I know I'm my own worst enemy ...

will_i_dream

Reaction score
Handicap
CONGU 8.4
... but did I really have to prove it to myself.

I played a round of golf at my home course yesterday. Nice and sunny, less than 10mph winds, great golfing weather. First signs that things could get interesting was on the second hole, left myself 200+ yards to the green off the tee, sitting in the first cut of rough with a nice lie. Playing into the wind I pulled the 5w to make sure I had the distance. I caught the shot sweet and the ball rolled about a foot left of the pin and 10ft past. I sunk the birdie putt for a net Eagle.
A couple of bogeys and a birdie later I'm on the 9th tee at level par for the round. I slice my drive into the rough, the ball was sitting okay, I shank the iron across the 10th fairway towards the pond. Thankfully it stopped short and leaves me with a 3w to the green, I'm in the clear and thinking I can rescue this hole. Pulled my 3w left of the green but found the middle of the fairway, chip on and two putts for bogey, net par. 37 strokes and +1
I hit my drive on the 10th, bounces right and I'm just off the fairway, I hit an 8 iron and semi shank, push it further right. My ball is in the clear and I'm pin high, chip on and walk away with a par I'm thinking. I blade it across the green, chip back on and two putt for a 6, net bogey.
Skip to the 16th and I drill a drive between the fairway bunkers, sitting middle of the green 50 yds out. I'm thinking birdie chance, my bladed wedge thinks otherwise, bogey.
17th I hit another great drive, fading from left edge back into the fairway, hit the wrong slope and find myself up against front edge of fairway bunker. Chip out, iron to the back of the green and two putt for bogey, net par.
On the 18th tee having played 35 shots, I want to finish with a par for 40 and gross 77. I don't think so. Drilled my tee shot down the middle of the fairway, 2nd shot 3w to the left rough in line with the front edge of the green. I get there and find a big tree in my way, with a bunker protecting the green. Nothing behind the pin so if I hit it long I'm good. Some grass jumps out of nowhere and stops my lob swing, ball moves a yard. Okay lets try and pitch below the tree and over the bunker. I hit the bottom branch and the ball drops right, to the front edge of the green. Hit a good putt to the back of the green leaving myself a 6ft putt, miss that and finish with a 7.

I had a great round and I'm annoyed with myself as it should have been a 75, 77 at worst but never a 79.

I get my card from my playing partner and sign it, enter the scores on the computer and think nothing of it until this morning. The guy marking my card had me down for a 43, I've signed it for an 80 and just never realised.

Several lessons learned, I now know I am capable of a mid 70 round at my course.
Always check your score at the end and know what you scored so any differences will be flagged up straight away.

Sorry if you got bored halfway through, I feel better now for sharing and laughing at myself

Last edited:
Another positive is that I knocked 0.4 off my handicap
Roll on next weekend

Well done man, you had it going for a while, that darn incorrect scorecard will get ya though lol. Great job!

Thanks Trout, a lesson learned and I'll be an idiot if I ever make that mistake again.

Based on your post I'm not sure if your more annoyed with the scoring mistake or the shots that you left out there that you want back. Sounds like both to me. But all in all for some reason its very funny and strange how a 79 can sound miles away from an 80. yet if we said 78 vs 79 it doesnt sound bad at all.

but anyway great round.
I can only wish i had those problems :)

But FWIW i only count a 6 (not 7) on that last hole. At least what i'm counting
#1 -Tee 3w shot to 20 yards behind tree
#2 -One yard flop
#3 -Hit branch to edge
#4 -Putt to back within 6feet
#5 -Miss that 6" putt
#6 -Hole out

And BTW as far as wanting some strokes back, of course you are a heck of player vs me but ever consdier laying up the last (#18) shorter hole? What i mean is the 3w miss is what put you behind the tree and started the downfall of that hole to begin with imo. Perhaps a shorter club in the fairway to a favorable approach yardage and an easy par with good chance at bird may have better served your desired 40.

Last edited:
The beauty of golf is that it's unpredictable. Anything can happen at anytime. Signing your card is on you but the round is the round. We are not going to shoot what we expect to shoot each time out. Sometimes it's better but most times it's worse. We have to deal with it and move on.

The issues come into play when we expect it every time. And that is just not going to happen. Unless you are putting in countless hours of proper practice and working on a swing that yields excellent results 75% of the time, shooting a number you don't like is in the cards.

Sounds like a very good round to me, but I bet there are countless thought processes, decisions, shots, holes and rounds that people would love to have again...

We have all been there.....but at least your game is starting to come back - also means I have a bit more work to do to try and catch up with your handicap

Based on your post I'm not sure if your more annoyed with the scoring mistake or the shots that you left out there that you want back. Sounds like both to me. But all in all for some reason its very funny and strange how a 79 can sound miles away from an 80. yet if we said 78 vs 79 it doesnt sound bad at all.

but anyway great round.
I can only wish i had those problems :)

But FWIW i only count a 6 (not 7) on that last hole. At least what i'm counting
#1 -Tee 3w shot to 20 yards behind tree
#2 -One yard flop
#3 -Hit branch to edge
#4 -Putt to back within 6feet
#5 -Miss that 6" putt
#6 -Hole out

And BTW as far as wanting some strokes back, of course you are a heck of player vs me but ever consdier laying up the last (#18) shorter hole? What i mean is the 3w miss is what put you behind the tree and started the downfall of that hole to begin with imo. Perhaps a shorter club in the fairway to a favorable approach yardage and an easy par with good chance at bird may have better served your desired 40.

I am assuming the last hole is a par 5? He said he had played 35 shots up to then and needed a par for a back nine of 40 so I am reading it as -

#1 -Tee shot down the middle
#2 -3w shot to 20 yards behind tree
#3 -One yard flop
#4 -Hit branch to edge
#5 -Putt to back within 6feet
#6 -Miss that 6" putt
#7 -Hole out

We have all been there.....but at least your game is starting to come back - also means I have a bit more work to do to try and catch up with your handicap

I am assuming the last hole is a par 5? He said he had played 35 shots up to then and needed a par for a back nine of 40 so I am reading it as -

#1 -Tee shot down the middle
#2 -3w shot to 20 yards behind tree
#3 -One yard flop
#4 -Hit branch to edge
#5 -Putt to back within 6feet
#6 -Miss that 6" putt
#7 -Hole out

Good point about catching the 5 to make 40. The way it sounded was like his tee shot was a 3wood to 20yards out so it through me off a bit :)
But anyway I would still imply (no right or wrong) but that 3w decision cost him just the same.

I certainly made some putts during the round, but there were a couple that didn't drop aswell. Overall I definitely feel like they balanced themselves out.
My main swipe at myself were the three wedge shots which I would normally drop on the green and two putt. Those definitely cost me four strokes on the round.
Then because I was annoyed with myself and not thinking straight I make the mistake with the score card.

As I said I'm taking a lot of positives from the round. Just need to eliminate the silly mistakes.

rollin - your question about laying up got me thinking about what happened

the green was in range for me so I was actually chasing a birdie
hit 3w at the bunker which is just short and left, expecting my usual fade to bring it inside the bunker and be on the green in two. Then two putt or three putt at worse for par.
I didn't catch it quite right, if anything hit it straight and a little left of where I had aimed. It actually ended up past that front bunker and in line with the front of the green. I have checked on the maps ha ha
that then left me what should have been a wedge over the tree and on to the green or over the back for a much easier return

rollin - your question about laying up got me thinking about what happened

the green was in range for me so I was actually chasing a birdie
hit 3w at the bunker which is just short and left, expecting my usual fade to bring it inside the bunker and be on the green in two. Then two putt or three putt at worse for par.
I didn't catch it quite right, if anything hit it straight and a little left of where I had aimed. It actually ended up past that front bunker and in line with the front of the green. I have checked on the maps ha ha
that then left me what should have been a wedge over the tree and on to the green or over the back for a much easier return

Just to have fun and play some devils advocate (which we all know i can like to do). But its all for the greater good in our discussions imo if you dont mind.

You had mentioned you had 35 and was looking to finish with a 40. So what you wanted was a very obtainable par to satisfy your back 9 score. But playing for par imo should have meant hitting the safest shots to get on in 3 and (at your higher level) probably assure the desired par but also with a fair chance at bird. But instead chosing the 3w says to me that your really thinking bird as you now mention with chance at eagle and worst case a par. You took the risk (even if small) to one better your desired par but it went wrong and it didnt reward you. Instead it cost you imo. But you look at the lobs/chips that failed which they did but I am looking at what got you to that place to begin with and what i would blame for not getting the 40 or possible very obtainable 39.. Hope you dont mind me playing with this here. Its not meant as anything bad or dictative. Just about how we view our choices.

Last edited:
Not at all, you are welcome to comment however you want and you are probably correct.
My choice of shot probably speaks volumes about my attacking playing style in golf. It's the way I enjoy playing the game, no fear of what could happen, take the risky shot as after all it's only a game I play at the weekends

Not at all, you are welcome to comment however you want and you are probably correct.
My choice of shot probably speaks volumes about my attacking playing style in golf. It's the way I enjoy playing the game, no fear of what could happen, take the risky shot as after all it's only a game I play at the weekends

well, with a single digit cap. You are ceratinly doing something right or in fact many things riight. I am jealous :)

Back