Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges Preview Thread

These will get another good workout over the weekend before I wrap up the review.

cgn, what are you looking for out of the K grind? Do you normally experience digging in the bunker or are you pretty shallow there too?
I and not a digger except in the sand which is the worst part of my game. I do just about everything wrong from blading to chunking. Last year I had a lesson and the Pro suggested I look for a wedge like the "K" type.

I use a full swing from the fairway with both sand 56.10 and lob 60.08 wedge with great success. We have very tight fairways and then they dry up and get very hard in the summer. I am thinking that a 54 M should be no problem with a full shot but the K with a higher bounce may not work very well for full shots. They K may have to be used as a sand wedge and in the long grass around the green.

Worth trying I guess, but I'm also shallow in the sand and the 60S was a superior sand club for me. Just food for thought.

Question for those more in the know. Aerotech a shaft option for these.

Question for those more in the know. Aerotech a shaft option for these.

Pretty sure. Just take a look at Titleists online catalog. List all the shafts available.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Got to hit these outdoors last night. Awesome feeling heads. These are getting ordered. I played around with the grinds and bounce options a little. I was really trying to decide between 8 and 12° in a 52. Looking at the divot patterns I felt like the 8 was a little flat for softer conditions, but a good part of my season is in firm conditions and I think the 12° will be a bit much in firmer conditions. If I start playing more early season tournaments I'll add a 12° for that. 10° would really be the best over all, but I can't remember if that is in the F Grind 52°. I really like the T Grind but it only comes in the 62° unless you go hand ground. The 56 M Grind is a great grind. I was able to open it up and hit flops, take a half swing and pick it, or take a 3/4 and take in low and hard. It's such a good grind. It will be on my 57° since I can't afford the Hand Ground option.

The S grind was nice options as well. Not as much trailing edge relief from what I remember and not at much on the heal but it was very workable. I was able to hit some flops with it. And it seemed to respond a little to a bigger swing than the M. Add a little more heal to that grind and it would be great.

Looks wise I love the raw black. Sinister looking. Some gloss black paintfill would look sick on that wedge. The gold was little disappointing. I was hoping for a little more gold and little less tan. I think that finish might wear funny as well.

Over all i was impressed. As someone who has hit just about every Vokey made, they have truly made their best wedge yet.

Testing wrapped up and will put my thoughts into words early next week.

Impressive wedges. Had some doubts about the grinds matching my needs when they first came in, but turns out they worked out pretty darn good. Just had to change the way I handled a few situations to adjust, which was no big deal.

I was 2/3 sand saves. LOL - that never ever happens to me. Other one I got out, but put a little too much juice on the ball and ended up with a long putt. One of the ones I made I missed holing out by about 2 inches. Fun day in the sand if there's such a thing. Used the 60/S for two and the 54/M for the other. Logic would say use the K, but learned in practice that the others were better.

The K is still fairly versatile. Used it both greenside and for pitch shots. It wants to toss the ball up in the air thanks to that big old sole, but inside 40 yards I can flight it down as well.

The Gold Nickel just about blinded me once due to glare. Black finish is wearing a bit.

Might go ahead and get these bent to my specs and keep them in the bag for a bit.

Any photos of the raw black after usage Hawk?

Gimme a few and I'll post a cell pic or two.

Gimme a few and I'll post a cell pic or two.

Appreciate it. Just wondering if it's raw as in rusty raw or more of a black oxide wear look.

Pretty light. No rust, but it's not really rusting weather.

de9a5eve.jpg

emydy4yq.jpg

Thanks a lot Hawk. Looks like it holds up fairly well.

Not bad at all considering it's getting used in the sand. It'll wear - pretty much a given - but it's not bad.

Interesting about the glare with the Gold Nickel as I haven't seen it. One thing I like is that the sun doesn't glare off these like the chrome.

I'll need to pay attention next time.,

Same thing with a satin chrome for me, so not unexpected. Keep in mind I typically play rust old wedges.

hello all!! just purchased a 50.12 with F Grind to replace my R11 A wedge. cant wait to hit this club!!!!

Congrats on the new wedge. Let us know how it works out for you.

will do....its coming in the mail,......and I live up in northern canada and there is still tons of snow here. I will give my take on the wedge in about a month. :\

Should get my 54/10 m grind any day now. Can't wait!

Should get my 54/10 m grind any day now. Can't wait!

Nice. That's what I have on the 54 as well. I've found it to be very nice for longer bunker shots.

I am loving these wedges so far, I havent been a huge fan of the Titleist wedges for the last couple of years over some other brands but this year I think I made the right choice by going with them.

Contemplating selling my SM2's and upgrading to these. Definitely going chrome or raw black, but will the black rust a lot? I'm not a fan of rust... I like the clean look.

Yes, it will likely rust over time.

I have a SM4 54.11 oilcan......its all rusted up nice....works like a charm!! good spin, good outa the bunkers, and has a nice touch. spins brilliantly also.

Last edited:
Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges Preview Thread

Did a wedge fitting a few weeks ago and went to 52 and 58 SM5. 1/2 over replaced a ping 58 and SM4 54 and 60. New 58 spins better than the SM4. 52 is taking some getting used to and been auditioning balls at the same time (project a and super soft). 52 worked its way seamlessly into my bag around the green but still working on getting the distances down out to 100 with the swing. 58 is just a monster. Good spin, lands soft. Even with the L grind I got no problems out of the sand. Nothing but impressed.

Decided I'll be ordering a set of SM5's today, 52*, 56* and 60*. Need some advice, any feedback is appreciate.

I used my buddy's 60*08M bounce and I was flopping shots around the green within 2-3 feet of the hole with ease. Felt amazing. I'm wondering whether the 08M bounce is exactly what I needed, or if a 04L or 11K would make my shots even better. My primary use for my 60* is for flopping around the green and flopping out of the sand, I never use it outside of 50 yards.

Which brings me to my next question, which bounce to get in the 52* and 56*. My 52 is mainly used for the 100-115 yard shots and to bump & run a flat green. My 56* is for anywhere in-between. The 60-90 yard shots and flops around the green where I have a lot of green to work with and I want the ball to run a bit.

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Back