Adams XTD Driver Review

Nice review.

I bought this driver last December and played it during a vacation. My thoughts were that it was tight with great ball flight and above average distance. Here is the embarrassing part, I forgot I still had it until this thread popped up. With all the new gear coming out in January I started cycling through quite a bit of stuff the past few months. I think the XTD will get a place in the bag this week for 2 rounds and we'll see how it stacks up. Also interested in hitting the standard XTD irons, they look funky but I have a sense they have some pop in them.

Really sharp looking driver, love the tech they've built in without having too many moving parts. Nice review James

Good thoughts here James. It worries me a bit when you said the sound is all it's own. Seems like there is some great tech packed in to it and the performance you saw out of it all sounds good. The red tie shaft pairing should be a popular one.

Good thoughts here James. It worries me a bit when you said the sound is all it's own. Seems like there is some great tech packed in to it and the performance you saw out of it all sounds good. The red tie shaft pairing should be a popular one.

To be fair, the Bertha is a sound all its own too.

I'll say this, its way better than the Covert 1.0 IMO. :alien:

To be fair, the Bertha is a sound all its own too.

I'll say this, its way better than the Covert 1.0 IMO. :alien:

good because that thing sounds awful. Just goes to show you I will play what works and can get over the petty things.

Great review James. Lots of R&D packed into this driver.

Great review James. Sounds like Adams has a winner, it's too bad that they don't get more recognition for their woods, outside of hybrids.

Adams XTD Driver Review

good because that thing sounds awful. Just goes to show you I will play what works and can get over the petty things.

Petty to you. :alien:

Last edited:
How much is the face angle opened or closed for each .5 degree that loft is increased or decreased? Is the 10.5 square when it is set at 10.5?

How much is the face angle opened or closed for each .5 degree that loft is increased or decreased? Is the 10.5 square when it is set at 10.5?

Can't speak on the 10.5, but with the 9 it sits slightly open at address. The full 1.5 adjustment takes it's FA 2* either way like it does with the TM heads, so about .667* or whatever per .5 degree higher or lower.

So the face angle is opened as a driver head is lofted down to a lower degree and the face angle is closed as the head is lofted up to a higher degree?

Adams XTD Driver Review

So the face angle is opened as a driver head is lofted down to a lower degree and the face angle is closed as the head is lofted up to a higher degree?

Lower = open and higher = closed.

Thanks James! Another quality review. You mentioned the shaft pairing being a big part of what Adams does so well. Helping to balance some of the low spin qualities of the head design. Hypothetically speaking, usin iron Byron I guess, what is the threshold for "low spin" heads?

Thanks James! Another quality review. You mentioned the shaft pairing being a big part of what Adams does so well. Helping to balance some of the low spin qualities of the head design. Hypothetically speaking, usin iron Byron I guess, what is the threshold for "low spin" heads?

Not really sure dude, it's an intriguing question.

Great review James, well written and some very solid information. One thing that stands out to me about this one is the tip/adapter on this one, and what shows to be sooo easy to use. Your pictures were phenomenal, and make me realize how other adapters can just be a pain to figure out and decipher.
Great review!

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it.

Another home run James. Interesting to find out what XTD actually stands for and can't believe none of us asked that in Dallas.

The little time I had with this I enjoyed it. I actually liked the sound it makes on contact.

You mentioned the face retains ball speeds on mishits and in return still delivers decent yardage, would you say it's right there with the E9 face on terms of forgiveness?

Interesting to find out what XTD actually stands for and can't believe none of us asked that in Dallas.

They actually said what "xtd" meant in my group when we took the tour.

They actually said what "xtd" meant in my group when we took the tour.

They probably said it in ours also, but I was probably too wrapped up in office golf or the awesome swag.

They probably said it in ours also, but I was probably too wrapped up in office golf or the awesome swag.

IIRC it was said in the fitting room or during the power point presentation.

This thing is a beautiful forgiving beast. One of the top three of the year without a doubt. Great review man, I love this thing.

Put this one back into play yesterday, I'm extremely addicted to it right now. I have the 9 cranked to 10.5, and I still get a nice mid-high flight, but MAN I daydream of the 10.5/12, I honestly think it could be a full time gamer for me.

More loft.
More distance.
Crazy but true.

Seems like all the companies are jumping on this wagon.

Back