Any help and swing thoughts appreciated

Thats good to hear. Why the struggle with the 5-7? What were you doing different with these clubs vs 8-wedge. I'd like you to get that right elbow moving down toward your right hip on the down swing. This will get you from swing outside in. We need to get you firing down the line not left of it.

I'm not sure, it was progressively worse from 7 to 5. I was trying to make the same swing, but for some reason wasn't happening. I even dropped back down to a pw a couple times and then picked up the longer club again. Still a long ways to go working on that first move.

Should lower body initiate the downswing slightly?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure, it was progressively worse from 7 to 5. I was trying to make the same swing, but for some reason wasn't happening. I even dropped back down to a pw a couple times and then picked up the longer club again. Still a long ways to go working on that first move.

Should lower body initiate the downswing slightly?

yes the lower body should start the down swing. Since the swing take .5 sec from top to impact, it just a slight start with the hip pulling off the line away from the ball not toward the target.

This thread is nice. What would I have to do to get analyzed? iPad?

Take a video or your swing from down the line and behind. Post it in a thread and I'll come in with a break down of your swing

You actually have a very nice swing

thanks. It's always been natural, and I've only had about an hours worth of lessons in the 17 years I've been playing. However, since college came and then marriage, kids and career I just haven't had as much time to practice and play. Bad habits have crept in. I also expect way too much of myself, which doesn't help.

Well I played 18 with sme friends yesterday. It was a complete struggle. Worst round I've played in a long time.

Hit some great tee shots with my driver and 3 wood. Didn't hit a single good iron all day.

Didn't do any video, but struggled hitting everything fat, pulling shots, and everything else really. Gonna have to get back to the range and establish what I'm doing wrong.

I even hurt my hand on a fat shot. Hit way behind the ball and it was thick mud. Pretty sure I sprained some of those muscles on the top of my hand. Slightly swollen today and sore. That's representative of my game right now. Been playing for 17 years and never hurt myself, lol!

Generally what you described means you had an arm swing going and a ton of movement not needed in the swing.

Generally what you described means you had an arm swing going and a ton of movement not needed in the swing.

You are right. I had an aha moment last night about my backswing. The big arm swing has been the culprit making me go too far back. Starting with my arms going back around and then when I finally start turning my shoulders it forces me to go back even farther.

I need to start the backswing with my shoulder turn, keeping my hands and arms in tune with my body. This will make my hands stop when my shoulders stop and put me in a good position at the top.

You are right. I had an aha moment last night about my backswing. The big arm swing has been the culprit making me go too far back. Starting with my arms going back around and then when I finally start turning my shoulders it forces me to go back even farther.

I need to start the backswing with my shoulder turn, keeping my hands and arms in tune with my body. This will make my hands stop when my shoulders stop and put me in a good position at the top.

I'm working on the same move. I hope it treats you well.

I'm working on the same move. I hope it treats you well.

http://youtu.be/YI44u5Bdueg

Started thinking about how long my backswing has gotten and watching the telecasts yesterday I began thinking about making a more compact swing. Ended up finding this video, which described exactly what I was doing with my backswing.

That video is a touch silly to me. I'm not certified to be anything, so I won't judge

That video is a touch silly to me. I'm not certified to be anything, so I won't judge

So everything I have relayed to you is silly?! The video is exactly what I have been tell you for months. It's also what I share about how to get the club to the top.

Any help and swing thoughts appreciated

So everything I have relayed to you is silly?! The video is exactly what I have been tell you for months. It's also what I share about how to get the club to the top.

No. The "go quick" is silly to me. It looks to me like he goes so quick to the top that the club bounces. I'm not disagreeing with he swing thought about being connected and compact. Just the "go quick".

It's the concept of the compact backswing and how he gets to the top that I like... Could care less how quick he gets there, that's up to each to determine their own tempo.

So I went to the range today to work on this backswing, which I seemed to be able to get down fairly well. However, I am just flat out getting stuck with my hands wide open at impact. I can't figure it out for the life of me. This has been a recurring problem for the last several years. I feel like I'm getting my hands ahead of the ball, but they are wide open. Shots are high and right with the occasional skull or shank. I'm sure its a symptom of me trying to hold that angle, but I am lost. Looking at paying for several lessons with a pro I met last year, this will be the first time in forever and only my second lesson, but I don't feel like I can fix this by myself.

It sounds to me like you are out in front of the ball at impact which works leave the face open and cause a high right or skull.

Keep your head behind the ball at impact and hit the ball with back of your left hand. These two tips should help.

It sounds to me like you are out in front of the ball at impact which works leave the face open and cause a high right or skull.

Keep your head behind the ball at impact and hit the ball with back of your left hand. These two tips should help.

Yup, you're right.

Instead of hitting the ball with the back of my left hand, it's more like the outside edge of my left hand. My head is telling my hands to get out in front and my hands are trying to hold that angle so much that I'm holding the same angle all the way from the top through impact.

Really frustrating because it produces really bad shots, not just some misses here and there.

Yup, you're right.

Instead of hitting the ball with the back of my left hand, it's more like the outside edge of my left hand. My head is telling my hands to get out in front and my hands are trying to hold that angle so much that I'm holding the same angle all the way from the top through impact.

Really frustrating because it produces really bad shots, not just some misses here and there.

This move plagues the best in the world. Go
back and watch old TW footage against DL3 and Ernie. When they missed they missed high and right. So you're in good company

This move plagues the best in the world. Go
back and watch old TW footage against DL3 and Ernie. When they missed they missed high and right. So you're in good company

I think I got somewhere tonight taking some 80% swings inside. When I start the downswing with my hips, my hands follow and magically the clubhead/hands seem to be in a good impact position. When I start the downswing with my my hands and arms, I can't get it right and they're wide open. The downswing feels so natural and my hands feel unforced when I do it right.

I'll try to post some video for you in a few, and I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow evening.

Reporting back (long diary like read):

Got so frustrated that I finally decided to pony up for a few lessons from a local pro. First lesson he had me change my set up slightly, which at first was tough to get used to, but after a few minutes of only practice swings it started to feel alright. He widened my stance and then had me bend at the waist slightly more, extending the ball out a bit farther and lowering my hands.

We really worked on trying to keep my left (front leg) knee from collapsing so much on the downswing, because when I did that I was also dropping my upper body several inches. Had a real hard time doing that, but slowly got it to where I wasn't moving it much at all and staying level. This position also helped me limit my backswing, although it did make me feel like I couldn't get a full turn (which was probably a good thing really).

With everything considered, by the last 20 minutes of an hour long lesson my swing speed was up by alot and I was getting my hands to the ball first and creating lag. Results were great. 7 iron swing speed was averaging 85mph, with some higher and lower. Carry was great, in the 150-160 range. I even crushed one 169 carry.

I was ecstatic to say the least at the results. I went home with plans to come back the following week, and in the mean time groove the swing at home in the evenings and hopefully hit the range once or twice.

Then I lost it somewhere. I worked on the swing some at home (not sure if I was creating bad habits or what) and went to the range last Saturday afternoon, and that's where it went downhill. I think it was a combination of setting up too far from the ball and possibly other things, but the old over the top, outside to in, casting swings came back. Everything was either a weak fade (with divots coming across the ball) or it was fat, with a shank or two in there.

Then I went back for lesson #2 on Wednesday evening. Same swing, same results and the shanks came back big time by the end of the lesson.

What's really odd is even when I felt like I was hitting the ball well, my swing speed was in the low 70's and the ball was carrying 20 yards less. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get my hands first and I couldn't the speed back up. It baffled myself and the pro somewhat, he was miffed by my backwards direction. I was back to over the top and casting after crushing it the week prior.

Hit the range today on lunch break and not much different. Slightly better, but didn't hit a single 7 iron that even came close to carrying 150.

This game is so frustrating.

What adjustments did the pro make the first time that he failed to make the second time?
Reporting back (long diary like read):

Got so frustrated that I finally decided to pony up for a few lessons from a local pro. First lesson he had me change my set up slightly, which at first was tough to get used to, but after a few minutes of only practice swings it started to feel alright. He widened my stance and then had me bend at the waist slightly more, extending the ball out a bit farther and lowering my hands.

We really worked on trying to keep my left (front leg) knee from collapsing so much on the downswing, because when I did that I was also dropping my upper body several inches. Had a real hard time doing that, but slowly got it to where I wasn't moving it much at all and staying level. This position also helped me limit my backswing, although it did make me feel like I couldn't get a full turn (which was probably a good thing really).

With everything considered, by the last 20 minutes of an hour long lesson my swing speed was up by alot and I was getting my hands to the ball first and creating lag. Results were great. 7 iron swing speed was averaging 85mph, with some higher and lower. Carry was great, in the 150-160 range. I even crushed one 169 carry.

I was ecstatic to say the least at the results. I went home with plans to come back the following week, and in the mean time groove the swing at home in the evenings and hopefully hit the range once or twice.

Then I lost it somewhere. I worked on the swing some at home (not sure if I was creating bad habits or what) and went to the range last Saturday afternoon, and that's where it went downhill. I think it was a combination of setting up too far from the ball and possibly other things, but the old over the top, outside to in, casting swings came back. Everything was either a weak fade (with divots coming across the ball) or it was fat, with a shank or two in there.

Then I went back for lesson #2 on Wednesday evening. Same swing, same results and the shanks came back big time by the end of the lesson.

What's really odd is even when I felt like I was hitting the ball well, my swing speed was in the low 70's and the ball was carrying 20 yards less. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get my hands first and I couldn't the speed back up. It baffled myself and the pro somewhat, he was miffed by my backwards direction. I was back to over the top and casting after crushing it the week prior.

Hit the range today on lunch break and not much different. Slightly better, but didn't hit a single 7 iron that even came close to carrying 150.

This game is so frustrating.

What adjustments did the pro make the first time that he failed to make the second time?

To be honest, we sort of started where left off instead of starting at the beginning again - maybe that didn't help. Other than that, I still felt like I was in the same set up position and posture, but no matter what I tried I couldn't repeat that swing.

Maybe my posture is changing little by little, and as I don't hit the ball to my liking, I keep making minor adjustments hoping to get it right.

I'll get some video up tonight if possible. I feel like I know what I am doing wrong, but I just can't fix it and when I try I'll either exaggerate my error or create another swing flaw.

Well usually I get to this point around late fall, near hunting season. But much sooner this year. Just awful and ready to put the clubs up if it weren't for that insatiable drive in me to play good golf. I know good crisp iron contact is in me somewhere but for the life of me I can't do it.

Played our church scramble today. Decent drives, good chips and putts, but only 2 irons weren't fat and they weren't great but at least I didn't hit 2 inches behind the ball.

My #1 issue is still releasing early. In combination with, standing up through the impact, hanging back, dropping my upper body on backswing, and getting too long on backswing.

It's amazing how when I start to work on one thing, the others go wrong. Keeps me bouncong back and forth between thoughts and fixes and nothing gets accomplished.

Back