Range finders- Laser vs. GPS. Which do you use and why?

I picked up the leupold gx3i2 and I love it, crazy fast and is far more accurate than I will ever be with a golf shot. Huge fan of the bright red OLED display and the pin seeker 2 seems pretty legit

I have a gps for ease of use, but a laser would be much more helpful for me to figure out exact distances on my clubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I now have a laser rangefinder which is excellent for distances to pins, but I also still use my GPS as so many courses are still new to me. Being able to see the layout of the hole is really helpful, especially if I find myself on the wrong fairway and can't laser the pin from where I find myself.... :embarrassed:
So I chuck the laser in the net of my Clicgear buggy and keep my GPS on the scorecard holder under the elastic. Best of both worlds :)

I had the original SG2 but got sick of downloading and the subscription. I think the best bet is a laser range finder. I have the Bushnell and I really like it the only issue is with blind shots.

I'm currently using a Bushnell Tour V2, got a great deal on it and although it isn't the latest and greatest model it works wonderfully for me.

Laser because it's exact and fast. I want better accuracy than GPS provides. I have golf GPS apps on my phone and usually play with someone who has a dedicated GPS device. If it's a course that I've never played before, I may reference a GPS device a couple of times each round, but I find the range finder faster and certainly more accurate.

Absolutely LOVE my Bushnell Neo X GPS watch .. battery lasts forever! Accurate as ...
I can't wear it like a watch, so I carry it in my pocket. Just amazing what technology has done.
This thing is the real deal! Affordable? Phhht! Very!

I own a gps, but I am about to pick up a laser. I see where both are beneficial. The gps has served is purpose very nicely for the past few years, but I would like to know the exact distance to the flag on my approach shots and on par 3.

I just found a free app called Golf Rangefinder that uses Google earth to measure distances. It seems really easy to use and it shuts the gps off when the app is closed so the battery supposedly doesn't drain. I double checked some distances that I knew on my usual track and seemed pretty spot on accurate. I'll use it during my next round and report back. Save for exact pin distances, I think this app might be really useful.

I use Golfshot GPS which is great little app and for some reason my phone doesn't shake like a range finder does. :D

To the guys who use phone apps, are there any issues with battery drain?
Not with my S4, in a 4 hr round I usually have about 75% battery left.

I just found a free app called Golf Rangefinder that uses Google earth to measure distances. It seems really easy to use and it shuts the gps off when the app is closed so the battery supposedly doesn't drain. I double checked some distances that I knew on my usual track and seemed pretty spot on accurate. I'll use it during my next round and report back. Save for exact pin distances, I think this app might be really useful.
Sounds good, I plan to check back in when I receive the Garmin G8 that I just won. Always looking for good information when out on the course.

I only use my laser anymore. I have a couple apps on my phone but just never use them. The laser is just more convenient and gets me what I need quickly.

Back