which Cleveland Niblick?

BuckeyeMark

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a high handicapper and always want to improve my short game. Saw someone selling a "Cleveland Niblick" in the marketplace, was intrigued by that name, so I took a look. Ended up doing some further reading and these Niblick wedges have reviewed very well - both here and around the web.

So ... I am thinking of adding one to my arsenal. The question is, "Which one?"

There are at least three versions, as pictured. From the top there is the original (with the yellow insert on the back of the clubface), then they improved it (middle picture) and then they did away with the name Niblick entirely and are now calling it the "Smart Sole" (bottom picture - shiny!).

I can buy the original on fleabay for around $30-$40 while the current iteration costs more like $72.00. Thought I'd ask: does anyone have any experience hitting these? Sometimes the older models are actually better (and cheaper!). I'd appreciate your thoughts on Cleveland Niblicks. Which one should I buy? Thanks!

ClevelandNiblicks_zps676487fc.jpg

I liked the current one the best, but to be honest it is not a Niblick, but their new C wedge. Similar in look, yes, but there are some subtle differences including the weighting that just made me love it.

I've not played the Smart Sole, so I can't comment on that one. I wish they offered more lofts.

You'll pry the original ones out of my cold, dead hands. ;) The prices on those vary by which loft you are after. For instance, the 49s are extremely rare. You can find a lot of the 42s.

I didn't like the middle one. Give me ugly, unconventional, the big alignment line and the zip grooves.

I think both the original and the 2011 Niblick series are very good indeed, but having played both, I recommend the 2011 series in all (3) lofts. Unlike the original Niblicks, the 2011 series actually have PW, DW, and SW stamped on the sole, making it clear which conventional wedges these Niblick Hybrid Wedges are designed to replace. (Note: DW is synonomous with a Gap Wedge). The 2011 series of Niblicks offer a more refined and attractive headshape and have the newer conforming grooves. (Tour Zip Grooves).

Though the originals supposedly offer higher spin, I have not noticed any difference in performance between the original Niblicks and the 2011 series. This opinion applies for both short shots around the green and full swing shots from the fairway. The lofts are the same, (42*, 49* and 56*), but the 37* (9-iron), formerly available in the original series was not carried over to the 2011 models. I doubt you would miss the 37* model anyway. (It had a bit too much rollout for the faster greens I play). In my opinion, the more popular 42* loft is perfect for chipping and bump-and-runs, while the 49* is the best option for pitch shots. As for the 56*, I have been extremely impressed with how good that one is for lob shots. It gets a lot of attention for how easy it makes the sand game, but I love it just as much for the lob shot. It is just so much easier to judge distance on lob shots using the 56* Niblick instead of a higher lofted conventional wedge.

That said, please keep in mind that the 56* Niblick has 14* of bounce. That can be too much bounce for certain difficult lies that you will occasionally encounter. I therefore recommend that you also consider a 60* conventional wedge with a lower bounce. A lower bounce and higher loft is a better option for buried sand lies, downhill lies in the sand, and lob shots from very firm or hardpan lies.

I use and specifically recommend the Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 60* Low Bounce Wedge with 8* of bounce. I find this wedge to be the perfect low bounce companion to my 56* Niblick and it is also a cosmetic match with the 2011 series of Niblicks. The addition of the 60* CG16 completes what I consider to be the perfect 4-wedge set. A setup that is extremely versatile, and optimized for scoring improvement!

I haven't yet tried the new 2-club Smart Sole Set from Cleveland and have no plan to do so. I can't imagine that any 2-wedge set could possibly compete with my 4-wedge setup. While the Smart Sole "C" and the 42* Niblick look to be pretty much the same club, I really can't a 58* Smart Sole "S" replacing (3) of my wedges, (49*, 56* Niblicks and the 60* CG16 conventional wedge).

I consider the 49* Niblick is a very important weapon in my wedge arsenal and extremely good from both the fairway and around the greens. I also love the Niblick 56* Sand/Lob Wedge, and the security of a lower bounce 60* CG16 conventional wedge option for some of the difficult lies that I mentioned above.

My experience over many years has taught me that a 4-wedge setup works best for me because it covers all the bases in terms of what lies I might encounter on the course. Having played various wedge setups over those many years, I am thoroughly convinced this one is best. I have seen significant scoring improvement since switching to this particular setup which is why I recommend it to others.

Special Note to those with the original Niblicks, (i.e. those Niblicks produced by Cleveland prior to model year 2011): Should you decide to add a 60* low bounce wedge, you may prefer the CG14 Black Pearl 60* Low Bounce Wedge over the CG16. The same bounce option is available plus the CG14 has the older style zip grooves like the orginal Niblicks have. Furthermore, the CG14 Black Pearl Wedges are a perfect cosmetic match with the original Niblick series.

I realize this post is "a long read" compared with most others on this forum, but hopefully it will be helpful to the OP and others in deciding "Which Niblick to Buy".

Cheers to all!

:D

Last edited:
I think both the original and the 2011 Niblick series are very good indeed, but having played both, I recommend the 2011 series in all (3) lofts. Unlike the original Niblicks, the 2011 series actually have PW, DW, and SW stamped on the sole, making it clear which conventional wedges these Niblick Hybrid Wedges are designed to replace. (Note: DW is synonomous with a Gap Wedge). The 2011 series of Niblicks offer a more refined and attractive headshape and have the newer conforming grooves. (Tour Zip Grooves).

Though the originals supposedly offer higher spin, I have not noticed any difference in performance between the original Niblicks and the 2011 series. This opinion applies for both short shots around the green and full swing shots from the fairway. The lofts are the same, (42*, 49* and 56*), but the 37* (9-iron), formerly available in the original series was not carried over to the 2011 models. I doubt you would miss the 37* model anyway. (It had a bit too much rollout for the faster greens I play). In my opinion, the more popular 42* loft is perfect for chipping and bump-and-runs, while the 49* is the best option for pitch shots. As for the 56*, I have been extremely impressed with how good that one is for lob shots. It gets a lot of attention for how easy it makes the sand game, but I love it just as much for the lob shot. It is just so much easier to judge distance on lob shots using the 56* Niblick instead of a higher lofted conventional wedge.

That said, please keep in mind that the 56* Niblick has 14* of bounce. That can be too much bounce for certain difficult lies that you will occasionally encounter. I therefore recommend that you also consider a 60* conventional wedge with a lower bounce. A lower bounce and higher loft is a better option for buried sand lies, downhill lies in the sand, and lob shots from very firm or hardpan lies.

I use and specifically recommend the Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 60* Low Bounce Wedge with 8* of bounce. I find this wedge to be the perfect low bounce companion to my 56* Niblick and it is also a cosmetic match with the 2011 series of Niblicks. The addition of the 60* CG16 completes what I consider to be the perfect 4-wedge set. A setup that is extremely versatile, and optimized for scoring improvement!

I haven't yet tried the new 2-club Smart Sole Set from Cleveland and have no plan to do so. I can't imagine that any 2-wedge set could possibly compete with my 4-wedge setup. While the Smart Sole "C" and the 42* Niblick look to be pretty much the same club, I really can't a 58* Smart Sole "S" replacing (3) of my wedges, (49*, 56* Niblicks and the 60* CG16 conventional wedge).

I consider the 49* Niblick is a very important weapon in my wedge arsenal and extremely good from both the fairway and around the greens. I also love the Niblick 56* Sand/Lob Wedge, and the security of a lower bounce 60* CG16 conventional wedge option for some of the difficult lies that I mentioned above.

My experience over many years has taught me that a 4-wedge setup works best for me because it covers all the bases in terms of what lies I might encounter on the course. Having played various wedge setups over those many years, I am thoroughly convinced this one is best. I have seen significant scoring improvement since switching to this particular setup which is why I recommend it to others.

Special Note to those with the original Niblicks, (i.e.those Niblicks produced by Cleveland prior to model year 2011): Should you decide to add a 60* low bounce wedge, you may prefer the CG14 Black Pearl 60* Low Bounce Wedge over the CG16. The same bounce option is available plus the CG14 has the older style zip grooves like the orginal Niblicks have. Furthermore, the CG14 Black Pearl Wedges are a perfect cosmetic match with the original Niblick series.

I realize this post is "a long read" compared with most others on this forum, but hopefully it will be helpful to the OP and others in deciding "Which Niblick to Buy".

Cheers to all!

:D

Bobcat: This is a great post for anyone interested in the Niblicks. On the originals, versus the "second gen," I guess it is different strokes for different folks. I like the original ones better. I have a buddy who prefers the second gen.

I think all these points are spot on:
- 37 is probably the most hit or miss. It really depends on the course setup and how much you like hitting irons. If you're building an all hybrid type of bag, then the 37 is a must have for the 9 iron replacement. If you play on slower greens, then it provides the perfect amount of roll out on chips.
- 42 is the perfect chipper. I've never holed out more chips with any club than I have with this one. Last round I holed out 1 out of 2. The round before I holed out 2 out of 5 and left 2 others close enough for tap ins. I'm a high handicap hack, and this is just unreal for me. It also takes the pressure off from having to hit the green with the approach shot. As long as I'm not in the sand, I feel fairly confident that I can get down in 2.
- The 56 is perfect for lobs, full swings and pitches that get the ball up in the air fast. It is also great for the bump stop chip where the ball checks up quickly taking the speed off. That's nice for a downhill chip.
- The 49 is probably the best of all worlds. It's the best gap wedge I've ever used on full swings. Pitching is great with it it too. If you only had one, you could chip with it as well.
- If one is playing the 56, he may want a thinner soled 60 to pair with it for weird lies or the sand.
- 2010 Niblicks pair perfectly with the CG14. I have a CG14 60 (high bounce) for sand usage when I want to play with the 56 Niblick and a CG14 56 (high bounce) if for some reason I just want to stop at the 49.

Thanks Ryebread and the OP...Glad you found my post useful..

:act-up:

thanks everybody for the help. I bought the 2011 edition of the 42 and 49 today. am thinking of getting the smart sole wedge for sand play. read that thread and there is talk about how easily the S wedge pops the ball out.

WTB a 49* niblick, if anyone has one 4 sale.

WTB a 49* niblick, if anyone has one 4 sale.

Welcome to THP dude. I hope you find one, they are just a hell of a lot of fun.

I got my hands on a 2011 42° version, and I don't like the feel of that one at all compared to the original. The weighting was completely off for me. So if anyone wants a 2011 42° model, I have one with a total of 5 swings on it.

I got my hands on a 2011 42° version, and I don't like the feel of that one at all compared to the original. The weighting was completely off for me. So if anyone wants a 2011 42° model, I have one with a total of 5 swings on it.

For me the second gen just wasn't that appealing. Others seem to like them though. I guess it is different strokes for different folks.

I can't see the 2010s coming out of the bag until the grooves wear off.

I have the 2011 56 degree.

I tried to upgrade to a Smart Sole 58 this summer, and I liked it... but when I went back to the Niblick 56, I was hitting these great high lobs from the greenside rough. Effortless. Better than any lob wedge I've tried.

So, right now, I'm going to go with a Niblick 56 for my lob wedge. It's not as versatile as a traditional lob wedge, but it's so automatic for me. I love the head shape, and the ball always seems to high and land soft.

Niblick 56 are somewhat rare, but if you get the chance to try it, I highly recommend it.

I originally bought it for my girlfriend, but I hit it so well that I keep it in my bag.

I have played the original Niblicks and the newer-style 2011 models. While both series play virtually the same, the 2011's are the better-looking clubs. I also applaud Cleveland for putting PW/DW/SW on the bottom of the SOLES for the (3) 2011 models, to clearly indicate which clubs the Niblicks are designed to replace.

I currently play all (3) lofts in the 2011 Niblick series. (42*, 49* and 56*), along with a 60* low bounce Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl conventional wedge which is a perfect cosmetic match with my 2011 Niblicks. I find this combo the perfect 4-wedge setup for me, and I can't imagine ever wanting to change it. It has worked very well for several years now and confidence in my short game is at an all-time high. In 2013 I bought backups for all (4) clubs because I know at some point the grooves will wear out.

Note: One other difference that I almost forgot to mention: There was a 37* (9-iron) model with the original Niblick series that was NOT carried over to the 2011 Niblick models. Although 37* is considered a "chipper" loft, most people found the 37* Niblick tends to "run out" a bit too much on normal greens. I doubt anyone misses, the 37* Niblick, unless you happen to play courses with extremely slow greens.

I have the 2011 56 degree.

I tried to upgrade to a Smart Sole 58 this summer, and I liked it... but when I went back to the Niblick 56, I was hitting these great high lobs from the greenside rough. Effortless. Better than any lob wedge I've tried.

So, right now, I'm going to go with a Niblick 56 for my lob wedge. It's not as versatile as a traditional lob wedge, but it's so automatic for me. I love the head shape, and the ball always seems to high and land soft.

Niblick 56 are somewhat rare, but if you get the chance to try it, I highly recommend it.

I originally bought it for my girlfriend, but I hit it so well that I keep it in my bag.

I agree with you about the Niblick 56*. Just a great club for Lob shots as well as sand shots. Although I still carry a low bounce 60* for use in certain situations (hardpan or very firm sand), I prefer the 56* Niblick for most of my lob shots. Very predicatable results with the 56* Niblick. Love it for Lobs!

Back