Adjusting lie angle on hybrids, woods, and putters even?

bballfan8632

Reaction score
Handicap
Is this something people would normally get done? I'm getting fitted for irons soon and I was wondering if lie angle gets changed on hybrids and woods as well.

Also, I read that loft and lie are something you should get fitted for on your putter even. I've never even considered that a putter would need to be adjusted. Is this something any of you guys do or think is important? Thanks!

Woods not so much, except for extreme cases imo. Lie angle is more important in the higher lofted clubs. An upright lie in a driver can help promote a draw though.

Putter, definitely get fitted if you can.

Hybrids and woods not so much. While a more upright lie can promote a draw, the biggest thing (to my understanding) is turf interaction, especially with the shorter irons/wedges. The putter not being flush with the ground can also create inconsistent contact.

Why does it matter less for less lofted clubs? If I understand correctly, if the lie is incorrect and you hit the turf with the toe or heel first, the clubhead may twist and then your **** = crap right? Wouldn't that theory hold for any club, iron or wood?

The loft of the club is tilted, therefore the higher the loft, the greater the angle that is tilted off line. Turf interaction is a little less important, since hopefully you have hit the ball before hitting the ground.

I have my wedges Lie adjust to the same specs as my clubs but notheing else

Last edited:
My putter lie was adjusted when I was fit for it. I don't think it would be normal for a club fitters do the adjustment. When you order a putter from the OEM, they would handle that and then ship it out.

Yea but can I get my current putter adjusted for lie just like any other club ? I'm just wondering how important it really is

I'd think that putter loft/lie is just as important as it is for irons. Proper lie assures more consistent contact with sweetspot. Loft assures optimal roll when ball leaves clubface to reduce skid.

Whether a current putter head/shaft combo can be adjusted by a club fitter...that I do not know.

For me it has always been a slight adjustment in lie to my irons but not the longer clubs or wedges. I think it also important to have a putter fitting and then to make sure you have the correct lie when buying new and used. I always check every used putter I buy if I plan to game it as you never know what has happened to it with the previous owner.

Back