Bending Cast Irons

loquaciouspanda

loquaciouspanda
Reaction score
Handicap
My Swing
I just got my RocketBladez Tours today, and I am having them bent 2 degrees flatter. The golf pro said that there is always a possibility of the club snapping at the hosel. How much of a chance is there that one club (or more-yikes!) of the seven clubs has snapped? Will TaylorMade cover this under a warranty (it is a real TM product.)?

You could always send them to TM to have them bent. there is always a chance if your fitter bends them then one will break i don't know what chance that would be if it does break because bending i don't think TM will warranty the head. The rbladz tours also have a notch in the head to make bending easier

for most cast clubs, 1-2* should be doable, but more than that is asking for trouble. Some are built with "bending notches" to make this easier. Most of the time if you need them bent, you should consider ordering them with that lie. I know TM uses different molds for their custom lie options. It says something to me if they're willing to go through the trouble of creating that mold and casting 2* flat or upright heads. They might not like bending them, either :)

You could always send them to TM to have them bent. there is always a chance if your fitter bends them then one will break i don't know what chance that would be if it does break because bending i don't think TM will warranty the head. The rbladz tours also have a notch in the head to make bending easier

looking at pics, I don't see the notch in the rbladez tour model. it's there on the speedblade, but even then I've had shops refuse to bend mine. I really do need 2* up but I haven't found a place to have it done other than TM.

looking at pics, I don't see the notch in the rbladez tour model. it's there on the speedblade, but even then I've had shops refuse to bend mine. I really do need 2* up but I haven't found a place to have it done other than TM.
It is a line on the lower hozel it is on there the just increased the size on the speed bladez and TP

I had my wedges bent 2* upright and they are fine. That said though, the pro did remark on how soft the metal was.

for most cast clubs, 1-2* should be doable, but more than that is asking for trouble.

This is not entirely accurate. Can be dependent on the club shape, metal used, etc.

It depends on the metal used. I had a set of TM Tour Burner irons and had a shop bend them 4 degrees upright and extend them 1.25 inches. The hosel never cracked or showed stress marks.

It depends on the metal used. I had a set of TM Tour Burner irons and had a shop bend them 4 degrees upright and extend them 1.25 inches. The hosel never cracked or showed stress marks.

Then add simple designs such as blades, wedges, etc and you have no problem bending. We spoke to the folks on the Cleveland Tour Van recently about this very thing becuase they were bending some CG15 wedges for a LPGAer that still uses them. He said he can bend those wedges as much or little as he wants because they are so soft. The same can be said for Vokey wedges, that I have personally bent 4.5 degrees with no issues.

Many irons are similar and will come down the metal used as well as the style of the club. In a perfect world limited bending would be needed, because obviously less is better, but it certainly can be done.

Here's some stuff from a TaylorMade Q&A on Tour Diaries when the RocketBladez Tour irons came out:

[h=3]What’s the notch on the back of the hosel for?[/h]The notch on the back of the RocketBladez hosel makes it much easier to bend the head to adjust the line angle.
[h=3]Can I bend this club myself?[/h]We don’t recommend trying to bend the clubhead yourself to change the lie angle. Instead you should take it to a professional clubfitter, and even he or she shouldn’t , change the lie angle by more than 2 degrees in either direction

for most cast clubs, 1-2* should be doable, but more than that is asking for trouble. Some are built with "bending notches" to make this easier. Most of the time if you need them bent, you should consider ordering them with that lie. I know TM uses different molds for their custom lie options. It says something to me if they're willing to go through the trouble of creating that mold and casting 2* flat or upright heads. They might not like bending them, either :)

Not necessarily true. My G20's are cast and can be bent up to 5°.

I has my Rocketbladez bent flat 3 degrees with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always good to learn new things, I too thought around two degrees was the limit for cast irons.

Cast or forged makes no difference on how much irons can be bent. The quality of, and composition of the stainless steel, with the added complexity of how they are heat treated, give them their bending characteristics.

Any iron head can break in the bending process, but a quality shop with the right equipment will generally do fine.

The Tour Preferred CB had to be sent to TM to be bent. Took it to Goldsmith and it wouldn't budge. TM took care of it free of charge

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I was going by what the experts at Adams told me when I asked. They may have been talking specifically about tmag stuff though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back