Define hitting through the ball vs at the ball

Joshsmit56001

Reaction score
Handicap
I am having a hard time with this concept and I need your help! If you have any articles or videos you can post or a great definition that would be awesome!

Josh

Think of chopping down a tree with an axe......that's hitting AT something....all of your speed and power focuses on the moment of contact...and it doesn't work well in golf

I don't know how to describe hitting through the ball.....I like to think of it more like taking my practice swing and the ball just gets in the way

Don't concentrate so much on hitting the ball, instead concentrate on making a good swing with a nice finish and the ball just happens to get hit along the way.

Hope that makes sense.

I just found this on You Tube....it's pretty good

[video=youtube_share;1-ayz5u0hZg]http://youtu.be/1-ayz5u0hZg[/video]

Think of chopping down a tree with an axe......that's hitting AT something....all of your speed and power focuses on the moment of contact...and it doesn't work well in golf

My coach uses this as an effective visualisation when working with people who are all arms to encourage using the big muscles.

I thought it meant hitting past the ball, not at it.

I think of it like my boxing instructor told me (many years and even more lbs ago). "Don't punch his face, punch the back of his head through his face."

Or as I think of it, you always want to be accelerating through the ball (or face depending on the sport). No matter full swing, pitch, chip or putt, deceleration is bad (IE chili dip).

For me, I want to feel like I am hitting top speed 3-4 inches past that ball. Not sure if that helps in anyway shape or form, but there it is from this duffers perspective.

Not so much a definition, but:
When I hit "at" the ball, I felt like I was attempting to micromanage the clubhead. I focused on actively putting the clubhead on the ball which led to too many little impulses.
When I started to feel as though I swung through the ball, the process turned into one fluid motion. The thought of putting the clubhead on the ball disappeared and was replaced by the thought of the ball, like TripleBogieTim said, just being in the way.

I'm usually a sweeper on the course but I like to tell myself to swing AT a spot 2-3 inches in front of the ball and that will get me to swing through the ball. It will make it feel like the ball just got in the way as TripleBogieTim mentioned.

To me it means that my diviot is after the ball not before it

To me, taking a practice swing (with no ball or tee) is what it's like to hit through the ball.

To me it means that my diviot is after the ball not before it

Same understanding I have...ball, grass, ground. I like some of the Shawn Clement/Wisdom in Golf videos.

Pretty simple, it just means accelerating through impact. If you are hitting at the ball, you are probably decelerating when you actually make contact. This is another reason to think about "swinging the club" rather than "hitting the ball".

Same understanding I have...ball, grass, ground. I like some of the Shawn Clement/Wisdom in Golf videos.

i second this check out his channel search "through the ball"

This is a great thread. Lots of people struggle with it. I haven't thought about hitting thru the ball in a while. The punching the back of their head thru their face was a great analogy. But a little violent :laughing: TBT said it easiest IMO. Thanks for starting this thread. I bet it opens some eyes.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Define hitting through the ball vs at the ball

Hi I'm CAA_Beat and Im a hitter :(

Really good answers and thoughts in here. Thanks everyone.

I think of swinging and the ball gets in the way. You ever hear anybody use the excuse "well my practice swing felt good" haha that's because they weren't trying to hit the ball. I just try to visualize my swing and almost forget about the ball

Reminds me of my fiesta lesson:

Me: what part of the ball should I keep my eyes on when swinging?
Instructor: (puzzled look) why? Your trying to high through ball not at ball. Ball is just getting in the way of the swing. Don't let the ball defeat you.

i second this check out his channel search "through the ball"

3rd ed! I tend to have this problem mainly with the driver, and the Clement videos really helped. The funny thing is, I boxed for years and always knew about the "punch through" idea, but never though to apply it to golf?

Couple excellent tips/videos in here for me! I'm most certainly a "caster" currently, and I can't go back for my 2nd lesson until I fix it!

Haven't checked this thread in awhile and these are some great answers. I have stopped doing practice swings and I think this has helped some. Something about it seems to free up my swing. Other thing I have been trying is constant grip pressure and loose arms and wrists to swing freely and let the big muscles work many have said. Keep the ideas coming.

To me it mean's completing your swing from take away to finish instead of after making contact and coming to an abrupt stop

Back