Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges Preview Thread

I really like the options for these. Look forward to seeing review on these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What shafts do you have in these beautiful wedges?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's just the stock shaft. I don't have them next to me, but I think the band just says Vokey.

Must say, I wish the gold nickel was a little more noticeable, but still not sure if I would go them or raw black. Just for what would look better longer.

Taking the boy out today and will get a bunch of swings in with these. Practice bunker as well.

Taking the boy out today and will get a bunch of swings in with these. Practice bunker as well.

Pay attention to that M grind out of the sand. It works and works well.

Enjoy! My maiden voyage with the SM4 should be soon

Just changed to these wedges. Played last week for the first time with them. They really spin the ball. I have the 50/8 F grind and the 54/10 M grind. you will love them.

Pay attention to that M grind out of the sand. It works and works well.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on them vs Cleveland and Hopkins offerings... great looking wedges for sure, love that they are in THP hands for testing!

Must say, I wish the gold nickel was a little more noticeable, but still not sure if I would go them or raw black. Just for what would look better longer.

I'm the same, I wish it was more like the sm4 gold look. I'll probably opt for the black as well

Ready for your thoughts Ryan. I'm looking forward to an upcoming demo day with these and then a fitting for them.

What shafts do you have in these beautiful wedges?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stock is the TT S200 from what I was told

Stock is the TT S200 from what I was told

I would have to look but part of me remembers it being a DG wedge. I may be wrong. I had mine pulled and kbs shafts put in.

I hit a ton of balls with these today. Pitch and putt to stretch out a little, then the short game area from inside 50 yards and the bunker.

Love fresh groove wedges and a Z-Star. Ball was stopping dead or spinning on the longer pitches. Trajectory control was easy enough with all of them from longer distances as well.

Since they are different grinds I'm going to talk about each one briefly.

54° (M Grind) - At this loft, I'm usually taking pitch shot from 50 or 75 yards. The occasional greenside shot that I want to run out as well. Rarely open the face on it. Vokey says, "our M grind soles allow you to open the face of the wedge without the leading edge coming off the ground." It's got some heel relief too. I guess in my mind that kind of grind would be great in something like a 58°, but either way it doesn't matter. Nice contact was easy to come by with pitch shots. I opened it up a couple times and it was solid there too.

58° (K Grind) - K Grind is a classic wide sole wedge. Not a bad option to have in a 58°. Not exactly my first choice at that loft, but again that is sort of irrelevant. The benefit of a wide sole is that in softer conditions you'll be able to pop the ball up in the air quickly, and it proved to be really good at that. Same from some shorter rough. Makes the club really bouncy though, so if you're hoping to open up the club on a tighter lie you're going to have a hard time keeping the leading edge low to the ground. Square face pitch shots were easy to pull off - a little higher trajectory across the board. Lots of spin from this wedge on those shots. From the bunker, this could get some major love depending on your angle of attack. This one delivers that classic "thump" and really glides in the sand. For me, it actually delivered a lower trajectory out of the bunker than anticipated and needed a little more 'oomph' behind it to get the ball to the hole. I'm pretty shallow though, even in a steeper swing like a bunker shot. If the sand was really firm I suspect I'd be in trouble with this one a bit b/c it doesn't want to dig. If you're already steep and want a good gliding sole check it out.

60° (S Grind) - Really liked this club. Super versatile grind. Similar to the M in that it's going to allow some help keeping the leading edge down on open face and has some heel relief. Could throw up a low spinny pitch greenside and also swing right through and hit a soft landing lob shot from 50 yards or so. Out of the sand, this was a fantastic club for me. It dug enough that I could swing nice and smooth and it just popped the ball right up with a bunch of spin. I didn't expect to like this one as much as I did, but it was easily my favorite.

Good stuff Hawkster, Its def an interesting grind selection as per the lofts that they are on.

54° (M Grind) - At this loft, I'm usually taking pitch shot from 50 or 75 yards. The occasional greenside shot that I want to run out as well. Rarely open the face on it. Vokey says, "our M grind soles allow you to open the face of the wedge without the leading edge coming off the ground." It's got some heel relief too. I guess in my mind that kind of grind would be great in something like a 58°, but either way it doesn't matter. Nice contact was easy to come by with pitch shots. I opened it up a couple times and it was solid there too.

Love the thoughts here and the primary reason I went with the M in my 58 & the S in my 54. The M grind with that heel relief make bunker shots easier for me. I've struggled out of bunkers and this one had cured some of that.

Love the thoughts here and the primary reason I went with the M in my 58 & the S in my 54. The M grind with that heel relief make bunker shots easier for me. I've struggled out of bunkers and this one had cured some of that.

That's the direction I'd probably lean towards as well, though that S grind was great too.

Love it Hawk. I went S on my 54° and the M on the 60°. I'm intrigued what they can do from different areas.

That's the direction I'd probably lean towards as well, though that S grind was great too.

Given I play on tighter lies down here in Texas that 54S is becoming my go to wedge fit those pitches under 70yds.

If I lived somewhere like the PNW I'd have a K Grind 60 I think. That thing is made for lush conditions.

If I lived somewhere like the PNW I'd have a K Grind 60 I think. That thing is made for lush conditions.

Before I bought mine I checked out Hopkins grind suggestions and called Titleist to very the grind needed. Also the picker/neutral/digger type of player category helped IMO.

Before I bought mine I checked out Hopkins grind suggestions and called Titleist to very the grind needed. Also the picker/neutral/digger type of player category helped IMO.

After some time with them, the descriptions are definitely relevant for swing types. I wish they gave some more information on the site about the grinds, because really I think you need to get some consultation like you did or you could struggle to find a good match.

After some time with them, the descriptions are definitely relevant for swing types. I wish they gave some more information on the site about the grinds, because really I think you need to get some consultation like you did or you could struggle to find a good match.

Agree. I think a player can get in trouble by falling in love with a specific grind & the bounce associated not working bc it's too much for the type of conditions they normally play. On top of being a certain type of wedge player can give them fits.

All these recent thoughts just confirm how little I know about the best grinds for me. I'm looking for wedges but there's just so many options I'm lost. Thinking I should just wait for the TP's with atv grind haha make it easier

My 55° and 60° SM5s are supposedly being shipped to me today. I can't wait to get them out on the practice green and course.

I can not seem to make up my mind. I am a picker and Hopkins suggests a Heel/Toe grind SW and Heel grind LW. Crossing that over to a SM5 it looks like I have my sights on a 54.10 M and a 58.7 S. Does that look like an ok setup?

Back