1960's MacGregor #2 Iron.

66Tiger

Golf > Work = :^)
Reaction score
Handicap
Beer&Soju
So this is what the MacGregor #2 iron looks like next to my #4 iron. Apparently MacGregor in the late 60's made "super light" sets of irons and this is one of them. It's a MacGregor Jack Nicklaus R085 Champion. I got it for $2 at a thrift store on Yongsan. Took it to the range and I can hit it only about 120 yards.

I had to close the face till it was parallel to the ball and I could just see the top of the head and take a stronger grip for it to hit the ball straight.

10154727_10201992619882716_996286058_n.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting looking club. Nice thrift store find, gotta love those when you find something unique.

THP #theking #imwithchad

The condition of that looks quite good.

That club looks great, game it lol.

That club looks pristine!

I once bought a 2-iron blade with some kind of old steel shaft at a thrift store just to see what it was like. Thank goodness for perimeter weighting is all I have to say.

The club's appearance is due to scrubbing with a brass brush and some WD40. There was rust when I bought it.

That's in great shape. It's fun to hit the old stuff once in a while, brings me back. I'll take forgiveness any day though.

That's really nice condition. I have a PowerBilt Citation 2 and 3 iron I bought off of eBay for cheap in similar condition. Repaint filled them and they look spiffy! They're fun to bring out to range and hit every once in awhile.

Awesome find! Amazing what players of yesteryear could do with the technology at the time

Well shut my mouth....I took it out today and used it off the tee on #4. Same strong grip and closing the face. Damn ball went over 200 yards with a left fade and was one of the best drives. Only played four holes due to dropping temps and rain. Will try it again tomorrow when I play 18.

Great shot! The old stuff works pretty well, when you catch em on the sweet spot.

Back