Cobra Baffler XL Irons - THP Preview

If I didn't already have plans I'd come down this weekend so we could test all of em

My 1st shot with em was 145 yrds into a 20mph headwind. 2 1/2 ft. SOLD. lol
They hit solid & turf interaction seamed good to me. Not saying long but I did get some of my yardage back. Some of it club & some me.
Hit one out towards the toe & wasn't penalized to bad. OH.. Was getting good bite. Had a couple hop back for me. Other stop dead.
So far a very happy with the purchase. playing again tomorrow & Saturday.

did you hit the xl hybrids? if so, what did you think of them?
My 1st shot with em was 145 yrds into a 20mph headwind. 2 1/2 ft. SOLD. lol
They hit solid & turf interaction seamed good to me. Not saying long but I did get some of my yardage back. Some of it club & some me.
Hit one out towards the toe & wasn't penalized to bad. OH.. Was getting good bite. Had a couple hop back for me. Other stop dead.
So far a very happy with the purchase. playing again tomorrow & Saturday.

Don't have the hybrids. Just 5-GW irons

Nice early thoughts bulldog! I hit the 7i yesterday and overall liked what I saw but that dynamite steel has gotta go. I did feel like the rails helped to keep me from digging as much on misses which was a good thing.

Yeah, thats why I went with graphite. The days of steel are over for this ol man

Been thinking a ton about these lately. I have the 7i in the bag now but have only swung it once on course.

I know I will have a hybrid set in the bag so most of my thought is on the wedges.

I think the format for the MC will result in a ton of shots within 100 yards. That is an area which has been a weakness of mine with MB wedges in the past.

Just saw that this set has a 54* SW. I think this could be great greenside as I don't often open up a 54* and it would also be much easier to play within 100 yards IMO.

I would just carry a 58* MB wedge for sand play and flop shots if the situation requires it.

Thoughts on this? I find myself really wanting to get the SW in the bag as my Shortgame is crucial for me to score well.

Some good thoughts pound cookie. It would be hard for me to pull the trigger on that without spending a good bit of time with one in the bag before the event.

As a mostly full swinger with a wedge, I don't see any good reason why you'd not go the route of set wedges cookie. Put one Tour Trusty in the bag for greenside work and utilize the benefits the set wedges offer elsewhere.

Some good thoughts pound cookie. It would be hard for me to pull the trigger on that without spending a good bit of time with one in the bag before the event.

I know man...big change considering I've played a MB wedge for years. Less than $80 shipped though if I want to try it but been trying to avoid buying gear.

As a mostly full swinger with a wedge, I don't see any good reason why you'd not go the route of set wedges cookie. Put one Tour Trusty in the bag for greenside work and utilize the benefits the set wedges offer elsewhere.

That's how I'm leaning. Being 90 yards out and comfortable attacking a pin is critical at these courses we will play. Don't want fear in my game with the TT's on fuller swings....dreaded chunks that I see sometimes.

These have all the forgiveness one could possibly want.

I know man...big change considering I've played a MB wedge for years. Less than $80 shipped though if I want to try it but been trying to avoid buying gear.

I am leaning the other way, my heart is not very smart and would love to see 4 Tour Trusty's in the bag. I am sure I will be talked off the ledge before we place our orders. The idea of the set GW is barely ok with me right now. Couldn't fathom the set SW but in the end it could make a huge difference and be a game changer. My head is spinning.

That's how I'm leaning. Being 90 yards out and comfortable attacking a pin is critical at these courses we will play. Don't want fear in my game with the TT's on fuller swings....dreaded chunks that I see sometimes.

These have all the forgiveness one could possibly want.

In reality, I don't know why anybody at normal amateur levels is full swinging a blade wedge when set wedges are an option. If I was full swinging wedges I'd want as much help as I could get, hence the reason I moved to a set GW. It's the only one I'll swing full.

For what it's worth, I was hitting bunker shots with my 48° AP1 gap wedge last week for practice. It's completely doable if the need arose.

A friend of mine did pick up a full set of these plus the driver and i can say they are SUPER easy to hit and launch. I just was not getting the distance i usually do.

In reality, I don't know why anybody at normal amateur levels is full swinging a blade wedge when set wedges are an option. If I was full swinging wedges I'd want as much help as I could get, hence the reason I moved to a set GW. It's the only one I'll swing full.

I agree with this. If I weren't playing a "specialty" (hacker's) wedge, I'd be going with a cavity back wedge that matched my set. I've owned blade wedges and feel like I'm giving up to much on the full swing shots as opposed to the "other" shots.

So, it sounds like the set SW was a success Cookie?

So, it sounds like the set SW was a success Cookie?

I was just coming in here to talk about it.

LOVE this thing on full swings. Anywhere from 75-95 I'm pretty comfortable hitting it. Also worked surprisingly well around the greens also.

Not really getting any spin but it's high enough on longer shots to land and stop. Looking forward to spending more time with it but I see myself liking the turf interaction quite a bit and having confidence where that was lacking in a MB style wedge.

I think that's awesome dude. Should be a lesson for the other full swingers out there.

Are you going to try it out of the sand? I wouldn't be surprised if you got some decent results there too - especially in the softer stuff.

I think that's awesome dude. Should be a lesson for the other full swingers out there.

Are you going to try it out of the sand? I wouldn't be surprised if you got some decent results there too - especially in the softer stuff.

Yes, I will be trying out of the sand for sure as I have struggled a bit with sand lately. No bunkers on the course I played yesterday, just a lot of damn water.

good stuff cookie. Always good to find a club that you are confident in from those yardages. I have a feeling these are going to be your sticks down in Myrtle.

Cobra Baffler XL Irons - THP Preview

good stuff cookie. Always good to find a club that you are confident in from those yardages. I have a feeling these are going to be your sticks down in Myrtle.

Thanks buddy. I have a feeling they will be as well. I hit the XL SW & 7i as much as possible yesterday in addition to the Bio Cell 6i.

No issues with offset on the 7i which was a nice confirmation to witness.

XL definitely has more forgiveness and is easier to launch higher. Thinking I take these from 6-SW and then start the hybrids but luckily I have a good bit of time to play with both options a bit more.

Thanks buddy. I have a feeling they will be as well. I hit the XL SW & 7i as much as possible yesterday in addition to the Bio Cell 6i.

No issues with offset on the 7i which was a nice confirmation to witness.

XL definitely has more forgiveness and is easier to launch higher. Thinking I take these from 6-SW and then start the hybrids but luckily I have a good bit of time to play with both options a bit more.

Knowing you, you will make sure to put in the work with both before deciding. Either way it leads to a victory.

I'm liking the results I'm getting. No regrets with purchase. The ball gets up nicely & produces good shots. Also I'm having no problem with hold on the greens.
But still, the thick top line & big head w/offset are not the favorite look I like but hey it is what it is.

I'm liking the results I'm getting. No regrets with purchase. The ball gets up nicely & produces good shots. Also I'm having no problem with hold on the greens.
But still, the thick top line & big head w/offset are not the favorite look I like but hey it is what it is.

I actually think the top line of this is not too different at all from the Bio Cell - to the point where I have to make sure I have the correct club in hand.

Remind me what shaft your rocking? PXi's are a solid fit in my opinion.

Back