Titleist 714 AP2 - THP Review Thread

Let us know how the maiden voyage goes Rambler. I bet they look fantastic too.

Just sold my 710 Ap2's for very good coin that I've been playing for a few years. Wondering if it's a noticeable change to the 14's. Anyone hit them side by side with the 10's or 12's?

Funny story about this. I actually have both the 712's and the 714's. I bought the 712's used for cheap on Ebay. Then I have a friend who is a local pro and a Titleist rep who got me the 714's at cost. I will be gaming the 712's this year and the 714's next season. I have hit both side by side. I feel like they are VERY similar. The 714's launch slightly slightly slightly higher for me and are slightly more forgiving, especially towards the toe. Hope this helps.

Funny story about this. I actually have both the 712's and the 714's. I bought the 712's used for cheap on Ebay. Then I have a friend who is a local pro and a Titleist rep who got me the 714's at cost. I will be gaming the 712's this year and the 714's next season. I have hit both side by side. I feel like they are VERY similar. The 714's launch slightly slightly slightly higher for me and are slightly more forgiving, especially towards the toe. Hope this helps.

You nailed it IMO, bit more launch, little more toe side forgiveness with some of the weight shift. Solid irons, still have that same Titleist sound to them too.

And, they are gorgeous.

You nailed it IMO, bit more launch, little more toe side forgiveness with some of the weight shift. Solid irons, still have that same Titleist sound to them too.

And, they are gorgeous.

We were on the EXACT same page about these from the get go. Love when that happens. You, Hawk and me have been eerily on the same wavelength lately.

Ha! Double Ap2 duty for WCBM. I like it.

We were on the EXACT same page about these from the get go. Love when that happens. You, Hawk and me have been eerily on the same wavelength lately.

Hahaha, gotta love those "get out of my head!" moments.

These are seriously probably the best looking irons I have ever had in hand too, just classy, clean, and mean.

I say you should combo it up. But really make it interesting. Alternate 712 and 714 all the way up to your wedges.

Ha! Double Ap2 duty for WCBM. I like it.

Yup. The wife was less than excited. My friend was leaving his position for a different one at a VERY upgraded course so it was now or never time. I just had to pull the trigger.

Hahaha, gotta love those "get out of my head!" moments.

These are seriously probably the best looking irons I have ever had in hand too, just classy, clean, and mean.

They really are. I love looking at them. These and the Cobra pros are my favorites of all time (right now)

Yup. The wife was less than excited. My friend was leaving his position for a different one at a VERY upgraded course so it was now or never time. I just had to pull the trigger.

Your first mistake was notifying her :) They look very similar and you could have just passed them off as the same thing!

I say you should combo it up. But really make it interesting. Alternate 712 and 714 all the way up to your wedges.

hahhaha. Perhaps. Interesting idea.

Your first mistake was notifying her :) They look very similar and you could have just passed them off as the same thing!
When the boxes show up at the house its hard to be at all sneaky haha. AND she plays golf so she knows the difference. She called me out last year when I added a hybrid of the same line in a different loft on the course. She goes "when did you get the 4 hybo?" Then I felt guilty....

Burned! I am lucky to get home first and by sheer volume, she has no clue what I have in the house. Any questionable items are never discussed.

When the boxes show up at the house its hard to be at all sneaky haha. AND she plays golf so she knows the difference. She called me out last year when I added a hybrid of the same line in a different loft on the course. She goes "when did you get the 4 hybo?" Then I felt guilty....

lol that is the downside. Happens here as well.

Burned! I am lucky to get home first and by sheer volume, she has no clue what I have in the house. Any questionable items are never discussed.

I try to even it out and buy her things (like new irons etc.) I even asked if she wanted a new set because of the deal - lady AP2's. BUT she is like some of the tour guys. HATES to change equipment. Likes what she has. Point being, I even made an effort to get a female opinion on these irons but failed miserably.

Back to the irons, I will have some good feedback on the comparison between the two sets in the future as the set ups are exactly the same. Same shafts, flex, length, loft and lie. As I get these in the bag (probably not till 2015) I will update this thread frequently.

Let us know how the maiden voyage goes Rambler. I bet they look fantastic too.

They are a great looking set of irons - hopefully, I can do them justice. Of course, the weather just doesn't seem to be cooperating (as you probably know)... Still planning on Saturday, as long as it's not completely soggy.

Rambler did you get fit for the recoils? Which ones did you go with?

Do you have #'s from the steel shafts? Which steel if so?

I ask cause these are on the serious ponder list with graphite.

I totally think these should be high up on the ponder list.

I totally think these should be high up on the ponder list.

I just need to figure out shaft and spend some time with less forgiving options because I like making things difficult.

Although the smart me believes these are perfect and I can go low with them.

I just need to figure out shaft and spend some time with less forgiving options because I like making things difficult.

Although the smart me believes these are perfect and I can go low with them.

Honestly, I have never had better numbers with irons than I did than when I demoed these. The fitter literally said I would be a complete idiot not to buy them. And I agreed

Original shafts were DGS300, which I can play but prefer not to, so I was going to re-shaft, regardless. Did not get fit for the Recoils; had been wanting to try them (or a similar graphite shaft), anyway, as I have battled some elbow flare-ups the last few years. Plus, the THP feedback on Recoils was very positive. I found a set of 110 Prototypes and took the plunge.

Honestly, I have never had better numbers with irons than I did than when I demoed these. The fitter literally said I would be a complete idiot not to buy them. And I agreed

I actually put up identical #'s with these and the MB with the same shaft. Fitter says I'm a freak so we took them both outside ball flight, carry, height were the same to the eye and matched what the monitor said. I will go through another fitting before I purchase because I have had some serious swing changes since then.

Original shafts were DGS300, which I can play but prefer not to, so I was going to re-shaft, regardless. Did not get fit for the Recoils; had been wanting to try them (or a similar graphite shaft), anyway, as I have battled some elbow flare-ups the last few years. Plus, the THP feedback on Recoils was very positive. I found a set of 110 Prototypes and took the plunge.

Well that has me really curious as I was fit between the S300 and X100 into a tipped S300 but I really want graphite if I can get the right #'s.

Well that has me really curious as I was fit between the S300 and X100 into a tipped S300 but I really want graphite if I can get the right #'s.

I'm far from an expert on shafts, but I have also been fit into S300s. The Recoils I have are F4, and the shaft flex feels very appropriate for my swing (driver SS between 100 and 105, with an unfortunately bad casting motion). I have not tried the F5 in the Prototype models, but did swing an F5 in the "regular" 110s, and it was more stiff than mine, but didn't feel like it would have been a lot more effort to swing throughout my set.

Back