Do you change balls in a scramble?

I've done this and I think it has some merit in a scramble if you are turning the spinny ball off the tee. I don't seem to have that problem so much anymore so staying with the B330RXS ball.

I'd like to think my group is basing everything off my ball anyway, so I won't be pocketing it very often!

Honestly, though, I don't take scrambles seriously enough to really think about in that regard.

I just play the B330-RX, I have confidence in it.

I sometimes do. For instance, last week I used an e6 for all my tee shots, and a B330 RX for the rest of my shots. To be honest, it wasn't because of performance. It's because we had a couple guys on the team who would find the fairways, and two of us would try to kill one. This sometimes leads to more lost balls, so it was an economic choice, not a performance choice. I used to do the same thing, but for performance reasons, with a Velocity and a Pro V1x, until I figured out that I was hitting the Pro V1x farther.

MC guys need to get used to possibly playing two different balls in a round "alt shot for basically 27 holes this year."

I don't know if there is harm in it, but are you allowed to switch balls mid hole in a regular match? (Just a general ? I have.)
Yes, you are allowed to switch balls during a round unless specifically prohibited by tournament committee.

I've considered doing it in the past, but I always end up just sticking with my gamer. The B330-S.

Yup, the 2-ball appraoch is what I've done for a while in these scrambles. Hit a rock off the tee, finesse ball on approach.

A side note, I try to limit my Scramble play because I have found that these events cause me to get out of my normal swing, especially on the tee.

Play my E5 all day every day. I only switch out the E5 if I'm trying a new ball.

I tried to do something like this in a tournament last year and while I didn't kill myself, it didn't provide any real advantage. I'm going with the others in that I would just stick to my normal ball.

I've never thought about doing that, I just play whatever ball I normally would.

I guess the biggest reason I play a different ball off the tee is because normally if someone is in decent shape I try to swing out of my shoes and get one out there. It's better to lose $2 balls than it is to lose $4 balls

I've seen people do this in scrambles, I have even thought about it but I've never attempted using a different ball in a scramble unless I'm just trying to test a new ball.

Yup, the 2-ball appraoch is what I've done for a while in these scrambles. Hit a rock off the tee, finesse ball on approach.

A side note, I try to limit my Scramble play because I have found that these events cause me to get out of my normal swing, especially on the tee.

I try to go 1st to avoid scramble swing issues.

(I put this thread here because I was questioning the ball of choice but if this is a thread for the "golf" section I apologize)

So I have a scramble coming up this weekend and I'm getting my bag ready for it. And I have two different balls ready for this outing and it made me wonder. Am I the only one who prepares this way? I normally like to have a 2 piece ball that's long and straight off the tee with not a lot of spin for the extra roll. Then once we get closer I would switch to a 3/4 piece ball for the added greenside action. To me it makes sense. What are your thoughts?

I had a buddy that was about a scratch golfer, he would hit a distance ball to tee off with then would switch to a ProV1 for approach shots during a scramble. He figured a few extra yards and possibly less sidespin with the distance ball couldn't hurt. I just hit the same ball regardless.

I always do this in scrambles and shambles. Main reason isn't about ball characteristics, mostly just about hitting a tee ball I don't care if I lose. In most scrambles I'm the guy who's supposed to try and crush it and see how far it goes. I use the crappy ball just so if it goes wayward I don't need to try and find it. Most of the time if it's not in the fairway I'll just leave it. Last thing I want to do in a scramble is search for balls.

I will hit a cheap ball when it's a shot that I'm trying to carry water that I can barely cover with less than a perfect shot, cut the corner over the woods.

Back