, but just barely. Two putt for my 8.

Or I would probably go for the blue line, and hit a wedge onto the green. I'm really going to put an emphasis on better course management this year. I've put a lot of work in this winter, so I'm ready to get outside and see the results.

THP #theking #imwithchad

Blue route for me to leave a fairly straightforward pitch to hopefully leave me with a decent birdie opportunity.

It would be the red line for me - reason being I would rather have a longer approach from the fairway than be unlucky and end up either plugged or under the lip of the bunker on the water side of the green if you don't hit the shot well enough. Plus the approach from the fairway means you are shooting along the longest line of the green giving you plenty of space to play with rather than being short-sided

Quick thoughts:
- That's a heck of a drive if that first shot is uphill.
- In reality for me, I'd be 75 yards back of that on a good drive and would be forced to use a long hybrid to play the blue.
- If I were in fact standing at this spot, I would aim between the blue and the red and allow for my natural fade. Note, I'm not saying I would try "working the ball" but instead would just not be closing down hard to prevent my natural ball flight. It'd end up with something playable on the safe side of the bunkers.
- I'd then walk up to the ball and wish I had played blue. Depending on pin placement, I'm possibly left with some 1/2 way shot as opposed to a 3/4 shot had I played blue.

Ahh, thus is the life of a hack.

That drive would actually be 250 from the whites. However if the whites are up towards the front of the box which is often enough then it would be mid 230's to 240. The tee box is a l bit elevated vs the begining of the fairway and the fairway doesnt really start up hill too much till about that point. And then its not a drastic hill but more simply slow gradual one. Thats why I said a shroter hitter who gets a hold of a better one can certainly be there as well as a longer hitter who doesnt quite get a hold of one so give or take ten yards is a common spot. Of course anything more or less than another ten yards either way certainly then basically dictates the choice for you.

The green is right in my wheelhouse for my hybrid. I'm going for it.

BTW just a little interesting info.

This hole use to have a huge evergreen x-mass type of tree. About a 40 or so footer with a very wide base. If you follow the red line from the hitting spot about 15 yards or so and bam! there it was.

Completelely changed the entire hole because you just had to stay left side fairway or that red and blue line was not even a posible option due to that tree and if one was too long and right they would land right on top of it. They took it away a few years ago and honestly the hole lost character imo. For you good players it kept the hole a more honest P5 where as "only" the long and well placed drive up the left side is what was called for in order for a good birdie cahnce. Although removing it did create this interesting scenario but most people still miss that tree and what it brought to the hole.

I'd take the yellow path unless there was just a ridiculous amount of wind in my face.

I'm going for the center of the green with either a 4 iron or choked down 5 wood. It looks like there is a good bit of room to miss around the green, so I don't see any use in not going for it. This hole reminds me a lot of the 18th hole at Santa Maria in Baton Rouge.

red line shading the yellow line with a little cut 5i

5i or smooth hybo on the yellow line

194 but playing closer to 210? I go at that all day.

There would have to be something extremely unusual for me not to take the "yellow" line at the green.

Back