TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

But with there amazing short game they can get away with it

True. For the average player it's always a compromise of some sorts. Distance is a big advantage if it is also even somewhat accurate.

ap9lgGp.png

I am digging the white. Wondering if it makes its way across the Pacific.

Plus, they're Japanese. So they have to be amazing.

Really hoping they come out with the SLDR in white!

Tap-tap taparoo

Something has me wanting to give the SLDR another shot. Have had good numbers with it in the past, but not sure the shaft or loft was set properly. So, really would like to get out on the range with the fitting cart and CG2 along the 913 and Bio Cell. The next month or two should be fun.

Today was Demo Day at my club, so I got to play with some TaylorMade clubs a bit. My experience with the SLDR was quite interesting. I matched it up against my normal gamer, a Titleist D2 9.5 with Aldila RIP 70R Alpha custom shaft at 44.5 inches. The SLDR had the stock Fujikura Speeder 57 and was 10.5 and 45.5 inches in length. I hit 5 balls with my gamer, and then 5 with the SLDR. The SLDR gave me 5.5 yards more distance after averaging both. The TM Rep then reset the SLDR to 12* and I hit another 5 balls. This set up yielded a 12 yard gain over my Titleist. This was quite encouraging, but not the most surprising thing, at least for me. I had expected a little more distance just due to the lighter, longer shaft. Perhaps not 12 yards more, but some. But, I expected to lose a little bit of accuracy for the same reasons. In fact, the dispersion was tighter with the SLDR--and so consistently tight I actually drew a few oohs from the crowd standing around. Bottom line is that this experiment was quite encouraging, and when I get fitted next month, I hope to possibly pick up a little more improvement with a custom shaft. We'll see.

Today was Demo Day at my club, so I got to play with some TaylorMade clubs a bit. My experience with the SLDR was quite interesting. I matched it up against my normal gamer, a Titleist D2 9.5 with Aldila RIP 70R Alpha custom shaft at 44.5 inches. The SLDR had the stock Fujikura Speeder 57 and was 10.5 and 45.5 inches in length. I hit 5 balls with my gamer, and then 5 with the SLDR. The SLDR gave me 5.5 yards more distance after averaging both. The TM Rep then reset the SLDR to 12* and I hit another 5 balls. This set up yielded a 12 yard gain over my Titleist. This was quite encouraging, but not the most surprising thing, at least for me. I had expected a little more distance just due to the lighter, longer shaft. Perhaps not 12 yards more, but some. But, I expected to lose a little bit of accuracy for the same reasons. In fact, the dispersion was tighter with the SLDR--and so consistently tight I actually drew a few oohs from the crowd standing around. Bottom line is that this experiment was quite encouraging, and when I get fitted next month, I hope to possibly pick up a little more improvement with a custom shaft. We'll see.

With how consistent you swing your driver, this combination could be ridiculously good for you

With how consistent you swing your driver, this combination could be ridiculously good for you

It was really surprising to see a tighter dispersion with the longer, lighter SLDR. Only 5 balls though, which is a small sample size....but encouraging.

It was really surprising to see a tighter dispersion with the longer, lighter SLDR. Only 5 balls though, which is a small sample size....but encouraging.

Encouraging is good. That confidence will pay off at True Blue.

When I went to pick up my bag yesterday I brought my R1 along with the Black Tie shaft and hit a few while I was there. Had my friend at the store put a 10.5 degree 430 SLDR head on the shaft. It felt so much more solid and I picked up about 5 yards of distance. He was sceptical that I said it felt better than the R1 as he had one and loved it. After a few swings he turned to me and said yup, this does feel better. He then preceded to bomb one 343 in the SIM with the Foresight set up. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for one of those heads.

Last edited:
When I went to pick up my bag yesterday I brought my R1 along with the Black Tie shaft and hit a few while I was there. Had my friend at the store put a 10.5 degree 430 SLDR head on the shaft. It felt so much more solid and I picked up about 5 yards of distance. He was sceptical that I said it felt better than the R1 as he had one and loved it. After a few swings he turned to me and said yup, this does feel better. He then preceded to bomb one 343 in the SIM with the Flightscope set up. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for one of those heads.

The 12° SLDR 430 has been pretty spectacular for me this winter indoors. I would give a high loft option a look see.

The 12° SLDR 430 has been pretty spectacular for me this winter indoors. I would give a high loft option a look see.

Yeah, I didn't even play around with increasing the loft when we were hitting it. I have always hit a high ball so I'm not sure I would want to go straight to the 12 degree head. If I find a 10.5 head at a decent price I will go back in and play around with a demo first to be sure before buying.

Yeah, I didn't even play around with increasing the loft when we were hitting it. I have always hit a high ball so I'm not sure I would want to go straight to the 12 degree head. If I find a 10.5 head at a decent price I will go back in and play around with a demo first to be sure before buying.

As a fellow high ball hitter, just ask any THPer that had watched me play, I needed a 12° head.

As a fellow high ball hitter, just ask any THPer that had watched me play, I needed a 12° head.

I'm not discounting it. Until I can find some time and go down and play around with the different lofts and find the best for me I won't be buying. The urge to go and play around though is strong. With snow on the ground still here I'm also stuck in Sims and I'm not a big fan of them unless they have something like a Foresight included.

Last edited:
The Tmag folks were at the GB Dicks doing demos. Tried the 460 SLDR 12*. Didn't care for the stock speeder, but when he dropped in an oban devotion 6 it was pretty darn good. The spin numbers really got my attention. Averages were 2200 spin 16* launch 247 carry bs 145. I thought the bs was a little low, but then I was using the crap balls in the bay. I forgot to bring my own. Very easy to hit straight at that loft. I ran over to Mr golf to try it out against my cxl. Pretty impressed with it so far. I think if I spent more with it I could really get to liking it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The Tmag folks were at the GB Dicks doing demos. Tried the 460 SLDR 12*. Didn't care for the stock speeder, but when he dropped in an oban devotion 6 it was pretty darn good. The spin numbers really got my attention. Averages were 2200 spin 16* launch 247 carry bs 145. I thought the bs was a little low, but then I was using the crap balls in the bay. I forgot to bring my own. Very easy to hit straight at that loft. I ran over to Mr golf to try it out against my cxl. Pretty impressed with it so far. I think if I spent more with it I could really get to liking it.

Did you have the Oban? I don't remember them having one in their fitting cart.

Also, the Foresight launch monitor reads a slow ball speed. The sim is closer to the right speed. Flightscope verified.

No he had it in the fitting cart, really like that shaft. Thanks for the info.

I was wondering if maybe it was the loft causing the lower speed.

No he had it in the fitting cart, really like that shaft. Thanks for the info.

Wow. Taylormade brought an oban. Impressive

I was wondering if maybe it was the loft causing the lower speed.

Nope. Shouldn't be the case in my experience.

Wow. Taylormade brought an oban. Impressive

We have Kyoshi White and Gold in our fitting cart this year. Last year was White and Black.

Good to know, not really looking for a driver, but now this has me pondering.

I hit the 430 at demo days today was absolutely crushing it was easily 5-10yrds longer than my 460 that was with the same shaft the 430 was a 12* set at 11* spin was about 150-200 rpm lower very impressed now i have to decide if i want to get the 430

Blu, since the beginning of this review thread, you've been a big advocate of the SLDR. Has there been a point where you were close to saying "screw it" and go for something more forgiving? Maybe the alpha?

TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Blu, since the beginning of this review thread, you've been a big advocate of the SLDR. Has there been a point where you were close to saying "screw it" and go for something more forgiving? Maybe the alpha?

Keep in mind, I have yet to play mine outside in a real round.

I don't think the alpha is more forgiving than the SLDR. I don't blame the club for me producing bad contact anyway.

I was not a tester. I bought mine. There is a very small chance I will buy a new driver. I was fit for mine and I trust the fitter.

Doesn't mean that other driver don't intrigue me. But I don't see myself buying a new one this year.

Back