60 Yards is No Bueno'

You don't want to be all wide open like a bunker shot, but Pelz would recommend a flared lead foot, which is where I got most of my short game inspiration.

Hawk beat me to it, but yes slightly open, but no where near as open as a bunker shot. One thing is once you get all the 'mechanics' out of the way, just feel your way through the shot. concentrate on the acceleration part and it will fall into place. At least it did for me.

I don't understand why anyone would put themselves in the position to hit a shot they are uncomfortable with. I realize this might happen occasionally because of a miss hit, but to be in that position multiple times is poor planning.

Have you thought of not laying up to 60'yds Duey? Just asking

I don't understand why anyone would put themselves in the position to hit a shot they are uncomfortable with. I realize this might happen occasionally because of a miss hit, but to be in that position multiple times is poor planning.

Yes sir it was, I've never been accused of planning well.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I use the clock method to help with 1/2, 1/4, 3/4 shots it has helped me dial in my distances
This is what helped me go from an 8 hdcp to scratch a few years ago. I never hit my 54 or 60 with a full swing. Here are my wedge yardages: pw full-135, 3/4- 125, 1/2- 115 and 1/4-105. 54* 3/4 110, 1/2 100 and 1/4 90. 60* 3/4 95, 1/2 85 and 1/4 75. I also use a dead-hand pitch on shorter shots with various clubs to fill yardages

I use a 56* for that shot hands to hip and fire away from there. My 60 is only used to get the ball up and down quickly around the green when I want zero roll.

What suggestions can I get to pull off this very uncomfortable shot? Overall my game has started out extremely solid, for me, especially the short game, except when I find myself in that 60 yard range. It's pretty evident I need to work on 3/4 shots as give me a full 80 yards and I can drop it close with the 60* wedge, but for the life of me I just can't back off to the 60 yard shot.

The last two weeks I've been faced with this shot multiple times, choked up on the 60* and tried to 3/4 swing. Every last one of those landed at 70 yards and rolled out, lol. I don't have that "come in low and check shot", so any other options out there?

Well 60 yards is close enough that it's more of a pitch than it is a swing for me. Anything inside of 100 yards I try to do knockdowns or pitches. It's so much easier to control because the ball goes in low with lots of spin, which gives you the control you need. Try taking a 50* wedge or even a PW and try a pitch shot with a half back swing. Set your stance up a little open so you can post most of your weight on your left side (foot), and limit your lower body action to eliminate misses to the left and right. If you have a steep enough angle of attack and some forward press with your hands at impact, you should be able to get plenty of spin and it will come in low and controlled. All that is left is practicing what club to use and how much of a swing you need.

Occasionally you'll need to fly something if you're blocked by a bunker or tree, but your thought process on the previous shot should have been to give yourself a miss that wouldn't leave you that kind of tricky shot in the first place.... right? ;)

Also if you're comfortable with the 80 yard shot, why would you ever think about laying up to 60 yards? If it's a no-brainer for you to hit that shot I would be laying up there every chance I got!

Play to your strengths.

Have you tried to take a different club off the tee so you are in the 80 yard range and not the 60. Try playing to a number in your comfort zone.

I'm slightly open to the target. Front foot at least.

Bet thats part of my spin issue.
Not only that, but it then allows you to move the ball back in your stance .. feels a lot more comfortable.
I had this exact shot the other day .. needed 63 yds. hit it pin high .. I just find a spot in my swing that I feel best at the yardage that I'm at.
It's a fun club to get wired .. once you do, it's otto-matic .. :)

Well 60 yards is close enough that it's more of a pitch than it is a swing for me. Anything inside of 100 yards I try to do knockdowns or pitches. It's so much easier to control because the ball goes in low with lots of spin, which gives you the control you need. Try taking a 50* wedge or even a PW and try a pitch shot with a half back swing. Set your stance up a little open so you can post most of your weight on your left side (foot), and limit your lower body action to eliminate misses to the left and right. If you have a steep enough angle of attack and some forward press with your hands at impact, you should be able to get plenty of spin and it will come in low and controlled. All that is left is practicing what club to use and how much of a swing you need.

Occasionally you'll need to fly something if you're blocked by a bunker or tree, but your thought process on the previous shot should have been to give yourself a miss that wouldn't leave you that kind of tricky shot in the first place.... right? ;)

Also if you're comfortable with the 80 yard shot, why would you ever think about laying up to 60 yards? If it's a no-brainer for you to hit that shot I would be laying up there every chance I got!

Play to your strengths.

Thanks for the info, this is pretty much what I've gone to and seeing solid results. 80 yards is still good for smooth 60* unless the winds behind me, but the forward press pitch just works great for anything in the 70 yrds and in for me now that I've been practicing it.

Have you tried to take a different club off the tee so you are in the 80 yard range and not the 60. Try playing to a number in your comfort zone.

Finding the 60 yard shot does happen from time to time from missed shots and such, but the day this happened a bunch I was playing a shortened course with makeshift winter tees. I was playing with a couple long hitting buddies and while I could have just hit 3w most of the time, well thats no fun, lol. It was still a great day to learn a few new shots anyway.

Not only that, but it then allows you to move the ball back in your stance .. feels a lot more comfortable.
I had this exact shot the other day .. needed 63 yds. hit it pin high .. I just find a spot in my swing that I feel best at the yardage that I'm at.
It's a fun club to get wired .. once you do, it's otto-matic .. :)

When I first started trying this shot I didn't open the blade and with the ball back in my stance it turned into more of a left push shot, but works well now. I've needed this shot for a long time and finally feel like I can come in low with enough spin to check quick.

When I first started trying this shot I didn't open the blade and with the ball back in my stance it turned into more of a left push shot, but works well now. I've needed this shot for a long time and finally feel like I can come in low with enough spin to check quick.
Precisely! I had THREE of these "finesse" shots today and pulled all 3 of them off! wooot! One of them, a 53* wedge to within a foot! wooot wwoooot!
I absolutely love my gunmetals .. :clapp:

Buy a Cleveland Smart Sole S you will never have another problem with that shot.:act-up:

Back