Meniscus tear with ACL strain, how long to come back?

Daddio

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just learned I tore meniscus in my right knee (RH golfer) and might have mini tear in ACL. Anyone have insight on when I might get back to golf activities? This stinks big time. Over the winter I've devoted so much time $ and effort to getting back into golf after an 18 yr layoff. Yesterday afternoon I was comparing two of the more promising drivers to upgrade my old R5 (i25 and bio cell+) using my new SC100 monitor; (love it for such endeavors BTW). A few hours later I'm walking up a flight of stairs in the house for like the 6th time after my demo range session and my knee just pops. UGHH!!!

Not sure about the ACL, but both my mensci are torn and I'm fine with just about everything other than running and direct pressure on the joint (i.e. leg presses).

I tore my MCL and sprained my meniscus and played golf relatively pain free. Now a newly torn meniscus might be painful to walk on and crazy stances may hurt the ACL, but you should be able to do something. Putting doesn't put any stress on that stuff!

Like hawk said you can manage the meniscus, but ACL is another animal. You know it's a partial tear for sure? If so Dr should recommend layoff time or PT.

You should get this advice from whoever your doctor is. He knows more about your situation than anyone on a golf forum.

Well, it sounds like he went to a doctor and was just looking to see if others had the same issue Smalls :)

I've had two meniscus surgeries on my left knee (weight bearing one) and each time I was playing again within 4 weeks. Pretty much the first 3 to 4 days are the roughest.

After thst just follow your PT and don't chest on it.

However the ACL is the C factor here. You are going for an MRI I assume.

As both the other guys said. You can play on a torn Meniscus if you can handle the pain. At least that's what my Dr. Said. So I put it off until the winter time both times.

However now with the surgeries and arthritis setting in I'm looking at a full knee replacement.

Good luck.

The ACL strain, you need to let that rest up. That's not something you want to tear, because that would be a bigger downtime than the meniscus.

The meniscus on the other hand, will leave you a dull annoying pain and every once in a while, a wonderful sharp one if you twist the wrong way. It's annoying, but you can live with the torn meniscus. If you elected to get surgery, mine was 4-6 weeks. I was up and moving after about 3 with no real issues but it did get a little cranky and inflamed and required a cortisone shot to bring it back to normal. Haven't had any issues with it since, and it'll be 6 years this summer (jeeezz where did the time go, it didn't feel like 6 years)

The ACL strain, you need to let that rest up. That's not something you want to tear, because that would be a bigger downtime than the meniscus.

The meniscus on the other hand, will leave you a dull annoying pain and every once in a while, a wonderful sharp one if you twist the wrong way. It's annoying, but you can live with the torn meniscus. If you elected to get surgery, mine was 4-6 weeks. I was up and moving after about 3 with no real issues but it did get a little cranky and inflamed and required a cortisone shot to bring it back to normal. Haven't had any issues with it since, and it'll be 6 years this summer (jeeezz where did the time go, it didn't feel like 6 years)

Love that. Mine comes when I kneel down and get back up. Yowza.

You guys are 100% right obviously, just happened, first experience with the ortho doc. When he saw me I had lots of trouble deciphering exactly what he meant, cultural/language barrier. I'm sure I'll get a clearer picture over the next few days. Lots of encouragement in the responses as it not impacting golf too much. Thanks!

Love that. Mine comes when I kneel down and get back up. Yowza.

Yep, putting was how I knew something wasn't right. Knee had been a little dull pain but I just figured it was because I did something stupid. Bent down to read a putt, AHHHH WHAT THE HECK

You should get this advice from whoever your doctor is. He knows more about your situation than anyone on a golf forum.

He may also know more about golf. :act-up:

Well, it sounds like he went to a doctor and was just looking to see if others had the same issue Smalls :)

You're probably right!

If it's ACL at all, rest up! I repeat, REST UP!

After my ACL surgery 3 years ago I didn't golf again until the following season. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.

He may also know more about golf. :act-up:
ha, I know a one legged golfer my doc could beat pretty handily right now

ha, I know a one legged golfer my doc could beat pretty handily right now

ROFL. Can we start a "Post of the Day" thread.

Make sure that the ACL is not torn and is just strained! I have torn my ACL 4 times, torn my meniscus twice, and had 5 total knee surgeries. My knees are essentially worthless.

If your ACL is torn, you have two options only: (1) have surgery and be out of golf for 8 - 12 months; or (2) don't do anything and pray that your knee doesn't give out. If you are older, or don't play sports with a lot of cutting, or don't regularly put a heavy load on that knee, you may be able to get away with no surgery if you have a really good knee brace.

man that sucks hopfully there is no tear in the ACL that would take some time to come back from

Last fall I discovered I had a partially torn ACL in my right knee, and a partially torn MCL in my left knee. I'm a big guy , and golf was many times a painful endeavor. I had 3 months of PT 3x weekly to strengthen my knees around my injuries, so far so good,

I had 3 Meniscus clean ups by 52 years old (left knee) and was told I had a torn ACL. Well felt great and was playing one on one basketball with my 17 yr old son and drove hard to the left and planted for a jump shot, the ACL let go and wow it was the most painful moment of my life.
Had a complete ACL replacement at 53 after wearing a brace for golf and that became the most painful experience of my life, (no matter what they tell you get extra pain meds and strong ones) about 2 years to be fully recovered and now the knee only aches in the morning until I exercise and stretch out. Do not take the ACL tear lightly.

I'm currently playing with a still torn ACL. ACLs don't heal on their own so surgery is the only repair option. My tear happened to be on the inside of my knee, so my swing is into the strong part of the ligaments. I don't play sports anymore other than golf, snowboarding and flyfishing, so ill wear a brace while doing the second two. It certainly isn't the smartest thing to keep going despite this injury, but I take a lot of care to not put it at risk.

The meniscus can be a bugger tho because it will slowly disappear with activity if not fixed and usually leads to arthritis.

The old nu 720 would like to slap the snot out of the young nu720. 2 bad knees, bad back, crappy shoulder. Lacrosse and being an ironworker. The young nu720 did live an awesome life though. When I die i want my body to have been used to the max.

The old nu 720 would like to slap the snot out of the young nu720. 2 bad knees, bad back, crappy shoulder. Lacrosse and being an ironworker. The young nu720 did live an awesome life though. When I die i want my body to have been used to the max.

No regrets, dude. You've earned your stripes. Badge of honor

I'll echo what the others have said about the meniscus, I tore mine running and it was just a lot of rest until it healed up. It was sore for a bit, and my history of knee issues led to the doc telling me that was the final straw, no more hockey or running. The ACL though... yeah man, good luck with that one, hopefully it's nothing too major.

I actually played my best golf with a torn ACL (while prehabbing). Post surgery, golf struggled a lot. Had to relearn swing. And mentally hard to trust the knee again without any worry after so many months of PT.

Back