JDsclubs.com Experience

INgolfer

Internet Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
pending
Getting hosed by an online retailed (JDsclubs.com). Legit site but I did order my B Asha from him last spring with the intention of putting it on my J40. I order it with the Callaway hosel on it so I could use it on my RAZR Fit until then. I only played about 4 rounds with it last year. Took it to my club fitter last week to switch the shaft over to the J40, and when the pulled the adapter off the tip of the shaft was bent. He said he'd never seen that in 20 years, apparently the guy that put the adapter on heated it too much, so now I can't use it. I tried contacting the guy at JDs Clubs and he of course blames it on my fitter. So I got a good 4 rounds out of my B Asha, thats about $50 a round. I would not recommend dealing with JDs Clubs if he does this with his clubs. Many would not know if this if they didnt try to switch shafts around. My fitter told me that it looked as though he shoved the adapter on and it bend the tip of the shaft inward as well, so the adapter was not on well and it could have flown off any time. Anyone else have any experience dealing with this guy?

Shouldn't have had to heat anything to put an adapter on. That's just an epoxy job. Unless it was a pull and damaged during that process. I just can't see anybody doing that much damage on an adapter install Bradd.

Yep me neither. My fitter says he has never seen anything like it. Of course JD won't accept responsibility. I loved that 4S too, it worked great

Yep me neither. My fitter says he has never seen anything like it. Of course JD won't accept responsibility. I loved that 4S too, it worked great

I'm just not sure what JD could have done to damage the shaft like that. Was it a pull? Is it bent like it got too hot and then rehardened? If so, and it's not a pull, I'd be more likely to look at your builder.

Something is very wrong with the explanation you're getting from your "club fitter" here.

I would like to know how you bend the tip of a graphite shaft when installing it into an adapter, especially when no heat is required for an install but is for a removal.

I can understand the seller's reluctance to do anything here, given what was told to him.

I've got a couple photos from my builder I will have to upload them on here

Ugly. Bummer dude.

I tend to agree with the others - I believe the explanation that it was bent with too much heat (I did that myself to one) - but it makes zero sense that would have been caused by the original retailer, unless the shaft was a pull. The only other explanation is that your club fitter did it when removing the adapter.

Just a thought... If you paid through PayPal and have enough of a story, you might be able to get somewhat of a refund through them

Sorry to hear this bud. That really stinks big time.

Unfortunately, photos will not prove whether the damage was done now or before.

As Hawk said, if the shaft was a pull out, then the story you're getting may be correct and the damage was from the previous pull. It doesn't help your situation any because you won't be able to prove either case right or wrong now unless you have a photo of the shaft tip before being installed in the Callaway adapter or the seller stated this was a never installed shaft. Either of these would be the only help here to see which story is more likely correct.

Probably the only thing to do now would be to see if you can tip the damaged end and have enough shaft to use in a FW wood or add an extension for a driver, BUT realize the flex will be affected for use in a driver. How much would depend on the shaft profile.

Unfortunately, photos will not prove whether the damage was done now or before.

As Hawk said, if the shaft was a pull out, then the story you're getting may be correct and the damage was from the previous pull. It doesn't help your situation any because you won't be able to prove either case right or wrong now unless you have a photo of the shaft tip before being installed in the Callaway adapter or the seller stated this was a never installed shaft. Either of these would be the only help here to see which story is more likely correct.

Probably the only thing to do now would be to see if you can tip the damaged end and have enough shaft to use in a FW wood or add an extension for a driver, BUT realize the flex will be affected for use in a driver. How much would depend on the shaft profile.

IMO this is pretty much it Bradd.

After looking at those photos, it almost appears that one side of the shaft was heavily sanded while the other is almost straight. It's hard to tell for sure.

The photo with the shaft tip looks awfully funny as it appears to be untipped from the white paint, I'm assuming here, but the white is not round which is strange.
Could just be the way the photo is making it look.

I see what you guys are saying. As far as I know the shaft was not a pull, I ordered it when they very first came out, and I was able to request what length to cut it to. The guy at the clubhouse is going to call JD and go over everything. JD has been communicating back and forth with me consistently so I have to give him credit for that. We will see if it leads anywhere. Good news is my Diamana hasnt been pulled off the J40 yet so I've still got a usable driver.

Is there anyone here with enough shaft experience that could tell me if that shaft is still usable? I think I had it cut to a playing length of 45.25, so would I need to cut anything off to make it usable? If the J40 head was put on this shaft would the head be on crooked then?

Is there anyone here with enough shaft experience that could tell me if that shaft is still usable? I think I had it cut to a playing length of 45.25, so would I need to cut anything off to make it usable? If the J40 head was put on this shaft would the head be on crooked then?

You could always tip trim it, but it will completely change the characteristics of the shaft. I suppose if you think it's dead, you could give it one last ditch effort and see how you like it.

The fact it is bent means the integrity of the shaft at the tip has been compromised. My understanding is it should no longer be played unless you tip trim it. FWIW, Miya CS advised me that trimming .75" stiffened the club by about 1/2 a flex. So if you can get away with only trimming it .75" it would play to 44.5 and be just a touch stiffer than it currently is.

My brother in law works at the course and just asked another guy to take a look at it. Apparently this guy used to work for some place that did club fitting, but I dont know anything about his expertise. He took a look at it and he thinks its useable. He said if the bend it pointed a certain way it would not effect the face angle. He said he would do it for me. I dont want to cause the club more harm than is already done, so should I let the guy use it as it is and put it on the J40 or should I ask him to trim it some more? I would trust the advice of most people on here before I would trust some clubfitters because I know some of you guys have a lot of experience with this yourselves.

I would determine if the shaft is indeed bent or was it sanded too much off one side first.

Usage would then depend on how much would have to be cut off to insure a good shaft. If you have to remove an inch or less, you could probably get away with using an extension, IF NEEDED, to get the desired length. It should install straight too.

Again, after looking at that photo, it appears to not have a lot to remove to get it reusable. Have you tried rolling on a flat surface to see if it's actually bent or just sanded crooked?

The club has been at the pro shop for a week, the fitter just got back from vacation. My brother in law just got done talking to the guy that said its usable. He said at this point there is no guarantee of success but he could do one of two things:

1. Cut about .5" off the tip. It was being played at 45.25" before with a Callaway adaptor. (So without the adaptor and cutting .5" off would it play at 44.75 or does the adapter make much of a difference?)

2. Cut a little more off and put an extender on.

How much does an extender effect the shaft characteristics? I'm a little relieved that the shaft is possibly still usable but the thing that sold me on this shaft was the performance, so if that is going to change much I may just not mess with it. Sorry if these are dumb questions but this is my first time ever changing shafts in a club.

The club has been at the pro shop for a week, the fitter just got back from vacation. My brother in law just got done talking to the guy that said its usable. He said at this point there is no guarantee of success but he could do one of two things:

1. Cut about .5" off the tip. It was being played at 45.25" before with a Callaway adaptor. (So without the adaptor and cutting .5" off would it play at 44.75 or does the adapter make much of a difference?)

2. Cut a little more off and put an extender on.

How much does an extender effect the shaft characteristics? I'm a little relieved that the shaft is possibly still usable but the thing that sold me on this shaft was the performance, so if that is going to change much I may just not mess with it. Sorry if these are dumb questions but this is my first time ever changing shafts in a club.

If the shaft is tipped it will play a little stiffer but I don't think it makes huge difference. May lower the ball flight a tad.

The j40 bore length is longer so your driver will play shorter than what it would play in a RAZR fit

I've done the exact same thing when pulling a driver shaft out of a glued head as the puller sat crooked on the head. I don't see how it could have happened to a shaft with an adapter on it though. I tip trimmed mine and extended the butt end an equal amount and never noticed a difference. It might even tighten your dispersal on that 4s the flex code is a tad tip soft on that baby.

Last edited:
Bummer man, that bites.

Back