Short Game Shape Up - JB Goes To Work

Not me. Too much math is bad for my game : )

I've heard of it, but unfortunately it doesn't do well with that variable of spin, slope, or green speed. Using that analogy for example, I should fly that ball about 2/3rds of the way to my target. If it checks, it may not be enough to get there. If it doesn't, depending on the speed of the green, it may motor by. In that situation, you'd be better flying it 2/3rds of the way there with a sand or lob wedge and letting it release. The problem is, that's way too much thinking. I'm smart (debatable), but if I'm having to think that much about it, I'm in trouble. Paralysis by analysis, and second guessing could happen. If I need to commit 100% to the shot, the last thing I want running through my head is, "Do I need to fly it 2/3rds of the way there or 80% of the way there?" Odds are I'm just going to chunk it and be really pissed off.

I recently came to know of the "Rule of 12". Does anyone here use that method for their chipping.

It's a way to figure out ratios of roll/flight distance.

For example:

You're 10 paces off the green and the flag is 20 paces on. If you want to maximize the roll distance by flying to the edge of the green and rolling 20 paces you'll use a PW.

12 - 10 (PW) = 2 (2 to 1 roll distance to flight distance)

I tried this and it was not helpful for me.

Is it worth it to go to a less lofted club? Like a 9 or PW? This may not fit the shot you were wanting to play originally, but wouldn't there be some more roll on these for you? Being up hill, you could probably still get some of the check you desire too. Just a thought.

JM

Absolutely it is IMO. Carry distance plays a big part as well for me. I'll often be off the green chipping with a 8i. Often times with much better results than a 54*.

Creativity is key.

This was the focus of my lesson this past Saturday. I took my 8i, GW (50*), 54 & 58. These were all uphill from a tight FW lie. One thing I noticed was similar distance control between the wedges & the 8i seemed to be the best to get it to the hole. Now the caveat there is with the 8i it took and will take a lot more practice to get comfortable and consistent with that club from say 15yds and in.

I think creativity is the key, but I have to make sure I consider all conditions before pulling a club. Part of course mgmt IMO.

I recently came to know of the "Rule of 12". Does anyone here use that method for their chipping.

It's a way to figure out ratios of roll/flight distance.

For example:

You're 10 paces off the green and the flag is 20 paces on. If you want to maximize the roll distance by flying to the edge of the green and rolling 20 paces you'll use a PW.

12 - 10 (PW) = 2 (2 to 1 roll distance to flight distance)

I've read that about 100 times now and I still don't get it LOL. My only rule of thumb, where possible, get it rolling on the green ASAP.

I've read that about 100 times now and I still don't get it LOL. My only rule of thumb, where possible, get it rolling on the green ASAP.

The base number is 12. Here are some more examples.

SW = 11 - 12-11 = 1 ( 1 part roll to 1 part flight)
PW = 10 - 12-10 = 2 ( 2 parts roll to 1 part flight)
9i = 9 - 12-9 = 3 ( 3 parts roll to 1 part flight)
8i = 8 - 12-8 = 4 ( 4 parts roll to 1 part flight)
7i = 7 - 12-7 = 5 ( 5 parts roll to 1 part flight)

Of course, this is just a rule of thumb.

The base number is 12. Here are some more examples.

SW = 11 - 12-11 = 1 ( 1 part roll to 1 part flight)
PW = 10 - 12-10 = 2 ( 2 parts roll to 1 part flight)
9i = 9 - 12-9 = 3 ( 3 parts roll to 1 part flight)
8i = 8 - 12-8 = 4 ( 4 parts roll to 1 part flight)
7i = 7 - 12-7 = 5 ( 5 parts roll to 1 part flight)

Of course, this is just a rule of thumb.

im sure it works for you, but I can't say as though I see that working for me. I guess if I use a lob wedge it should?

That was me to Josh. Now that I have been focusing on my short game I find myself going to the lower lifted clubs with much better results.

This will definitely be what I work on in Boca this week. Such a great range facility for short game.

Will try to incorporate JB's practice session this weekend.

im sure it works for you, but I can't say as though I see that working for me. I guess if I use a lob wedge it should?

I'm going to give it a try with the understanding that it's not a exact science.

I'm going to give it a try with the understanding that it's not a exact science.
I like the rationalization of the process, but I'm working on simplifying the short game, find a couple different shots, get really comfortable with them and stick to it...

I like the rationalization of the process, but I'm working on simplifying the short game, find a couple different shots, get really comfortable with them and stick to it...

That's a great way to go, especially given the limited practice time most of us have.

I tried the Rule of 12 for the better part of a season off and on. Honestly, I just felt like I spent too much time trying to do the math, when I could have been trying to read the green and practice the stroke.

Haha this is why I use one club around the greens. My brain hurts

Tap Tap Taparoo

Haha this is why I use one club around the greens. My brain hurts

Tap Tap Taparoo

It doesnt have to and you dont have to use one club. Im not a fan of methods like that, but I am sure some are. However I am also not a believer in one club fits all shots kind of thing either.

It doesnt have to and you dont have to use one club. Im not a fan of methods like that, but I am sure some are. However I am also not a believer in one club fits all shots kind of thing either.

I'm a firm believer that you need to be able to hit the same pitch/chip with two clubs, and you should be ready to play either on a particular shot. Maybe you need a little more loft, maybe you want to land the ball shorter and let it roll. Either way, I typically bring at least two clubs with me when I have a shot around the green. Only exception in a short bunker shot (58*)

True I guess I lied since I use a 50* but rarely. I think for most people starting with one club would be great practice since you would learn touch from it.

Tap Tap Taparoo

What a great idea. Good luck with the (short) journey. I look forward to the updates.

Yesterday. One hour at the range working on rough lies. Most know that the Bermuda rough can be absolutely treacherous in spots and the ball sinks like a prom baby by the beach. My goal was to work with one of the two ways I have learned to play the shot and find out the best approach for me and my game as the rough gets tougher and the ball is dug down deep.

THe first thing I did was measure the amount of spin loss I was getting and compared to regular areas by the green. An astounding 70% spin loss on 6 balls played from each. This is from both the stuff between the ball and the face as well as the moisture that gets trapped down there. So to me that says obviously I have to play it a bit differently. I was always taught that the easiest way was super firm grip to keep from any twisting, ball neutral in stance and a similar stroke to normal, if not a bit steeper to make sure you are getting as clean contact as possible.

What I found in the testing, naturally I am not getting any ball to stop, but trying to control it via trajectory was not helping either and brought in too much hands. Instead taking a middle wedge for me (in this case 50 or 54), with a firm grip and standard pitch shot action, the ball popped out well and released towards its target. Spent a good hour working on this, because I find 1-2 shots a round in this situation.

I hate bermuda grass around the green. Always gives me trouble.

Hands in thick rough is always a bad time lol

Tap Tap Taparoo

Fun putting drill to work on longer putts that I have been doing recently.
8 balls and start with dropping one 18 feet from the cup.
Every 3 feet drop another ball until all 8 are on the putting green in a line from about 18 to 35-40 feet or so.
Start with the closest one and your goal is to make them of course, but if not, to get them all inside of 24 inches.

If you miss the first one, your goal should be to get all of the rest inside where that first ball ended up.

It has really helped my long putting. One of the things that changes instead of dropping them all right in front of you from the same distance is that each putt will be different, even if it is slightly. Last time out I made 1, and missed 7 and all but 1 were with in the 2 ft mark. Im going to keep it at today.

JB, now I want to go back to the putting green!

That drill is something I will definitely try!

Fun putting drill to work on longer putts that I have been doing recently.
8 balls and start with dropping one 18 feet from the cup.
Every 3 feet drop another ball until all 8 are on the putting green in a line from about 18 to 35-40 feet or so.
Start with the closest one and your goal is to make them of course, but if not, to get them all inside of 24 inches.

If you miss the first one, your goal should be to get all of the rest inside where that first ball ended up.

It has really helped my long putting. One of the things that changes instead of dropping them all right in front of you from the same distance is that each putt will be different, even if it is slightly. Last time out I made 1, and missed 7 and all but 1 were with in the 2 ft mark. Im going to keep it at today.

Do you ever try this with short and medium length putts? This is something I do on the practice greens a lot but never use it for long putts. This makes me want to try

Do you ever try this with short and medium length putts? This is something I do on the practice greens a lot but never use it for long putts. This makes me want to try

No. I have separate drills for the short and medium length putts.

I am doing a similar drill today. 5 putts 3 feet apart (3,6,9,12, and 15 ft.) on four different sides of the same hole. 20 putts total.

Back