Swinging a traing aid between tee shots

I always assumed gps devices were legal to use, I guess I haven't been golfing long enough to know
any different.

Must not have liked his Amateur? :surrender: :confused2:

Actually, i believe he kept playing even though he was DQ'd so his amateur could keep playing.

GPS and rangefinders have been allowed under local rule in tournaments since 2006. The USGA is going to allow them in the amateur championships this year too.

During play? I was under the impression that they were allowable only in practice rounds and such so they can grab measurements and mark it in their yardage books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a casual round, let him swing it. Bigger fish to fry.

My thoughts exactly

During play? I was under the impression that they were allowable only in practice rounds and such so they can grab measurements and mark it in their yardage books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the PGA tour....no....but in must other events yes

Just one of the questionable rules of golf. You can only swing with a "doughnut" on the first hole. (training aid) You can swing multiple clubs anytime during the round..

I don't see the real difference...

its funny when reading a thread, some people are talking everyday rounds, some local tournaments, some PGA tour.

Bottom line is this a tournament committee on any level of golf can create a local rule that allows various exceptions to USGA/R&A Rules.

Swinging a traing aid between tee shots

Bottom line is this a tournament committee on any level of golf can create a local rule that allows various exceptions to USGA/R&A Rules.

Not true.

ysyda4e6.jpg

It's not against the rules to carry something like the Orange Whip in the bag or even use it for stretching during a round. However, you cannot swing it during a round.

http://www.orangewhiptrainer.com/pdf/USGADecisionOW.pdf
I'm replying to this only to say that I prefer my Orange Whip as a stretching tool...over a swing tool. I'm sure there is a benefit to swinging it, but I see greater benefit in using it to stretch quickly before a round.

I'm replying to this only to say that I prefer my Orange Whip as a stretching tool...over a swing tool. I'm sure there is a benefit to swinging it, but I see greater benefit in using it to stretch quickly before a round.

From what I see, there can be NO type of aid used at any time after you tee off on the first tee.

How do use it to stretch as opposed to swing?

I see the authorities said that's ok, just wondering what your stretching drill is.

Not true.

ysyda4e6.jpg

Isnt that conradicting to this?

During a stipulated round, the use of any distance measuring device is not permitted unless the Committee has introduced a Local Rule to that effect

What i mean is that they say a committee can not change a rule of golf however here ^^^^ they say by "rule" that measuring device is not permitted but also say the committe can change the rule localy.
So here they are allowing the committe to change a rule yet while they mainatin to say a committee cant change a rule? Whats up with that? LOL

During a stipulated round, the use of any distance measuring device is not permitted unless the Committee has introduced a Local Rule to that effect

What i mean is that they say a committee can not change a rule of golf however here ^^^^ they say by "rule" that measuring device is not permitted but also say the committe can change the rule localy.
So here they are allowing the committe to change a rule yet while they mainatin to say a committee cant change a rule? Whats up with that? LOL

I think what the USGA is saying is this is the only rule that can be waived.

Well talked to my local pro who helps with Usga junior events . The range finders are permitted for practice rounds .. But not the actual tourney . He said same applies for our city championship, local rules were set not permitting range finders or cell phones with gps . Said you should check with tournament committee boards if they will be allowed . At least 90% of tournaments he helps run don't allow range finders .

Interesting , but I guess I can see why

The USGA included "unless" allowing the committee to make the change. It's an easy out for the USGA. It just puts the onus on the committee tone clear regarding the rules.

How do use it to stretch as opposed to swing?

I see the authorities said that's ok, just wondering what your stretching drill is.
Nothing too extravagant. I just pull it back over my shoulders and use it to stretch out my arms, chest, and back. Bend over and stretch my hamstrings. I think it helps pre-round.

The USGA included "unless" allowing the committee to make the change. It's an easy out for the USGA. It just puts the onus on the committee tone clear regarding the rules.

So the committee can introduce a "local rule"?

I think what the USGA is saying is this is the only rule that can be waived.

So the committee can introduce a "local rule"?

As long as the local rule doesn't eliminate a rule of golf.

Except (just to have fun with this) in this case where they are saying this rule can be waved is imo the same as eliminating a rule. Its a catch-22 isn't it? . They make a rule to fit all rules except when they see it fit to differ. Its basically a kangaroo court. But no one ever said it was a democracy. :confused2:

Except (just to have fun with this) in this case where they are saying this rule can be waved is imo the same as eliminating a rule. Its a catch-22 isn't it? . They make a rule to fit all rules except when they see it fit to differ. Its basically a kangaroo court. But no one ever said it was a democracy. :confused2:

That's true, it's a combined dictatorship with the USGA and R&A!

If it was a Democracy, they never would have come up with the groove change nor the non-banning of the anchored stroke!

Back