First Lesson Today at Golf Galaxy

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
Today is the day. I have a lesson at the Golf Galaxy on my route home from work. Introductory 45 minute lesson, and then I'll see if I like what he says and think about a short series or something. I like that he has the full video setup, even though it isn't quite as fancy as Golftec. (Golftec was just too pricey!) My requests are going to be to hit the ball straighter (I'm a slicin' fool) and break 100 regularly. We'll see how it goes.

Anyone get lessons in a Golf Galaxy before? Do I bring my whole set of clubs in or what? Anything else I should know or be prepared with?

I get my lessons at GG regularly. My teacher is great and I like his set up. He emails me the video after each lesson on what to work on and what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. I usually show up with my 7i, but some times bring my bag in because I want to focus on hitting different clubs. I've done Golftec before and like my GG lessons more because they're much simpler and straight forward.

I look forward to hearing how it went. I am pondering some lessons as well so this will be good for me to follow.

I emailed the pro and he got back to me right away. He does want me to bring my whole bag in to see what I have.

I emailed the pro and he got back to me right away. He does want me to bring my whole bag in to see what I have.

How much does an intro lesson there run...if you don't mind? Golf Tech is crazy $$ and the closest one is 2 hrs away.

Which Golf Galaxy are you going to? They are running a special now on lessons. I think it's 10 lessons for $230 or something like that?

I go to GG for all of my lessons and love it. I've been doing it for about a year now. I've gone to a couple and they are pretty much the same format, but obviously the teaching style changes based on the instructor. One thing I will tell you, be patient and trust your instructor.

Here's a link to my lesson videos and you can see how my swing changed.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5oWr440CNzKVJFpVRLBB4A

How much does an intro lesson there run...if you don't mind? Golf Tech is crazy $$ and the closest one is 2 hrs away.

I don't recall off hand. I do remember seeing $130 for a 3 pack of lessons, which is a song compared to Golftec. I'm thinking it's $50 for the first 45 minute lesson.

Which Golf Galaxy are you going to? They are running a special now on lessons. I think it's 10 lessons for $230 or something like that?

I go to GG for all of my lessons and love it. I've been doing it for about a year now. I've gone to a couple and they are pretty much the same format, but obviously the teaching style changes based on the instructor. One thing I will tell you, be patient and trust your instructor.

I'll have to see about that. I'm going to the GG in Brookfield, WI. Mark Voeller is the pro, and I heard good things from a couple of people about him. I'm excited!

I worked with GG when I first bought my clubs.

They have a really good system in place. The video equipment is great! They also e-mail you a recap of your lesson with video and audio. I thought that was a great feature.

Of course, it will all boil down to the pro and your chemistry. I hope things go well for you!

Enjoyed those videos...... maybe I need to consider some lessons as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Enjoyed those videos...... maybe I need to consider some lessons as well

thanks.

It will definitely help your game a ton. I go every week if possible. My short game is A TON better than it was last year because of the lessons and practice drills.

Thanks for the look at the videos, Adam. I looked at the 6 month comparison video or whatever and it was great. Huge difference.

So the first lesson went very well, and I went ahead and bought the 3 lesson package, which was $130. That's WAY cheaper than Golftec, which would get me the swing analysis and nothing else.

The pro seemed to really listen to what I had to say, and pointed out my most pressing issues almost immediately. I need to get my downswing coming from the inside in order to hit the back inside part of the ball, and pronate my wrists through impact. I've really known full well about both issues, but he helped me with something very key - FOCUS. There are actually a lot of things that are "wrong" with my swing. But I told him I wanted to hit the ball straight(er), and this is what he had me work on the whole time. I also asked him which I needed to focus on more, and he indicated I should focus primarily on the wrist pronation, as that was the part I really had trouble with.

I need to work on those two things, and once I'm doing those consistently (6-7 out of 10 times, he said) I'll go back for my next lesson. He told me if I came back and was NOT doing them consistently, it would be a waste since he would just have me do the same things over again.

Perhaps the best part of the way they do it is for the 3 lesson package, I paid the $130 but it comes as a gift card. So if I decide two lessons are enough, for instance, I can use the rest towards anything else in the store. I'll try to post the video once I get it.

So the first session is 30 minutes at $50 right?

The subsequent lessons you could buy at the $130 price point are also 30 minute sessions, or are they longer?

Very interested in getting some of these lessons.

What my pro did was we did the lesson first, and then at the end I bought a three pack of lessons for $130 which included the lesson I just got. So I've used one of the 3 lessons I bought already. And my actual lesson time, with intros and questions and such was closer to 45 minutes. I'm not sure if that's the way it would work everywhere, but that's how it worked for me. I let him know at the beginning that I would likely buy a few lessons if I liked the first, and he was fine with that.

I guess like anywhere else it depends on the instructor you get, Also just because he or she is a good golfer the real test is if he or she can relate that in words and actions you can understand.
But personally I have always found the instructors to be personable and able to help people.
I have never taken any lessons but have seen their results

What my pro did was we did the lesson first, and then at the end I bought a three pack of lessons for $130 which included the lesson I just got. So I've used one of the 3 lessons I bought already. And my actual lesson time, with intros and questions and such was closer to 45 minutes. I'm not sure if that's the way it would work everywhere, but that's how it worked for me. I let him know at the beginning that I would likely buy a few lessons if I liked the first, and he was fine with that.

Glad the first lesson went well! Lookin forward to seeing the improved swing on the course one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I saw them advertising 3 lessons for $99 recently.

Occasionally GG will offer the $99 deal, usually near middle and end of the year. Great deal for the winter months.

Here's the video from my first lesson on Tuesday. I'm very happy with what I know I have to work on now. I just need to figure out how to turn the club over like I'm supposed to!

No, I have 2 specific things I need to work on. He told me not to bother coming back until I can do them consistently. Work on turning over the club, and work on coming from inside on the downswing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I have 2 specific things I need to work on. He told me not to bother coming back until I can do them consistently. Work on turning over the club, and work on coming from inside on the downswing.

Hahaha. Wonderful instructor. Did he give you much advice how to accomplish those two feats?

I hit balls trying to turn the club over for a good two thirds of the lesson. I still don't feel it at all. It's currently driving me batty.

So the first lesson went very well, and I went ahead and bought the 3 lesson package, which was $130. That's WAY cheaper than Golftec, which would get me the swing analysis and nothing else.

The pro seemed to really listen to what I had to say, and pointed out my most pressing issues almost immediately. I need to get my downswing coming from the inside in order to hit the back inside part of the ball, and pronate my wrists through impact. I've really known full well about both issues, but he helped me with something very key - FOCUS. There are actually a lot of things that are "wrong" with my swing. But I told him I wanted to hit the ball straight(er), and this is what he had me work on the whole time. I also asked him which I needed to focus on more, and he indicated I should focus primarily on the wrist pronation, as that was the part I really had trouble with.

I need to work on those two things, and once I'm doing those consistently (6-7 out of 10 times, he said) I'll go back for my next lesson. He told me if I came back and was NOT doing them consistently, it would be a waste since he would just have me do the same things over again.

Perhaps the best part of the way they do it is for the 3 lesson package, I paid the $130 but it comes as a gift card. So if I decide two lessons are enough, for instance, I can use the rest towards anything else in the store. I'll try to post the video once I get it.
This sounds exactly how my lesson at Golf Galaxy went. Although you are paying less than I am by $15 for the three-lesson deal.

Very nice footage! Did the instructor give you any at-home drills to work on? Or is this more of a "keep coming back to see me" type of lesson arrangement?
My pro sent the same video a few days after the lesson. During the lesson, he gave me three specific things to work on to combat the two major issues I was having (a take-away issue, and subsequent casting to overcome the take-away problem). He didn't tell me not to come back until it was perfect, but did tell me to work on drills and hit the range 5 to 7 times before going back for lesson 2. I haven't gone back for lesson 2, but it happens this week or next.

I had my first lesson ever at golf galaxy. Bought a 3 pack and it helped my game alot. Worked mainly with a 7i but hit some driver as well. Glad to hear they are going well. I hope you see the improvements you're looking for!

Back