Using a driver with the face set at closed

Aussie Dave

Hacker From OZ
Reaction score
Handicap
GA 15
I use a 11.5* X hot with the face set at closed someone on here said that a Pro that he was getting lessons from said that a club with a closed face would actually promote more slice side spin and he should set it at square. Has anyone got any thoughts on this.

If you come across the ball over the the top, that would make sense to me

That doesn't make sense to me. Closing the face should make the face more square to that across the ball path, thereby creating less side spin.

That doesn't make sense to me. Closing the face should make the face more square to that across the ball path, thereby creating less side spin.

Thats what I thought I have set my face to square and the slice is bigger

Could you explain why

Honestly, I don't know if I can over the internet. But a closed face and an out to in path would start the ball more left while the swing path would curve it back to the left. Probably cause a distance loss. I think.

But a closed face won't square the swing path.

face angle has nothing to do with swing path. Your swing path creates slice/draw. Face angle will decide what line your ball starts out on. Two different things.

face angle has nothing to do with swing path. Your swing path creates slice/draw. Face angle will decide what line your ball starts out on. Two different things.

Maybe thats what it is I usually tee up on the left side of the Tee Box if i hit a good shot it only fades a little and ends up in the middle of the fairway if I hit a bad shot it fades more and ends up on the right of the fairway and loss of distance. Every now and then not often it will go to the left and it will go a mile some of my longest drives have been on the adjacent fairway lol.

Maybe thats what it is I usually tee up on the left side of the Tee Box if i hit a good shot it only fades a little and ends up in the middle of the fairway if I hit a bad shot it fades more and ends up on the right of the fairway and loss of distance. Every now and then not often it will go to the left and it will go a mile some of my longest drives have been on the adjacent fairway lol.

Sounds like an over the top move. At least when I was OTT those were my flights.

Sounds like an over the top move. At least when I was OTT those were my flights.

Could you explain what an over the top move is

Could you explain what an over the top move is

Your swing is coming into the ball above the shaft plane created at address.

Same thing. Or at least that's how it has been explained to me

Ok because that is my swing path it just must be more outside to in sometimes.

Ok because that is my swing path it just must be more outside to in sometimes.

For me, speaking only for me, when I used to come OTT I was never able to release the club for fear of a pull hook. Since I have learned to come from the inside, I can now release the club.

For me, speaking only for me, when I used to come OTT I was never able to release the club for fear of a pull hook. Since I have learned to come from the inside, I can now release the club.

So what was your fix to come from the inside.

So what was your fix to come from the inside.

The two big things for me were a one piece takeaway and starting my downswing with my lower body. Everybody is different though

Looks like you are all dialed in

The two big things for me were a one piece takeaway and starting my downswing with my lower body. Everybody is different though

Exact same for me. These are actually currently my main two swing thoughts

I still struggle coming over the top, and these are the things I am focusing on to try and eliminate that swing flaw.

Can you explain a one piece takeaway

Agreed with the others. I have an offset driver, and the closed face + OTT = pull fade.

Along with my OTT, I was coming in with a very cupped left wrist, which resulted in a very open face. So you might want to look into your left wrist conditions as well.

These two thoughts killed my slice and I hit a nice draw now. That is when I make decent contact.

Back