Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

Alpha 10.5 received. Promptly took the head and threw it on my whiteboard and just posted the 9 degree head with new fubuki ZT stiff, headcover, wrench and weight kit in the marketplace. Looking forward to getting the 10.5 on the course Sunday

Pulled the Alpha 11 times today. Hit 8 fairways. Two of which I was in the first cut and the third was in the rough by about 10 feet.

Love how this driver performs in the wind. I used to lose so much distance last year because I was spinning between 3000 and 3500 rpms. Much better with the 2600 I'm getting now

Mine is set, the wrench is gone. I'm not tinkering with it anymore. It's set to where I'm liking the results and I'm finding fairways with consistent distance. No more tinkering. It's set to 8 degrees, core down 7g in the heel, 1 one the toe.

8 degrees and you still launch that baby like it's a 5 iron. So awesome

Mine is set, the wrench is gone. I'm not tinkering with it anymore. It's set to where I'm liking the results and I'm finding fairways with consistent distance. No more tinkering. It's set to 8 degrees, core down 7g in the heel, 1 one the toe.

I like it!

There's such a focus on lofting up right now, but I'm sure that's the best thing for everyone. I tried to play the Alpha at 10* to gain some benefit from extra loft, but I ultimately found that 9* gave me a better flight for my eye and more control.

If anything, I would swap out a 10.5 head for my 9 head and lower the loft down one degree to 9.5. That would get me at just about the same flight, but it would also open the club face slightly. That could possibly be a perfect combo for me.

With that said, as long as I am swinging decently with the Alpha, I am long and pretty consistent as well. It's a fantastic driver.

Seth, the square club face of the 10.5 virtually eliminated the hooks I was seeing with the 9 set to 11. It's amazing how such a slight face angle change can help

I think I could benefit from going up that last degree with my Alpha, but I don't want to close the face anymore than it is. I'm like you, Seth, I'd like the 10* and dial it down.

I'm ordering an Aplha soon but I need to demo it in a couple x flex shafts and in both the 9 and 10.5 lofts to see which combo is best. I started a golf specific exercise routine a month ago and am going to give it a few more weeks as my swing speed has been gradually increasing to hopefully where it was 20 years ago. I just got a 2Deep with the Tour Green stiff shaft tipped 1/2" and it seems too soft. Glad to see so many here getting great results with the Alpha!

Spent a little time with the Alpha today at a demo day. I was a little upset with the sound. I love the sound whenever I hit the Alpha indoors but outdoors I prefer the standard BB. It's a little thing but something I noticed. Also, the stock length is crazy long. I was choking up close to an inch. I think next time out I'll through my current Optiforce shaft in for comparison sake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Stock length is only 45.5 I believe

Really?! Feels crazy long at address to me for some reason.

Stock length is only 45.5 I believe

That's correct.

I was going to get it in 46" (where I had my RFE), but the fitter talked me out of it.

Another fantastic day driving the ball on Sunday. I've been in positions that I never thought possible on some of my regular courses. My one buddy and I are always neck and neck as far as driver distance goes, and with the Alpha I am not consistently 10-20 yards past him. Pretty damn awesome.

Got a chance to tinker with the 9.0° model at Dick's on Saturday night. First couple I hit were line drive pulls that went only about 200 yards. I changed the gravity core to up, and put the loft up to 11° and went on to hit the next 3 drives, 270, 262 and 265. Still a bit low for what I like to see out of a driver, but impressive none the less. I'd like to get my hands on the 10.5 and see what I could do with the loft a bit higher. Will be fun to see what a fitting shows in the next month or two.

I got to spend some time hit the Alpha at local demo day on Sat the gravity core really works i noticed a spin diffrence depending on the postion the distance was similar to my SLDR but not quite as long. the feel for me was bad face felt soft & spongy hard to tell were the miss hit was on the face very similar feel to the 913. I also did not care for the shape of the head kind of bloted looking and the stock shaft felt soft even in an xflex i really wanted to like the driver but just did not work for me with a diffrent shaft it might have been a diffrent story. to me the real star for Callaway is the regular BB it was a very nice driver

Got my new Alpha yesterday just in time for golf this weekend. So glad I dont need to find another driver.

Got my new Alpha yesterday just in time for golf this weekend. So glad I dont need to find another driver.

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 10.5 but went with the 50g fubuki stiff and this club is game changing for me.

I tweeted the picture of my 344 yard drive to @HashtagChad and he sent me a stack of 25 hammer patches. Not much longer with this Alpha and my bag is going to look like Gary Woodland's. :wink:

Really looking forward to the 10.5 alpha head. A new Callaway fitting center opened in Cincinnati and I'm excited to get a proper fitting with the Bertha ladies!

I thought you had an alpha? Or did you move up to the 10.5?
On a side note, Wednesday I did the BFIT at a demo, spin numbers were 1800-1900 how do I increase that a little bit? The BFIT guy said a little higher spin would give me a little more distance? Gravity core?

BHilton's hitting the one u gave him quite well!!! When we played last week, I was only 5-10 yards in front of him, where I used to be 15-20.

I thought you had an alpha? Or did you move up to the 10.5?
On a side note, Wednesday I did the BFIT at a demo, spin numbers were 1800-1900 how do I increase that a little bit? The BFIT guy said a little higher spin would give me a little more distance? Gravity core?

I gave mine to an attendee at the Lake Charles event.

My fortunes have totally changed as of late. I either slice the hell out is this club or get to much "arms" and hook it. I know it isn't the driver's fault by any means but I was never this inconsistent with the RFX.

Starting to seriously wonder if the 9° head and stock shaft aren't my best fit. I really miss the feel of the Black Tie shaft.

But I'm also playing my worst golf in easily 10+ years. It's not even fun to play and practice right now.

Picked up an Oban Kiyoshi Purple to test against the Red Tie, going to get to the course early on Monday to do a little comparison before my outing.

Man the Alpha was solid all day for me. If it weren't for the crazy strong wind I would say I would have averaged maybe 270 off the tee. Not long but I am finding my groove with this and I am hitting some really great shots with this. I just point and shoot.

I did have one at 307 today, let's not talk about the strong wind behind us though. Haha. I am looking forward to getting this really dialed in and start hitting a ton of fairways.

Back