Any help and swing thoughts appreciated

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
So here are 4 or 5 swings from today. I see some things that I think are issues, but I'd like to hear your thoughts as I've been self diagnosing for years and it hasn't really ever gotten me far.

https://youtu.be/KN0ekLNQFx0

I'll make this an ongoing thread with more videos as I work on my problems.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to hear what your thoughts are

I would love to hear what your thoughts are

Well... There's a lot of them, which is some of my issue mentally, I over think. But swing wise:

First off, I was aligned poorly with the stick, which has been a problem often, my shoulders, feet tend to get out of whack.

Then I think I'm bent over a bit too much.

On the last several swings, (mainly shanks btw), I see that my first move with my hands is opening them at the start of the backswing.

Also feel like I'm getting too flat.

Going past parallel on a short iron, should be stopping far earlier.

Coming over the top a little (outside in) , maybe as a byproduct of too flat backswing.

The more I watch, the more I see.

OK....So I think you have a descent setup and can work with in your setup. I noticed you are choking down on the club a good 2 inches. I gather these were off the rack and not fitted. Not a big deal but understand that as the club flexes back into the ball the sole is not making even contact with the turf. If you can have them adjusted, I would say flatter you miss will be more forgiving and your center hits will be maximized.

Now you do two things very well. The club is in a great postion at your right hip and at the top of you swing when your left shoulder meets your chin.

You offset this by over swinging the arms. Remember when the left shoulder reaches the chin you are done with the back swing. Reaching for more does nothing but put the club in bad spots. try to feel like you are taking a 3/4 swing.

The long swing has caused two fatal flaws; casting and over the top. This is never good for the hosel of the golf club or trajectory of the intended shot. Shorten the swing, drop the right elbow into your right hip and hold the angle to the right hip. Get the but of the club pointed at ball on the down swing. This will aid in holding the angle. Try these and let me know how it works.

Well... There's a lot of them, which is some of my issue mentally, I over think. But swing wise:

First off, I was aligned poorly with the stick, which has been a problem often, my shoulders, feet tend to get out of whack.

Then I think I'm bent over a bit too much. Nope

On the last several swings, (mainly shanks btw), I see that my first move with my hands is opening them at the start of the backswing. Yes I know, we all get them

Also feel like I'm getting too flat. Nope

Going past parallel on a short iron, should be stopping far earlier. YES

Coming over the top a little (outside in) , maybe as a byproduct of too flat backswing. Yes but not because you to flat. your arm are over swinging

The more I watch, the more I see.

Don't over think this, you do a lot right and few wrong.

As to the club length, I just picked these up and realized I need to cut down/get them bent.

Re: over the top and casting - when I try dropping that right arm into my body, I really struggle with shanks and leaving my hands wide open. It's like I can't get them closed at impact.

Re: over the top and casting - when I try dropping that right arm into my body, I really struggle with shanks and leaving my hands wide open. It's like I can't get them closed at impact.

I got news for you, your over the top move is what is causing the shanks. Not an inside move, the casting makes it impossible to get inside.

To shut the face feel as thought you hitting the ball with the Bach of your left hand

I got news for you, your over the top move is what is causing the shanks. Not an inside move, the casting makes it impossible to get inside.

To shut the face feel as thought you hitting the ball with the Bach of your left hand

Gotcha.

Weather will be crappy tomorrow, but I'll work on this and report back.

Made it out the range today finally. Didn't get any video. It's amazing how difficult it can be to break the bad habits though.

Crazy how I can clip it so easily and hit beautiful shots when I take a half swings, but when I go to a full swing the bad habits come out and I start casting and coming over the top.

Ball striking is still a mixed bag even when I feel like I'm getting the the attack angle correct. It's like I'm so focused on that inside/out angle and keeping my hands right that I can't turn them over in time.

I was about 50/50 today on good swings and bad. Hoping to hit another day this week as well and will try to post up more video.

You half swing is problably closer to a full swing then you think. It is for most people, including myself

You half swing is problably closer to a full swing then you think. It is for most people, including myself

This is probably true, now that I think about it. Shots were only about 20-25 yds from their normal distance. Feels so smooth and effortless and then I go to a "full swing" and it is hack city.

This is probably true, now that I think about it. Shots were only about 20-25 yds from their normal distance. Feels so smooth and effortless and then I go to a "full swing" and it is hack city.
Your saying your half swing produced shots 20-25 yards shorter?

Your saying your half swing produced shots 20-25 yards shorter?

Yes, in approximate. It may have been 35-40 yds shorter. As you said, this "half swing" was probably alot closer to 75%.

The speed from the full swing is still in play on half swings. Your tempo shouldn't slow down.

My half swing still fly very close to a full swing

You have a really nice swing and with some minor adjustments you will hit the ball way better, and way more consistent.
swing_zpsf38f84de.png

Lets look at these 3 photos: The middle photo of your back swing looks great, and this is what your follow swing should look as well, but on the opposite side. Yes there are other things wrong with your swing but improving your release will make the game a ton more fun and you will stop shanking.

In my opinion you are shanking because you are not releasing the club. Look at photo number 1. You have great extension in your follow swing but by this point the club needs to be released. Your right hand should be on top of your left hand like in photo 2 on the back swing you, it should be exactly the opposite at that point.

And photo 3 is a a result of your non release of the club. You have major chicken wing going there because you are not releasing the club and you are basically holding on. Here is what it is supposed to look like.
els_club_release.jpg

Again just my opinion.

Also, I would not worry about your angle of attack. I don't believe you are over the top. Over the top is a unique term that is often over analyzed. Over the top means that your down swing is over the line of your back swing. In your case it is not a big deal because you drop the club down on a good line. Over the top is Brandon de Jonge's swing or Craig Parry's swing. But the average golf if they do this move its a huge slice. You do not have this move and would not worry about it one bit.

I think you're correct on the release. I've seen the same photo and also felt the motion that you reposted and wondered how my follow through got all wonky without realizing that I wasn't releasing the club head.

The over the top, may be slight, and is just slightly over my plane, but is really due to my casting, which is evidenced in the photo at impact position. I released my wrist hinge well before impact and at impact my hands are not ahead of the ball.

uvyzedun.jpg

However, speaking of the follow through, you are correct. Holding off that release and letting the club turnover is an issue.

I don't believe you really cast. Every motion has a opposite or equal reaction. In your case in what I see is that you stand up on the ball before you hit. If you stand up on the ball it is really hard to get the forward shaft lean at impact in which you are referring too where in a perfect swing you want your left hand in the middle of your left thigh.

I would do two things to correct this. 1. I would hit punch shots, which will help you release the club also, and try to hit the ball as low as you can. I bet your shots are high weak shots to the right. And 2. You need to try to keep your spine angle through impact. A swing thought for this would be to drive down, not lift up.

rory-mcilroy-golf-digest-swing-sequence-bnuclzd-louis-oosthuizen-613749723.jpg

Check out this swing sequence. What I want to show you is at impact and right after impact. Look at how he maintains his spine angle. And watch your video on how much you stand up. You want to drive through the shot and you will gain distance and consistency.

Also, look how the club head eventually passes the hands. In your swing the club head never really passes the hands.

The over the top, may be slight, and is just slightly over my plane, but is really due to my casting, which is evidenced in the photo at impact position. I released my wrist hinge well before impact and at impact my hands are not ahead of the ball.

uvyzedun.jpg

However, speaking of the follow through, you are correct. Holding off that release and letting the club turnover is an issue.

Are you confused yet?

Are you confused yet?

Nah, I think from your input and the other part about releasing my wrist hinge on the follow through I've got a decent idea of what I need to do.

When I hit those "half shots" that are so crisp and good ball flight, my attack angle is correct, I'm not casting and I'm getting a good release.

So often I'm concentrating on holding the lag and wrist cock that I'm struggling to let go and let the club head release, some of this is due to my forearm and grip pressure. And then I'm also struggling throwing my arms out on full downswings trying to get my hands ahead, but it working against me.

It sounds crazy all typed out, but I think in my head I've got it all boiled down to a few simple swing thoughts.

3/4 back
Hands first, right elbow into my side
Release club head

Working on practice swings in the evening when I can't hit balls that day. Trying to ingrain the proper habits.

Went to the range at lunch today again, finally getting some good weather.

Much better today, not a single shank out of 70 shots. I did really well with my 8 iron through wedges, especially when I kept the 3/4 swing thought. Struggled with 5-7 irons a bit more though.

My miss today was mainly left, pulls or pull hook, coming outside in. But all in all, much more pleased.

Don't be concerned at all with the outside in. I don't think it is much to worry about at all.

In fact, now since you are, and hopefully you are now releasing your hands properly so the ball will go left. And that's what you want. If you slice the ball, try to draw the ball or hook the ball. If you hook the ball try to slice the ball.

You want to develop feel. And with enough practice you will figure it out. Golf is a feel sport IMO.

Went to the range at lunch today again, finally getting some good weather.

Much better today, not a single shank out of 70 shots. I did really well with my 8 iron through wedges, especially when I kept the 3/4 swing thought. Struggled with 5-7 irons a bit more though.

My miss today was mainly left, pulls or pull hook, coming outside in. But all in all, much more pleased.

Thats good to hear. Why the struggle with the 5-7? What were you doing different with these clubs vs 8-wedge. I'd like you to get that right elbow moving down toward your right hip on the down swing. This will get you from swing outside in. We need to get you firing down the line not left of it.

Back