Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel your pain fellas. On a par 4 yestrday I was 30 yards from the pin after 2 strokes and chipped it over the green 3 times and then 3 putted for a friggin 8. FML

I took my first lesson on Saturday and played my first round of the year yesterday to test my new swing out. I really got way too ahead of myself on the front 9 and shot a 56. Tried to kill it and impress the people I was with instead of just doing what I was taught. Back 9 was a lot more relaxed and settled and shot a 48. Even with the poor front 9 it was still my best scorecard to date since starting last summer. Have another lesson on Saturday. Can't wait to keep getting better.

My best round in the seven (total) months that I've been playing has been a 113 (two weeks ago). I've been out several times since and haven't touched that number again. The thing that frustrates me most about this game is the consistent inconsistency that I have. LOL. My drives are fairly consistent; but my approach and putts are not. I have a difficult time using my hybrids and 3-wood, so I'm usually stuck using a 5-7 iron on my approach (depending on where I'm at). Sometimes I hit my irons so well that even my husband's impressed; but, then there is the other 80% of the time that I'm hacking it up. I was even nailing it at my lesson last week using my 7-iron - - warranting a high-five from my instructor. (Woot!) I really believe it's all about the mindset you have when stepping onto the course. I keep thinking "Happy Gilmore"... even tried thinking of my great grandmother in that "happy place" (but it still didn't work!). LOL.

It does get super frustrating because I just want to play well enough to be competitive with my golfing buddies. I may beat the guys on a hole here and there; but never on a complete round. But, that's my goal someday! ;-)

It'll be a freaking miracle if I get to 100 this season! And if not... I'll still be on this thread next year. LOL.
And at the end of the day, still trying to do my best!! :)

Happy Golfing!

keep on practicing! It's been my experience that nothing other than time spent swinging clubs will make the movements you *know* you need to be doing become natural. Your lessons should keep your practice moving in the right direction. Good luck!

Trying to Break 100

Played really poorly today tee to green. Shot 55/53=108 on a beautiful day. I has to grind to try and minimize bad swings all round. I chipped in for bogey on 15 and had only 31 putts, which was really solid. 0/18 GIR, 3/14 FW and 5 penalties illustrate how ugly the full swing was. Later in the round I found a few keys that worked swing wise and made a better effort on the last five holes. I had fun though despite it not being my day. On to more practice and the next round.

Trying to Break 100

Shot a 108 today. Front nine was a 58 which pretty much meant I wasn't breaking 100 today. Just wanted to play well on the back nine, and for six holes I did. Last three holes I went double, triple, triple and shot a 50. If I didn't break down at the end, I would have broken 50 with ease. Got to get my head straight and finish strong. A 108 is decent, but I know I can do better. This new putter and I are not getting along ... got to get out and practice with it. A total of 41 putts (5 three jacks) has me a bit bummed. A couple were short putts which was completely unforgiveable. If I can't drop my putting average I may go back to the STX or find a new gamer. I can tell you right now though that I have no confidence in my putting. Hope to get the feel back with putting drills.

Once again I flew a couple of greens as my yardages seemed to have increased on my irons, had three penalties (all in the drink) but the driving is good (had a couple of great 220+ yard drives), with 7/14 FIR, had two GIR's (missed a 6' putt for birdie, and wound up 3 putting both of those holes). Chipping was weak, with some thin shots which hurt the putting by forcing me to take a lot of lag putts. I need that aspect of my game to improve.

Last edited:
109 yesterday.
Front 9 was especially bad with a 61, this included a 10, 2 x 9's, and a 8, 3 bogies and 2 doubles with 22 putts!! As things got worse I started beating myself up in my head and getting annoyed which then obviously lead to me playing even worse. Putting was really off, 4th hole Par 4 playing at 404 yards, I was on the green 6 foot from the hole after my second shot and 3 putted. The old lady caddy was happy as I promised her a big kiss if I made a birdie.
Back nine was a 48, parred the 10th par 4, then ended up with 4 bogies and 4 double bogies with 20 putts. Driving was ok hitting 10 out of 14 fairways, my ball striking / swing were bad which saw a lot of ballooned drives going high but dropping like a stone just on the fairway, I switched to my 4 wood on the back nine which was producing lower but still to high shots. Putting was all over the place with to many putts a balls width from the cup left, right or to short. 7 x 3 putts, 1 x 1 putt and the rest 2 putts.
On a positive note short game chipping and pitching was getting me on the green and not pushing the ball to the left. Instead of thinking I can get the ball where I want it from bad lies or in the trees, I am trying to play a more sensible shot to somewhere realistic and then going for the green. Uneven lies are starting to get easier or at least I'm getting the ball launched straighter.
My biggest faults are putting pressure on myself and then getting annoyed when I flub it badly and not being able to leave that last shot behind. The frustration of knowing I can hit the ball better seems to stay in my head.
I watch my wife play and when she flubs it she just puts her club back in the bag gets to the ball and starts again which then produces a good shot, whereas I beat myself up and play a worse shot.

Tee'd it up with the course to myself today due to the 45 degree air temperature and the steady light rain. Spring in New England. Went out in 54, was keeping it together then had a couple bad holes to finish the front. Made an adjustment and tightened up my stance, and I started striking the ball much crisper without as many penal mishits. Came in at 45 for a 99. 4/14 FW, 1/18 GIR and 35 putts. Had two pars and eight bogeys. Despite being soaked and having to dry everything out, I had a great time.

Played my 3rd round yesterday, after getting back into the game after a 4 year layoff. 111 (52/59) the 1st week, 103 (45/58) last week with a nice front 9 and a 99 (49/50) yesterday. It's funny, because I was expecting something better yesterday because I was just killing it at the range the day before, but it wasn't there. But I'm happy to have scored what I did because I was scrambling all day.
On to the breaking 90 thread. . . Woohoo!

Watch, my next 3 rounds will be +100. Hahaha

Put up a 52 Wednesday for 9 then a 96 Thursday for 18 with 4 penalties

Put up a 52 Wednesday for 9 then a 96 Thursday for 18 with 4 penalties

Nice round! sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

Last full 18 was 100 on the dot hoping tomorrow will be better than that and some. Need to hit the range before the round to get some of the kinks out.

Hitting fat is killing me. I have yet to break 100...I had a 103 last week. Great driving and putting day but irons killed me. I've been working on keeping my mind clear and not letting those "i'm gonna top the **** out of this ball" thoughts come in on my backswing.

Best thing for me and my game is playing every hole to make bogey. When I do this I make much more intelligent decisions on the course. Par 5 go for it in 2 nope hit my 2nd shot to a familiar distance into the green.

Got out again today, low 50's with no wind which was appreciated. Shot 48/51 for another 99. Quite the up and down round, but I was able to recover after a bad stretch of 4 straight triples to finish birdie-par-par, the last of which was a 20 footer. 4/14 FW, 4/18 GIR and 34 putts. A birdie, three pars and six bogeys. Feels like I'm grooving into a somewhat reliable swing. On to the next round

Nice round! sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

Thanks I could have easily been lower stupid mistakes cost me those penalties. Gonna try to get out this week and only play 4i off the tee on 4's and 4's to see how low I can go with no driver troubles.

Went out for 9 today and shot a 52. Now that I have my long game somewhat in check (no more topped balls or slices) I found myself just off the green a lot today, but then struggled with my chipping. I either have to hit the green on my approach shots, or get better with my chipping (or both)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Had a great round of golf today, for me.. haha. I shot a 98, had quite a few good drives.. If there is a right hand corner..

Hitting fat is killing me. I have yet to break 100...I had a 103 last week. Great driving and putting day but irons killed me. I've been working on keeping my mind clear and not letting those "i'm gonna top the **** out of this ball" thoughts come in on my backswing.

This used to happen to me often. Keep your head down and slow your swing. Tempo, tempo, tempo.

I've managed to break 100 my last 3 rounds, but I am flirting with disaster. My putting has been pretty solid with no more than 3 3-putts per round and that number is usually 2 or less. Improvement is possible there as well. But I feel distance is what is killing me currently, too many mid to long irons to the green.

My chipping and pitching have been ok as well which is saving me some strokes.

I will keep at it, and hopefully move from high 90's to mid to low 90's.
High 80's would be fantastic!

Keep at it everyone!

I've managed to break 100 my last 3 rounds, but I am flirting with disaster. My putting has been pretty solid with no more than 3 3-putts per round and that number is usually 2 or less. Improvement is possible there as well. But I feel distance is what is killing me currently, too many mid to long irons to the green.

Keep at it everyone!

Good work CJ! Are sub-100 rounds an improvement from last year? Have you gained any distance on your irons from your lessons?

Played 18 with. Mike Dean yesterday: 55/51 fr 106. Still, I feel like if I can get my body into better shape, and practice my wedge game (chipping & pitching) I should be able to be shooting low 90's or high 80's. But I'm gonna have to practice more than I have so far

Keep at it everyone!

Can you tee it forward at all until you get things dialed in?

Can you tee it forward at all until you get things dialed in?

Oh yeah, I could, however when I play with someone else I usually play their tees.

A good example distance wise may be the 41 I posted on my league play course, that was something like 3098 yards. I was hitting short irons/wedges into greens. The game was a lot of fun that day!

Lower scores will come, I am working on it. Consistency is my downfall currently I think as much as anything, string the 2-3 good shots together until I reach the green is huge!
I am getting there but I'm still leaving shots on the course, it WILL get cleaned up!

Hopefully next time we play Mike you will be able to notice a BIG difference!

Keep at it everyone!

I feel your pain with the distance issue. I have been playing the whites until I get more consistent regardless of who I am playing with. There's a hitch in my driver swing that leaves me with 180-195 yard drives. Then 1 or 2 times around ill "get it" and hit one 220-230. Very frustrating! My down fall currently is 50yards and in. I've been working hard to get the feel around the greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a decent round for me last Sunday on a course that I've never played for, that is not mapped properly on golflogix or my Neo-X gps watch, in hurrican force winds (average of 20-25 mph with gust of 30-40 mph). I ended up with a 102.

My irons were really on for me. I picked up a new to me 3 wood and my first time to hit it was on Saturday. So I tried to play it twice on the course and that bit me bad. I also picked up some used Pro V1 and Pro V1x balls. My normal miss off the tee is a pull and and I had two pulls with pro v1 balls. I had 3 slices off the tee with pro v1x balls (each time was a different v1x to make sure it wasn't something going on with a specific ball). One pull and one slice led to penalties because of the course. I had one approach shot where the distances weren't mapped out for a huge drop into a bayou. The guys playing with me said I couldn't drive the bayou so I went with a 5 iron that landed just at the edge of the drop to the bayou, and then rolled down the huge grade into the bayou - more penalties.

The course was falling apart and had tons of dirt instead of grass on the fairways. The greens were in horrible shape that led to some extra strokes, but still 36 putts overall. I know having a traveling handicap is difficult, but this course was nightmare. I only had 3 GIR, but that's better than my normal 0. I think I should be getting close to 5 a round though based on what I know I'm capable of. 9 of 14 fairways, when I should be 12 or better - but I won't be hitting the pro v1x's on the course again any time soon, so that should resolve that. I need to keep the 3 wood in the bag until I get to an 80% consistency rate with it - which I knew, but couldn't help myself since I just got it - lesson learned.

The real kicker is that the first hole was awesome for me. It's a 367 yard par 4. I had a line drive off the tee around 250 yards. Then followed that with a PW for around 120 that came up a few yards short. Then chipped from about 10 yards away that rolled in to hole out for birdie. It was all down hill from there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back