PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

Man, those hybrids are sweet. They feel so good and had a beautiful piercing flight for me, and felt so pure. They are definitely something to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JesseO. You're going to love these on the course and the feel on pure shots is every bit as buttery smooth as my Mizunos. The Mizunos have a different sound that tricks you into thinking they are softer. At least my MP-69's are that way.

How is the gaping between the 5i and the hybrids you picked up?

The specs are:

5-PW
White Dot (3* Upright)
1" long
KBS Tour X-Stiff Shafts, soft stepped.

The hybrids were 19* and 22*, both with the stock stiff shaft at .5" long.

I'm so excited for them to get here so I can hit all of them on the course! Now the only problem is not going insane in the 7-10 days that they take to arrive!

Great choice, IMO. I went through a very similar fitting process. Started with 4 different irons I really liked on paper and narrowed it down to the i25 and regular Apex. Tried a bunch of different shafts in each of those, but the i25 with KBS Tours just blew everything else away with me swinging the clubs. So far, results on the course have been excellent, so I think you're really going to love those irons.

Great choice, IMO. I went through a very similar fitting process. Started with 4 different irons I really liked on paper and narrowed it down to the i25 and regular Apex. Tried a bunch of different shafts in each of those, but the i25 with KBS Tours just blew everything else away with me swinging the clubs. So far, results on the course have been excellent, so I think you're really going to love those irons.

Thank you, thank you. And yeah, I hit the CFS first and I was hitting them well but they were moonballs. Honestly I was hitting the 7i on the range and lost sight of them in the air and then saw them drop straight down haha... The KBS were perfect though and I could control my ball flight really well with them.

PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

JesseO. You're going to love these on the course and the feel on pure shots is every bit as buttery smooth as my Mizunos. The Mizunos have a different sound that tricks you into thinking they are softer. At least my MP-69's are that way.

How is the gaping between the 5i and the hybrids you picked up?

The standard loft for the 5i is 27 which is a big gap from the 22* hybrid but my coach and I are going to work with numbers on the launch monitor when they get here and strengthen the 5i by 1 or two degrees to get good gapping.

anyone try these with the cushion insert?

anyone try these with the cushion insert?

I think CK has those in his irons. I saw stuff a few pages back

I think CK has those in his irons. I saw stuff a few pages back

I think you might be right. I remember reading something about them in here, I thought it was you that had them but you have graphite.

Loving these PING Cushin inserts!

CushinMe.jpg

I was messing around with the broken part of my PING CFS shaft a couple days ago and decided to cut it open to see what the Cushin insert looked like and I was really surprised.

I know the picture only shows the bottom rubber part but this is so much more substantial looking than the other inserts I own which are just made from cheap foam. What you can’t see is the floating ball bearings housed inside the rubber. PING says this insert absorbs 70-80% of undesirable frequencies and still allows you to feel hits. I think I agree (maybe not 80%)

I know I get boastful when I like something but I can’t help it sometimes. I’m really in love with PINGS’s Cushin insert. By far out of any insert I have (Sensicore and ProSoft) these allow me to feel the club face the purest and also dampen the vibration from bad strikes.

Did a little test last night with the i25 6i w/Cushin, vs Mizuno MP-69 w/Sensicore, vs Cobra AMP Cell Pro w/ProSoft and found the Cushin insert dampened the vibration from heel and toe hits the best while still allowing me to know where the ball contacted the face.

I know this test was a little unfair for the other inserts as they are attached to unforgiving forged blade irons vs the i25’s forgiving cavity shape so I grabbed my graphite shafted Adams OS 6i and threw it in the mix as well. After a few swings I found the Cushin insert to be very close to the graphite feel for heel toe hits. I prefer the insert more as graphite shaft in GI irons tend to over dampen and I lose some of the ability to detect where I’m hitting.

Another good thing about the Cushin inserts for me was the additional 10g they add to the overall club weight. I’m coming from 130g shafts and the CFS X-Flex coming in at 114g was just a little on the light side for my preference. Adding the Cushin brought the weight up to within a couple grams of both my other irons.

Here is cutaway of the Cushin insert from PING’s custom catalog.

Spoiler
Cushin.JPG

this was the kind of information I was looking for. A little delayed, but thanks CK

Hit the range after work today and was concentrating on 135-100 yrd wedge shots and chipping.

The W-L are really fun to hit, great feel and distance control. Trying to dial them in and shaping shot at different targets. Thought the SC100 would be here today but mailman didn't drop it off. I think that device will really assist in getting to know exact distances.

Spent quite awhile green side, chipping with the W and L wedge. Trying different shots and lies with both clubs. I find them to be very capable for any shot I would need to attempt.

this was the kind of information I was looking for. A little delayed, but thanks CK

That post was freaking FANTASTIC by CK, it really was, I honestly never knew what the inserts looked like. Makes me want to try them out too, I like dampening, a lot.

Hit the range after work today and was concentrating on 135-100 yrd wedge shots and chipping.

The W-L are really fun to hit, great feel and distance control. Trying to dial them in and shaping shot at different targets. Thought the SC100 would be here today but mailman didn't drop it off. I think that device will really assist in getting to know exact distances.

Spent quite awhile green side, chipping with the W and L wedge. Trying different shots and lies with both clubs. I find them to be very capable for any shot I would need to attempt.

I'm enamored by the wedges still, I honestly think the SW will be back in my bag soon. It just makes sense as I use it on 3/4's and its SO smooth out of the sand, as most PING wedges (set and none) have always been for me. The bounce is just good for me.

Hybrid shaft flex

Hybrid shaft flex

The specs are:

5-PW
White Dot (3* Upright)
1" long
KBS Tour X-Stiff Shafts, soft stepped.

The hybrids were 19* and 22*, both with the stock stiff shaft at .5" long.

Hello all, this is my first post here and I'm just getting back into the game after a long lay-off and building a new bag from scratch.

JesseO, I was fitted for and ordered the i25 with the exact same shaft as you (soft stepped KBS Tour X stiff 5 - LW). I spent more on these irons than I had expected so to save a few $$ I'm looking at the older i20 hybrids. I could only demo the stiff and have to order online, my demo was good but I felt like an X-stiff could be better for me. I'm struggling between the Ping 707H Stiff VS X-stiff and was curious as to why you went with the stock stiff shaft.

Hello all, this is my first post here and I'm just getting back into the game after a long lay-off and building a new bag from scratch.

JesseO, I was fitted for and ordered the i25 with the exact same shaft as you (soft stepped KBS Tour X stiff 5 - LW). I spent more on these irons than I had expected so to save a few $$ I'm looking at the older i20 hybrids. I could only demo the stiff and have to order online, my demo was good but I felt like an X-stiff could be better for me. I'm struggling between the Ping 707H Stiff VS X-stiff and was curious as to why you went with the stock stiff shaft.

Welcome to THP! Feel free to chime in with your thoughts on the irons, as always here, the more the merrier.

Welcome to THP! Feel free to chime in with your thoughts on the irons, as always here, the more the merrier.
Thank you! I'm still waiting for my irons to arrive, its been over 3 weeks now. I'll definitely comment on them after some range time.

You are going to LOVE these irons with the KBS Tours. I'm still in awe of how much straighter and consistent I am with this pairing. I'm only 4 rounds in with the set and each round is getting better and better with them.

(Sorry for the late response but I've been really busy) Well, I shouldn't have said stock stiff haha. To be exact it's the 90 gram PWR stiff shaft, which is the heavier of the two. This is a great option for me because I'm a high ball hitter, and for me that shaft launches mid and just pierces. The weight also helps to prevent a hook. The 90 gram stiff is about equal to the regular x-stiff shaft too.

Played a round today where I was trying to teach things at the same time. I couldn't believe how well these irons perform for me. The biggest weakness in my game has always been iron play yet with these irons I don't miss greens anymore. I have NEVER hit any irons as accurate as these have been.

The graphite shafts offered stock are the real deal. While they are lighter than other options on the market they don't play like they are too light as I have seen with the C Kua shafts sometimes. From the banding on the shafts I would assume they are Aldila shafts but I could be wrong. The C Kuas were by far my favorite shaft I could find in the last year or so but these have me questioning that fact. The TFC shafts perform with remarkable consistency both accuracy wise but more importantly distance wise. Nothing like hitting 10 balls on the range and them all being within a yard or two of each other in the distance category.

I would recommend giving these shafts a try for anyone looking at the i25s whether you play graphite or steel.

(Sorry for the late response but I've been really busy) Well, I shouldn't have said stock stiff haha. To be exact it's the 90 gram PWR stiff shaft, which is the heavier of the two. This is a great option for me because I'm a high ball hitter, and for me that shaft launches mid and just pierces. The weight also helps to prevent a hook. The 90 gram stiff is about equal to the regular x-stiff shaft too.

Hey, I appreciate your input. I was really curious because you were fitted with the same iron shafts as me. I'm starting to feel like I should just spend the extra $$$ and get the newer i25 hybrids that I can demo at any flex but I may just get the X and see what happens. I did not realize that a heavier shaft helps prevent a hook.

What is your typical driver swing speed? In my case I've always had a pretty high tempo swing and often worked hard to slow it down with mixed results. I've usually been the longest hitter in my group but my misses are exaggerated in comparison to the others and they are almost always hooks. I was in the 112 - 116 mph range with my driver at my local Golftown simulator even though I was trying to keep things smooth.

I'm a fellow hook hitter too. My driver swing is normally around 105 ish, and I have a smooth tempo. I have a heavy driver shaft as well, and this heaviness is supposed to help prevent quickness at the top. It's when I shy away from my smooth tempo and come down quickly from the top that I hit that hook

Played a round today where I was trying to teach things at the same time. I couldn't believe how well these irons perform for me. The biggest weakness in my game has always been iron play yet with these irons I don't miss greens anymore. I have NEVER hit any irons as accurate as these have been.

The graphite shafts offered stock are the real deal. While they are lighter than other options on the market they don't play like they are too light as I have seen with the C Kua shafts sometimes. From the banding on the shafts I would assume they are Aldila shafts but I could be wrong. The C Kuas were by far my favorite shaft I could find in the last year or so but these have me questioning that fact. The TFC shafts perform with remarkable consistency both accuracy wise but more importantly distance wise. Nothing like hitting 10 balls on the range and them all being within a yard or two of each other in the distance category.

I would recommend giving these shafts a try for anyone looking at the i25s whether you play graphite or steel.

Nice buddy. I really need to spend some time with the graphite, its been in my head since Dean had them in the S55's and you in these.

Love the confidence you are getting, thats what the i20's did for me. I'm eager to get these rolling w/ the lie adjustments. I'm a huge fan of what I've seen so far, especially after going back and hitting some of my other irons. The launch and distance may not be the most, but its in that range that I really really benefit from. For me, I'll take 165 8i's all day long.

Nice buddy. I really need to spend some time with the graphite, its been in my head since Dean had them in the S55's and you in these.

Love the confidence you are getting, thats what the i20's did for me. I'm eager to get these rolling w/ the lie adjustments. I'm a huge fan of what I've seen so far, especially after going back and hitting some of my other irons. The launch and distance may not be the most, but its in that range that I really really benefit from. For me, I'll take 165 8i's all day long.

I hate you.

No you don't brotherman, just hit fairways dude, just hit fairways.

you are right I don't hate you. Demo day tomorrow morning, going to hit these against the AP1's hopefully.

you are right I don't hate you. Demo day tomorrow morning, going to hit these against the AP1's hopefully.

Nice! I'm eager to hear what you think. Don't think you could go wrong either way, the AP's will probably offer more forgiveness, but ti should be a blast to duke it out with them.

Back