Handicap for newbie

Offshoredoc

Reaction score
Handicap
So after playing seriously for a year, I still have no clue what my handicap is and why is it even important..

Anyone want to explain exactly what handicap means and why do I need to know what mine is?

I know it sounds like a silly question, but if I don't ask, I will not know..

Thanks in advance guys!

A handicap is a measurement of your potential.

It only matters if you intend to play competitive golf (club championships, etc) or want to make friendly cash games more fair - the handicap evens out a match among competitors of different skill levels - or if you want to play in certain THP events.

firstly, No question is ever silly on THP

secondly, one does not at all "need" to have one or keep one. Most people who golf don't keep one. I am only going to do it this year for first time ever in over 20 years of golf.

You can go to usga website and it explains how its done.

Basically its for playing competitive golf where as a player of lessor ability is given a certain amount of strokes to create a playing field that is more competitive. Otherwise better players would always win and lessor talented players would never have reason for or stand a chance at competing.

But many people who don't play competitive golf also run a cap just for fun and self satisfaction of knowing where they stand and also have something to strive for to try to improve upon.

Without details to further explain how it is computed (which can be found at usga) I will just say its basically an average above par of your "better" rounds of golf and what "your capable of" shooting and is calculated in coordination with the courses you play on.

I knew y'all would come through!

Question about handicaps. So let's say a friend and I play the same course, from the same tees. We both start with no handicap. We both end with the same score for 18. If I am understanding this correct, we may have different handicap ratings from this, depending on how we did on specific holes.

Am I correct on this?

Question about handicaps. So let's say a friend and I play the same course, from the same tees. We both start with no handicap. We both end with the same score for 18. If I am understanding this correct, we may have different handicap ratings from this, depending on how we did on specific holes.

Am I correct on this?

Possibly, but if at all it would be negligible.

I play golf with more people who don't have official handicaps than those that do. For me, I'm finding it is interesting to use as a tool to compare how I playing regardless of which course. With course ratings and slopes, the same score at two different courses may be counted very differently.

Also, as I take lessons and work on improving my game, it can be that measurement metric to quantify where I was and where I am currently.

Back