Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

Yeah that seems like it would be overkill for sure.

I went 5w last year and didn't even use the darn thing so probably won't go that route again

I just don't know if I see myself using a 3W very often. Unless I change how I manage the course.

Big question for me will be whether I choose to go 3/5 hybrid or 3/4. If I go 3/5 I may not need the 5W.

the last 2 years at those courses I have had different setups. One year was 4w/3h/4h and the other was 3w/5w/4h. Not sure which setup I really liked more. I did use my 3w more than my 5 wood last year.

the last 2 years at those courses I have had different setups. One year was 4w/3h/4h and the other was 3w/5w/4h. Not sure which setup I really liked more. I did use my 3w more than my 5 wood last year.

If I was going that route it would definitely be for tee shots.

Yup tee shots were the ones that it mostly got used for.

Yup tee shots were the ones that it mostly got used for.
You've seen me hit the 3; should I get a 5 too?

Pondering a driver, 3w, 5w, 4h setup....

I'm comfortable hitting the 3w off the tee and the deck, but it's almost...longer...than I'd want for a driver alternative.

I tend to hit woods better than hybos. Hence why I am solidly going 3w and 5w in this.

I tend to hit woods better than hybos. Hence why I am solidly going 3w and 5w in this.

I'm sort of the opposite, but when I get down into the lower hybrid lofts I can hit a lot more line drives than I like. Depends on the club.

I'm sort of the opposite, but when I get down into the lower hybrid lofts I can hit a lot more line drives than I like. Depends on the club.

Yup. Very true. I just sometimes get cases of the lefts with hybos. Never happens with FW's

I'm comfortable hitting the 3w off the tee and the deck, but it's almost...longer...than I'd want for a driver alternative.

This is my set up... nearly 100% sure

Don't sell the 7-wood short. Easy to hit and higher ball flight should hold greens better.

O'Carroll have you considered going 14° three wood and then 7-wood? That would give you a tee club and an approach club.

I'm thinking, driver 3 wood 5 wood 3hybrid 5 hybrid then 6-9. Gotta have my mini driver 3 wood 5 wood fairway bomber. Then the hybrid 185 and shorter.

anyone rocking the 14*?

I actually am, and if I do it would be to replace the driver in the bag. I really need to compare the Custom to the 14 to see but after hitting the 15.5 so well this last Friday, I'm in ponder mode. I barely used my driver in my MC matches because I was hitting my 4W so well last year. Finding the fairways are a must to play well and be in your matches down the stretch. The 14 degree might be just what the Dr. ordered this year. It would also free up another spot in my bag for another long iron, or hybrid. Really starting to think this one out.

O'Carroll have you considered going 14° three wood and then 7-wood? That would give you a tee club and an approach club.
I haven't really considered a 14, but again, I won't rule anything out. I hit the 15.5 SO WELL, I'm almost afraid to mess with a good thing. A 7 wood....? I guess it would all depend on the distance I get out of it; and how it compares to the hybrid of similar lofts. I like the idea of two fairways and one hybrid, so it's a matter of figuring out what lofts/distances work best.

I haven't really considered a 14, but again, I won't rule anything out. I hit the 15.5 SO WELL, I'm almost afraid to mess with a good thing. A 7 wood....? I guess it would all depend on the distance I get out of it; and how it compares to the hybrid of similar lofts. I like the idea of two fairways and one hybrid, so it's a matter of figuring out what lofts/distances work best.

I know personally I hit 15 degree woods well. When I lower the loft I start to struggle. I'm sold at 15.5

Well, I went to pick up some shaft tipping I wanted done at the PGA and stumbled to the Cleveland demos and low and behold they had a 14 degree X there. They let me check it out till Friday so will put it in play for tomorrow's round. I hit 3 quick balls from my backyard and crushed em!! So surprised how quick the ball gets up. A very nice mid/high ball flight. The face does look smaller than the 15.5. We shall see!

When you get some time can you snap some pics natedogg?

Just curious about a size difference.

Give me a minute....will put up in a second.

No hurry! Thanks dude.

Ok, here they both are.

D45F55CE-FC15-4DE2-BE85-4878670250D3_zpsqvnaoljc.jpg

Caught me as I was headed to bed Nate. Thanks for posting the pic!

Let us know how that works for you. Sounds like a stiffer shaft in the 14° you have?

The face does look quite a bit smaller to me as well. At least noticeably

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Gotta try this out. R flex shaft to get the most possible height out of it.

Back