Question on Shafts

Big Slicer

Reaction score
Handicap
I think I am lost. Iam looking at different fairway woods and the shafts. What I do not understand is what is ment by "Flex Point" and "Torque".
Some shafts have a high flex point, some say a mid flex, and some say a low flex.

a High Kick point will produce a low ball fligh and a low kick point will produce a high ball flight. Torque is the ability to resist twisting on off center hits. I'm pretty sure that is what that is but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I am lost. Iam looking at different fairway woods and the shafts. What I do not understand is what is ment by "Flex Point" and "Torque".
Some shafts have a high flex point, some say a mid flex, and some say a low flex.

We have a special interview with one of the industry's great experts taht will be able to answer all of these for you coming up very soon. It is really going to make the world of shafts easier for everybody.

JB, When can we look for the interview, becuase frankly I am lost when it comes to shafts. I know they are not all created equal but trying to decipher differences just confuses me. I think there will be a ton of people that this would help.

Thanks,

It will be inside the next issue of THP: The Magazine coming next month.

i've found you can't get too hung up on info from shaft manufacturers, as there doesn't seem to be a good standard that they all test to

the best way seems to be to actually go swing the clubs for yourself, A shaft that feels great for one golfer may be boardy, or noodly to another. two shafts with the same torque rating can have very different playing characteristics

It will be inside the next issue of THP: The Magazine coming next month.

What with this AND a JBH interview....you are KILLING me with the wait!

i've found you can't get too hung up on info from shaft manufacturers, as there doesn't seem to be a good standard that they all test to

the best way seems to be to actually go swing the clubs for yourself, A shaft that feels great for one golfer may be boardy, or noodly to another. two shafts with the same torque rating can have very different playing characteristics

+1 on that!!

I've been collecting some cheap used drivers this winter with a bunch of different shaft profiles. I had the chance to hit them yesterday, and the variance between what a shaft is "supposed" to do, and what it actually does, is pretty surprising. Of course I had the shafts in different clubheads, but I had a 65S Whiteboard flying HIGHER then a stock 60g Reax in an '08 Burner, and some other surprising results.

To answer your two immediate questions…

Flex Point generally refers to where the point in the shaft that is less dense than the rest of the shaft, which in turn designates where the bulk of the bend point is….so a low kick point would make the ball flight higher, whereas a high kickpoint would make the ball go lower.

These descriptions are much better than just “Stiff”, “Reg” etc flex because the industry has no standard in regards to shaft flex…and when they do, measure shafts, they do so at the butt end only and does not tell the player ANYTHING about how the rest of the shaft will perform…which is why an added description, ala kick point is valueable.

Sadly, even THAT designation is vague, and varies from model to model….

True shaft profiling is done at 6” beam length increments and then can be compared to same beam lengths of others shafts to precisely determine how the shaft will perform.

Below, is an example of a multiple shaft profile comparison:

profiles.jpg

Also, bear in mind that once you found a shaft/head combo you like, it does not necessarily mean that shaft will perform the same with all heads in the future., because heads come in different weights, bore depths , and BBGM…all of which can and will alter shaft performance.

Torque measurements indicates how fast the shaft resistance to twist during the swing, and more precisely, the downswing…the lower the torque number, the lower the twisting….so (in theory) those with a faster, more jerky swing will want a lower torque shaft, while those with a smoother more consistent swing will like the higher torque numbers.

Again, this is in theory…

We have tested dozens, if not hundreds of different shafts and found the majority of them misleading the public when it comes to torque numbers in graphite shafts…we’ve seen many claiming to be 3.2 or less that actually came in higher than 4.0

Sadly, when it all comes down to crunch time to make your decision, I recommend you go to a good, “Vendor neutral” club fitter and have them look at your swing and work with you to find the combination best suited to your physical dynamics.

Use REGULAR stiffness shafts, ROTATE your body to the left on the downswing instead of sliding it to the left, release the club head and DO NOT USE OVERLAPPING golf grip (interlocking or even baseball grip only). You will be hooking in no time.

Use REGULAR stiffness shafts, ROTATE your body to the left on the downswing instead of sliding it to the left, release the club head and DO NOT USE OVERLAPPING golf grip (interlocking or even baseball grip only). You will be hooking in no time.

Ummm okay. Where to begin...:comp:

Back