Need help deciding on irons!

TrentonF

Reaction score
Handicap
So currently I'm playing nike high launch slingshots. I have been playing okay with them but it seems like that the shots I'm hitting just are not doing it for me. When I hit a ball flush it doesn't seem like it's going as far as it should, but on the bright side the occasional mis hit is not as bad as it should be. I just got the tax refund and it's going to go towards the irons. I am currently looking at the cobra bio cells and mizuno jpx-ez. I am around a 12 handicap and have around 700 to spend on the clubs. Any feedback I can get would be helpful! Thanks and God bless!!

So currently I'm playing nike high launch slingshots. I have been playing okay with them but it seems like that the shots I'm hitting just are not doing it for me. When I hit a ball flush it doesn't seem like it's going as far as it should, but on the bright side the occasional mis hit is not as bad as it should be. I just got the tax refund and it's going to go towards the irons. I am currently looking at the cobra bio cells and mizuno jpx-ez. I am around a 12 handicap and have around 700 to spend on the clubs. Any feedback I can get would be helpful! Thanks and God bless!!

Welcome to THP

Any chance you have the ability to go into a shop or get a fitting and try out as many as you can and let the numbers speak for themselves? Should help take the guess work out of it.

Outside of that I dont have any experience with the Nike's but I am a fan of the bio cells

I would second what MikeDean said about getting fit....there has to be somewhere reasonably close where you can get a fitting....I know I will never buy a set of irons again without a fitting.

I game the JPX EZ's and love'em there great clubs. Going and hitting them and trying all the ones in your price range with a professional is always the best option on a launch monitor and outside if available IMO.

Wow first off I want to say.. Thank you for responding so quickly. I currently am unable to hit all of the clubs because the only place around to try them is at dicks around here and they only have the demo clubs of these two sets. From what I can tell I hit the 7 irons about the same at about 190 yards and with a small draw ball flight.

If you're playing to a 12, then you've got a fairly consistent swing. I'd say get fitted and go in with an open mind. You may be surprised about where you end up.

I would caution to find someone independent and reputable in your area. I don't think going to one of the box stores, hitting on their sims and having the 18-22 year old kid help you is really much of a fitting. Use that as more of a way to thin the heard.

The Slingshots were pretty good irons. I personally liked the Sumos better of the similar iterations from Nike.

Shafts have lightened up since then. I think that'd be the biggest thing that would change your distance. Those Nikes might well come with 120 gram steel shafts, and you might find an 85 gram steel one or 55 gram graphite one that can provide you similar launch and torque characteristics. The byproduct of that will be a faster swing.

Lofts have gotten stronger, which will "improve" distance relative to what is stamped on the head. Keep that in mind when you do your fitment. Don't just look down at see 7 on your club and 7 on the new club. Know the loft on your club, compare that with what they hand you and also look at the shaft length. The new 7 will quite possibly be like a 6 in your set.

Slingshots aren't as forgiving on lateral or vertical mishits as their looks might suggest. They're about like the JPX EZ or BioCell, though the newer clubs might have slightly hotter faces.

If you're playing to a 12, then you've got a fairly consistent swing. I'd say get fitted and go in with an open mind. You may be surprised about where you end up.

I would caution to find someone independent and reputable in your area. I don't think going to one of the box stores, hitting on their sims and having the 18-22 year old kid help you is really much of a fitting. Use that as more of a way to thin the heard.

The Slingshots were pretty good irons. I personally liked the Sumos better of the similar iterations from Nike.

Shafts have lightened up since then. I think that'd be the biggest thing that would change your distance. Those Nikes might well come with 120 gram steel shafts, and you might find an 85 gram steel one or 55 gram graphite one that can provide you similar launch and torque characteristics. The byproduct of that will be a faster swing.

Lofts have gotten stronger, which will "improve" distance relative to what is stamped on the head. Keep that in mind when you do your fitment. Don't just look down at see 7 on your club and 7 on the new club. Know the loft on your club, compare that with what they hand you and also look at the shaft length. The new 7 will quite possibly be like a 6 in your set.

Slingshots aren't as forgiving on lateral or vertical mishits as their looks might suggest. They're about like the JPX EZ or BioCell, though the newer clubs might have slightly hotter faces.

My last two sets, RBZ and Nike Covert, fall into the above category. They're pretty much an inch longer and a stronger loft, something I'm now trying to get away from.

Wow first off I want to say.. Thank you for responding so quickly. I currently am unable to hit all of the clubs because the only place around to try them is at dicks around here and they only have the demo clubs of these two sets. From what I can tell I hit the 7 irons about the same at about 190 yards and with a small draw ball flight.

190 with a 7 iron is pretty long, even for tour players as you'd have to be swinging that club over 110mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to play the Nike Slingshots. I played them for years. I currently play the Cobra Amp Cells. Love 'em. I did try the Mizuno JPX EZ and JPX EZ forged. I loved the EZs but the Amps were about equal.

DO go and get fitted. Different shafts and lies will make a BIG difference.

190 with a 7 iron is pretty long, even for tour players as you'd have to be swinging that club over 110mph

My swing speed is around 111-115 mph and the 7 iron and up is the best part of my game because of it... but Im lacking from 150 and in. I love hitting the ball long because thats my job in the scramble team I'm on but anything from 8 iron and below i greatly need to improve.

So your driver speed must be in the 120-130 mph range...which would be higher than the average tour players swing speed and you're higher than most of them with your iron club head speed as well.

So your driver speed must be in the 120-130 mph range...which would be higher than the average tour players swing speed and you're higher than most of them with your iron club head speed as well.

The highest speed on my driver I have ever recorded was 120.

That being said... Distance is not an issue with me, ball control is and I am trying to find a set that can help with that. thats why i was looking at the Bio cell irons that have the tungsten weights in them as to keep the face from twisting at impact.

they both irons are very good i like the bio cells personally
go get fit and see which one works best for you

there are so many good options out there in today's market. The two you mentioned are certainly high on the list. Me personally, I won't be buying new irons until I can also squeeze a proper fitting into my budget. I think a decent golfer can adjust pretty well to any club, but having ones that fit you perfectly is a much better approach. there's a reason why the tour vans have very detailed specs on what each of their players require. IMO dropping a wad of cash on shiny new sticks is always fun, but doing that and *knowing* they're the right ones... priceless.

Need help deciding on irons!

I'd also say try the Titleist 714 AP1's or AP2's
That said, a fitting could easily tell you what's best for you

Ping i25 may be great option too. The most important is shaft fitting IMO. especially since you swing hard. In my local Dicks there is a PGA pro and have decent amount of demos. I recommend a fitting over just buying for sure

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Judging by your handicap I would highly recommend my gamer the Titleist 714 AP1s or the Mizuno EZs. I just got a new set a couple months ago so I tested quite a bit of clubs including "tour" irons and those two were my favorite. I settled on the Ap1's solely because of looks, they were both pretty equal performance wise and feel wise but I liked the looks of the Titleist better which is why I went with them. But regardless I'd highly recommend both of them, they were both easy to hit, long and unlike other "distance" or "game improvement" irons they were very workable and had great feel.

Back