Course review sites: what do you use?

jhkaplan

Reaction score
Handicap
I live in Chicago, where there are seemingly a million courses of all qualities to play within an hour drive. I'm always playing the same 2 or 3 courses but want to try new ones. Do you all have any sites you use to research courses and get an idea of their quality?

Golf now seems to be the best resource to book, even though I find their user experience to be terrible and frustrating. The amount and quality of their reviews varies as well. This is pretty much my last resort when booking tee times. If you don't know many of the courses and where they're located, it's a pain to use.

Yelp has it's own frustrations. It can be a good resource but is littered with wedding reviews for the courses.

Any other great sites you recommend to research and find courses? Ideally, it'd be a one stop shop for course info. Reviews, prices, photos, map and location, etc.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I have checked golflink before. Or you can post in the Chicago area thread. We have people all over the city/state.

I tend to use googles reviews. Easy for people traveling to review and such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha ok so I'm realizing this is more a "b*tch about Golf Now" thread from me...

I really wish there was a resource that had a much better user experience for finding golf. Things that would include a much simpler search, view results on a map, better search filtering (time, price, reviews, etc). When I go to GolfNow, all I see is a big grid of random courses I've never heard of, with no reference to where they actually are or if they're any good or not.

Oh well. I do see GolfNow does have an API. Maybe I just build it myself.

/rant

Hopefully in a few months there will be many, many course reviews on The Hackers Paradise :clapp:

Thp and whatever Google pops up

Thp.
And prizes for doing reviews each month.

Greenskeeper.org is the best I've found. They are mostly west coast and Florida

Greenskeeper.org is the best I've found. They are mostly west coast and Florida

Same here they have most of the local course on there

I don't play many unfamiliar courses but if i plan to, I'll check THP to see if someone has happened to play there before. Otherwise, I'll just google the course + review and check the top few listings for course information and reviews.

THP, is where I get most of my reviews from.

Have you tried the Forelinksters guide where it just includes the best public golf courses which have been rated by the national golf pubs, they list 42 courses in Chicago, and provide a map to assist you in finding the ones closest to your destination. There's some reviews, but mostly they've taken out the private clubs, dog tracks and low cost munis and just included the better courses you can play. Here's their link for the Chicago area. It's a great resource when you'r traveling across state and want to find courses close to the Interstate:
http://forelinksters.com/course/location/6782/state/Illinois/city/Chicago

Back