tiger bigger then the sport?

Almost by definition, aren't those stars not quite as bright? Two or three real stars. Real dominance only has space for four, maybe five truly great players. Otherwise, it is just a bunch of dudes, no one truly escaping the world of their sport. For example look at tennis the past couple years, Fed-Nadal-Djokovic-Murray, it was pretty great. But greater than Fed-Nadal? Or Djokovic on his singular season? Or Murray's Wimbledon Loss, Olympic Win, US Open Win then eventually the Wimbledon win? Is the tennis better with all four pushing, sure, but dominance is truly something to behold.

Of all the current young players, I would only consider Rory capable of being transcendent, being a world figure. Heck, I might even suggest that Tiger could have been more important to the world stage than he has been. (Emphasis on the has been? :dont-know:)

I realize I somewhat contradicted myself in this post. Let me revise this to - two, maybe three great players.

Not sure any if that matters but okay. Still in Tiger Era and they had to introduce a wrap around schedule because the fall series was having trouble with viewership and sponsors. There are issues. It's gonna get worse.

Bigger than the sport of golf? Yes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

We all know Tiger has a huge impact on the game but no person will ever be bigger than the game in any sport.

It's ridiculous to think Tiger is bigger than the sport, although if you watch enough of the Golf Channel, you might start to believe it. The biggest thing that's happened to the sport? Probably, but definitely not bigger than the sport.

what does bigger then the sport really mean ....people interested/more popular the person or the game of golf? if thats the case TW is for sure.

why do more people watch for tiger or for the game of golf?

TW is not bigger than that sport. That assumes golf goes away, if TW goes away. Does he cross into mainstream media? Absolutely.

I'd guess that there will be a ratings dip this year, due to his absense.

FWIW, him not attending the Champions Dinner is pi$$p00r. I doesn't surprise me that he no-showed. But, I don't know all of the facts related to that.

TW is not bigger than that sport. That assumes golf goes away, if TW goes away. Does he cross into mainstream media? Absolutely.

I'd guess that there will be a ratings dip this year, due to his absense.

FWIW, him not attending the Champions Dinner is pi$$p00r. I doesn't surprise me that he no-showed. But, I don't know all of the facts related to that.

From my point of view, I don't see that assumption needing to be made.

I looked at the question as larger than the game from a social view. I guess that leads back to a fairly open ended question. Nothing against the OP BTW.

From my point of view, I don't see that assumption needing to be made.

I looked at the question as larger than the game from a social view. I guess that leads back to a fairly open ended question. Nothing against the OP BTW.

I hear ya. I just don't know what "...bigger than the game..." means.

I say no. Every generation has had its stars in golf. Tiger did things no one else could do and the tour is better for it, but it is more less over now for the most part. Health will now be the big factor with Tiger. We may have to wait awhile for the next "great one" but there will be another.

I sure hope Tiger isn't "bigger than the sport". To me that seems very short sided. He has been a huge part of propelling golf to new heights in money, popularity, etc. But to say he is bigger than the sport he plays seems silly. Tiger needs golf like golf needs Tiger. Without golf, I don't think the world cares for Tiger as a transcendant type figure in general. He is not Muhammad Ali in regards to being a social and political figure. I mean I grew up in the Michael Jordan era and think that era of basketball was the greatest, but the NBA hasn't died since his retirement. I think Tiger wouldn't agree with him being bigger than the game. He has a great knowledge of the history of the game himself and I think would not be happy to see the game decline or go backwards based on his being a player. Also, think the PGA tour has done a good job of furthering their product and have to have it not solely dependent on one player. They are surely aware of Tiger's greatness and popularity, but also have to be aware of his increasing age and health. Sure the game would change with no Tiger, but hopefully Tiger stick around and continues to chase Jack, while the sports continues to get healthier to prepare for when he's gone.

Tiger is not bigger than the sport, but Tiger is known to non-sports fans. People that do not even follow golf or sports in general know who Tiger Woods is.

In America, Tiger is at a rare level that few other athletes ever reach with only guys like Jordan and LeBron...& maybe Peyton Manning.

I would say most other non-sports or golf fans would be hard pressed to name another golfer......as for golfers...IMHO only Jack and Arnie have reached that level.

Im not sure I agree with that. Perhaps for a short time, but they said the same thing about Palmer, the same thing about Jack, and now the same thing about Tiger. There are always stars to be born.

This is 100% true. It might not happen right away, but someone will follow Tiger. They may not have the same impact that Tiger has had globally and economically on the game of golf, but there will be someone to sustain. It may be someone on tour right now, or it could be a 9 year old in Paducah Kentucky.

I also agree with JB's statement about Tiger being bigger than the PGA tour. As Tiger goes, so does the PGA ratings. We will all watch because we are avid golfers. But the casual fan won't pay attention unless TW is playing. On Saturday, USA today had a story about ESPN's numbers being down for the Master's without him.

This is 100% true. It might not happen right away, but someone will follow Tiger. They may not have the same impact that Tiger has had globally and economically on the game of golf, but there will be someone to sustain. It may be someone on tour right now, or it could be a 9 year old in Paducah Kentucky.

I also agree with JB's statement about Tiger being bigger than the PGA tour. As Tiger goes, so does the PGA ratings. We will all watch because we are avid golfers. But the casual fan won't pay attention unless TW is playing. On Saturday, USA today had a story about ESPN's numbers being down for the Master's without him.

True, but I guess my question is: Was viewing for the Master's down because TW wasn't playing, or because TW wasn't playing and a lot of fan favorites and longtime contenders were also missing from the field? Phil, Ernie, Luke Donald, Z & D Johnson, Sergio, and others who have been prominent members of the golf community, also going home early must have affected viewing as well.

True, but I guess my question is: Was viewing for the Master's down because TW wasn't playing, or because TW wasn't playing and a lot of fan favorites and longtime contenders were also missing from the field? Phil, Ernie, Luke Donald, Z & D Johnson, Sergio, and others who have been prominent members of the golf community, also going home early must have affected viewing as well.

This was just for Thursday and Friday for the ESPN portion. So all of the big names were still there. I'll check on what the weekend numbers were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiger is definitely not bigger than the sport - I am a huge Tiger fan and I enjoy the coverage the media gives him to an extent - after "drop gate" last season it was a bit absurd the amount of a spotlight he was getting opposed to the other players who were clearly playing the course better than he was.

With that said, I definitely feel that Tiger helped rejuvenate the sport with his dominance which inspired more people both young and old to play, as well as the majority of the field step up their game in order to keep up and now, more often than not beat Tiger.

Same as in current day we see Arnie, Jack, and The Black Knight hit their ceremonial Tee Shots, I will some day see Tiger, Phil, and not sure who the 3rd one will be to initialize golfs start to the majors.

Tiger has been a huge inspiration to golfers of all levels and will continue to be - I for one am excited to see what the sport is going to bring to the table - not just Tiger....

Back