Tournament Handicap

Jericho

Albatross
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm thinking about playing my first tournament in a few weeks and was wondering about handicaps and weekend warriors. I imagine it's typical to shoot above your handicap when there's real pressure. If I'm normally shooting 79-82 from the blue tees, I'm guessing my first tournament could yield anywhere from 80-90 from closer tees. That being said my handicap is a few .1's under the next flight up. Would it be frowned upon if I played in the 8.00-13 flight instead of the 4.00-7.99 flight? Is that considered sandbagging? I'm hoping not because my handicap doesn't include the normal pressure of tournament play or having to putt out every two footer lol

Thanks!

For what its worth, the handicap is not your average, but potential, so most should shoot above it.
To me, yes that would be sandbagging.

Yea, that's sandbagging.

Tournaments can focus you in too. Either way, everybody is in the same boat.

How about if you haven't played a tournament in 2 years and therefore play way better than your handicap? I have had a broken hand and several other injuries in the past two years so it wasn't on purpose. Would I be accused of cheating?

How about if you haven't played a tournament in 2 years and therefore play way better than your handicap? I have had a broken hand and several other injuries in the past two years so it wasn't on purpose. Would I be accused of cheating?

Are your tourney rounds the only one that count towards your handicap?

Are your tourney rounds the only one that count towards your handicap?

Yes. However, I think it is possible to lower your handicap by playing a scheduled round with someone who is at least a 11 handicap. But my golf buddies are all around my handicap.

I see. I think my biggest fear is that of embarrassment. Playing in a 4-7 flight and shooting a 92 would probably dissuade me from future tourneys.

Also I was looking at the tour results and am seeing the winners post scores of 70's but their handicap has nothing but 90's in it. I kinda always thought of a sandbagger as someone who significantly downplays their skill. With me I'd be downplaying 4/10's of a stroke...however I see your point.

Yes. However, I think it is possible to lower your handicap by playing a scheduled round with someone who is at least a 11 handicap. But my golf buddies are all around my handicap.

Might talk to the committee to see what they recommend. That's a tough one that we don't have to deal with down here since every round counts.

I see. I think my biggest fear is that of embarrassment. Playing in a 4-7 flight and shooting a 92 would probably dissuade me from future tourneys.

Also I was looking at the tour results and am seeing the winners post scores of 70's but their handicap has nothing but 90's in it. I kinda always thought of a sandbagger as someone who significantly downplays their skill. With me I'd be downplaying 4/10's of a stroke...however I see your point.

No shame in losing dude and you'll never get better at playing in that type of situation if fear is stopping you. Go play. I guarantee there will be some guys putting up big numbers. Maybe it's you, maybe it's not.

The tournament people should be looking at your official handicap and putting you in the correct flight.
I have not heard the player being able to move themselves into a different flight.....or did I miss something?

Besides that, it's your first tourney. Just have fun, get the experience under your belt and enjoy it.
You never know, maybe tourney pressure will ignite something in you and blow the competition away.

Man this is why I love THP Events.

No shame in losing dude and you'll never get better at playing in that type of situation if fear is stopping you. Go play. I guarantee there will be some guys putting up big numbers. Maybe it's you, maybe it's not.

This! My first tournament I shot a 98 playing in the single digit flight haha! But I made $300 in skins so I was fine with it. It happens. I started pin hunting for dinero

Back