Etiquette question: talking to someone else's ball

I do it from time to time, so it doesn't really bother me. The only exception sends to be the girls on big break. I don't know why, but when they start satin sit, sit, sit, it just goes right through me.

I do it from time to time, so it doesn't really bother me. The only exception sends to be the girls on big break. I don't know why, but when they start satin sit, sit, sit, it just goes right through me.

I call it the sit sit, settle, settle show. They have gone completely overboard the past few years saying it.

Maybe that's why I started hating hearing it so much!

How do you feel about people talking to your golf ball?

"Get down" or "Land soft". Does it matter if it's praise?

Do you do it yourself? Are there rules about what's acceptable?

I do it. I also have no issues if anybody talks to my ball in the air.

Im guilty of speaking when I shouldn't, but try to live by the old golf adage....."keep your mouth off my Balls...."

seriously though, it doesn't bother me. They didnt HIT it, so whatever they say won't really matter...right?!

JM

Etiquete question: talking to the ball

Etiquete question: talking to the ball

I talk to my ball all the time and probably ( okay I am pretty sure I do) to others as well.

This is a classic on how you talk to a ball.
If you wish you can forward to about 2:10 into the vid

I think I talk to my ball and likely speak to other's balls as well. I always throw out the nice shots as well. I don't care what anyone says to my ball, clubs, etc.

I try not to anymore. The realization that the golf ball is an inanimate object and, once set on its ballistic flight path at impact, cannot be altered by me asking for something amazing to happen.

I've moved on to talking to my clubs. While they're inanimate objects, too, the ball is just doing what the club told it to at impact. So you might here, "Why did we do that?" or "That's how we do it!" It's like hi-fiving my five iron.

I'm there to have fun doesn't bother me at all.

I talk to my ball all the time....and I will talk to yours too.....sit....settle....git down, get legs....bite....whatever works

If cursing counts, then yeah, I talk to my ball. And clubs, and myself sometimes. Stupid $#%^ing ball.

THP #theking #imwithchad

I take it one step farther. If the ball doesn't listen, I chuck it in the drink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shout at my ball all the time with such helpful gems like "Come around!" "Go!" and "Sit!"
Other people can shout at it too if they want...it can't hurt.

I will admit that the guy yelling "Bite!" after blading a chip out of the rough is futility at its finest.

"Monk Out"...has something to do with monkeys throwing coconuts out of the jungle.....say it when you hit a famous duck hook into the tree....it just may bounce back for you....has work for me once or twice:banana:

I talk to mine sometimes and I also talk to my buddies im with. I think it just happens, I don't do it on purpose.

As long as they don't ask it to go for a bath I don't care.

I will happily say 'Good shot' or 'Nice one' when a shot turns out well or 'Bad luck' if they get a bad bounce to anyone I am playing with but if they don't look like they want to hear it then I will refrain from it for the rest of the round

If I am playing with people I know then there will be question-like comments such as 'Not sure if that is going to get there' or 'That looks long', but I am not one for the 'Go! Go! Go!' or 'Sit! Sit! Sit!' comments

I don't talk out loud to the ball, maybe I'm thinking it, but never say it. As far as others, if they want to talk to my ball that's fine. It never listens anyway.

I do and don't have a problem with anyone doing it. Honestly there are times I say things that are almost involuntary!

98% of the time I don't mind someone talking to my ball, I talk to my ball and others as well. Though I do have a problem if its just a straight pull or push and you can see its not coming back and disappointed and 'that guy' is saying 'Cut, Cut, Cut!', or 'Come on Back!' I say this with full disclosure that there are times these are appropriate if the ball is showing some motion of savior, but when its a dead pull on a straight line you can see it and thats the 2% of 'that guy' I don't like

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I dont mind people talking to their ball or my ball. I couldnt care less if they hit a duck hook and they are saying "Cut" to their ball.

I paid attention yesterday to who talked to their ball and who didn't. Played with a friend and a couple of people I did not know, but the friend did. Everyone talked to their ball, and each others. If I hadn't specifically made it a point to think about it, I wouldn't have even considered it. I do more cursing at my ball than anything else. Maybe when it starts behaving for me I'll have nicer things to say.

How do you feel about people talking to your golf ball? It doesn't bother me when other people talk at my golf ball, I'm usually unaware of it.

"Get down" or "Land soft". Does it matter if it's praise? I find if other people are talking at your ball it's usually to "help". good shot, good swing, good stroke - that's praise, but see above.

Do you do it yourself? Are there rules about what's acceptable? I will occasionally talk to my ball to get a bounce or at the wind but I make a real effort not to talk to the ball of other people, some can get pissed about it.

I just cant seem to grasp one being annoyed if another talks to his ball. Just think how rediculous this sounds.

"hey man!, dont be talkin to may ball!"
Like as if the person is talking about ones mother or something.
Like as if the ball actually knows its being talked to

I mean really? Its a friggin ball for crying out out! Lets get real.

Sticks and stones may brake my bones but names will never hurt me however talking to my ball will kill me? Oh now you have crossed the line!

I mean are we kidding that people get annoyed by this? Most people most the times are simply pulling for you to have a good shot. Mostly offfering words of encouragement as though wishing your ball ends up with a bettr result.

Unless your talking about competition where an idiot apponant wishes out loud that your hit ball doesnt result in a well placed shot I just dont see one being angry. And even then its all in the spirit of competition so deal with it.

I do it all the time. Once the ball leaves the club, we've done all we can do to influence its flight - the rest is up to the ball, and some vocal inspirational advice certainly can't do any harm.

Back