PING Karsten Hybrid Iron Set Review Thread

Thanks for the great review Hawk , will make it a point to look into these for certain when I finally pull the trigger on irons later this year.

Hit the irons and found them very forgiving and consistent for distance. The hybrids seemed decent but I need to compare them to my current ones side by side before buying. I did order the irons in stiff graphite. Thanks for all the info on this site which helps people like me that live 3 hours from the nearest place to try them and depend on other's reviews. Anyone gaming the s flex graphites?

Hit the irons and found them very forgiving and consistent for distance. The hybrids seemed decent but I need to compare them to my current ones side by side before buying. I did order the irons in stiff graphite. Thanks for all the info on this site which helps people like me that live 3 hours from the nearest place to try them and depend on other's reviews. Anyone gaming the s flex graphites?

I'm not playing them but when I tested them out it was stiff graphite. Solid irons and very forgiving. The graphite flew rather high, but other than that seemed to work fine in my brief time.

Let us know how they work for you.

will give some range time feedback. Just wanted to say thanks again for all the info here. Most other places have General info that lacks depth and THP had the most info to go on. With my limited testing time I went to GT first cause they had the hybrids. They were busy and the guy that tried to fit me got it wrong. I then went to a smaller shop and got a proper fitting and they even stayed open an hour late for me! High ball flight should be fine as my long iron ball striking needs work.

Congrats on the irons Karl, and thanks for the kind words!

Congrats on the irons Karl, and thanks for the kind words!
Your very welcome. I am still considering getting the hybrids. Does anyone have anymore feedback on the hybrids out of different lies and off the tee? Anything better out there? I have the VRS hybrids right now FWIW. Thanks.

Your very welcome. I am still considering getting the hybrids. Does anyone have anymore feedback on the hybrids out of different lies and off the tee? Anything better out there? I have the VRS hybrids right now FWIW. Thanks.

I didn't really like the hybrids as much as I thought I would. Ball flight wasn't high enough, especially compared to the way the irons got the ball in the air. However, others have really enjoyed them.

After some testing over the last week with these and some other irons, I've decided to go with these. Nice easy high strong (no ballooning) ball flight. I'm setting up a fitting before ordering. Thanks for everyone posting in this thread and the other iron threads, THP is just the best!
One question about set composition. What are some of you other guys going with? I guess my main question is how easy is the 5 iron to hit? Nobody in the area has had the whole set in stock and the Ping rep didn't have the whole set last week at a local demo day. I'm leaning towards the 4h, 5h, 6-UW set up, but I'm curious about any 5 iron impressions?

It was fine, but I still wished they'd sent the 5h.

I originally ordered the 6-PW. I then added the 5h and 4H to my order because they were easy to hit for the limited time I hit both. I didn't try the 5I. According to Mark Crossfield's video review he said to hybrids have an iron length shaft and not a conventional hybrid length shaft. I also benefitted from going to two different fitters as one got it totally wrong. Good Luck!

I originally ordered the 6-PW. I then added the 5h and 4H to my order because they were easy to hit for the limited time I hit both. I didn't try the 5I. According to Mark Crossfield's video review he said to hybrids have an iron length shaft and not a conventional hybrid length shaft. I also benefitted from going to two different fitters as one got it totally wrong. Good Luck!

Thanks Ryan and Karl! I think the 5 hybrid is the best option for me.

Karl, if you don't mind me asking, how did the one fitter get it wrong?

The Ping rep gave me a quick lie angle fit and order recommendations at last week's demo day and I'm arranging a fuller fitting from a PGA pro and shop owner who fitted me for my G20s about 3 years ago. So, I guess this will be a 2nd opinion.

Just purchased 3,4,5 hybrids and 6-pw irons. Regular steel shafts (graphite in hybos). Have played 2 rounds and I am thoroughly impressed. Irons have a surprisingly super soft feel and deliver the expected Ping forgiveness. High but penetrating ball flight and outstanding distance control. For me the eye openers are the hybrids. They flow effortlessly into the iron set with gapping that is spot on! By far they are the easiest to hit hybrids I have run into....perhaps due to the slightly shorter than normal shaft length. Hybrid ball flight is not too high....just perfect for me. Shot 75 and 76 and I honestly think those scores reflected the good shots that were hit with hybrids and short irons into greens. Have always been a Ping fan I think these are game changers for me..... at least during the honeymoon!

Well the first guy I think was busy with other customers and I'm not sure he was a designated fitter at GT. He recommended the wrong lie and the wrong shaft length. Good thing I went to a smaller shop for a real fitting as that was my first time being fitted. You should be fine with the PGA pro you have seen before. Also thanks for the feedback Bruin. I'm feeling more confident about adding the hybrids to my purchase. I'm interested in how they will hit in different grass lengths, downhill lies and such.

Well the first guy I think was busy with other customers and I'm not sure he was a designated fitter at GT. He recommended the wrong lie and the wrong shaft length. Good thing I went to a smaller shop for a real fitting as that was my first time being fitted. You should be fine with the PGA pro you have seen before. Also thanks for the feedback Bruin. I'm feeling more confident about adding the hybrids to my purchase. I'm interested in how they will hit in different grass lengths, downhill lies and such.

Hey Karl, I only recall two shots with the hybrids from questionable lies. One was a lay-up second shot on a par five from medium length rough..ball sitting down slightly. The 3-hy came out beautifully. I also had another second shot on a par five from the fairway with a side hill lie and the ball above my feet. Once again, no problem with the 4-hy. I'll make a note to report back any other results from difficult lies.

Just purchased 3,4,5 hybrids and 6-pw irons. Regular steel shafts (graphite in hybos). Have played 2 rounds and I am thoroughly impressed. Irons have a surprisingly super soft feel and deliver the expected Ping forgiveness. High but penetrating ball flight and outstanding distance control. For me the eye openers are the hybrids. They flow effortlessly into the iron set with gapping that is spot on! By far they are the easiest to hit hybrids I have run into....perhaps due to the slightly shorter than normal shaft length. Hybrid ball flight is not too high....just perfect for me. Shot 75 and 76 and I honestly think those scores reflected the good shots that were hit with hybrids and short irons into greens. Have always been a Ping fan I think these are game changers for me..... at least during the honeymoon!

Thanks for the great feedback on the hybrids, Bruin! I feel the same way about the high penetrating ball flight with the irons. The Karstens are definitely the longest GI irons that Ping has made. You definitely have me pondering the 3H. I hit it pretty well at the demo day a week or so ago.

If you don't mind me asking, did you pass up the UW because of it's size or do you just prefer your current gap wedge?

Thanks, Karl! I'm glad you found a place where you got a good fitting.
I'm always leery of getting fitted at a "big box" golf store because of the situation you encountered. We don't really have one of these in the Champaign-Urbana area. We have a Dick's SG, but their golf equipment offerings are about half of their online selection and they don't have any LM equipment.

Thanks for the great feedback on the hybrids, Bruin! I feel the same way about the high penetrating ball flight with the irons. The Karstens are definitely the longest GI irons that Ping has made. You definitely have me pondering the 3H. I hit it pretty well at the demo day a week or so ago.

If you don't mind me asking, did you pass up the UW because of it's size or do you just prefer your current gap wedge?

Great question, Illini! Actually, I have loved all the UWs in previous Ping offerings as well as the Karsten UW. I am lucky to be fitted to black dot, standard length, etc and when I purchased the set my retailer they did not have the right UW in stock. I have ordered one and expect it in a couple days.

Gotha, they had the 3-PW set in stock with your specs. You got to walk out with your new set, great deal! Good to hear the UW is on the way. I like the gap wedge to match the rest of my iron set.
Thanks again, Bruin.

For a forgiveness perspective, my first trip to the driving range I could'nt even hit my R11 7I. So how did I hit the Karsten 7I at GT a week earlier? Must have been the technology. Anyway I'm rocking my R11 irons now but can't wait for the Karstens to come in. Can anyone compare the two Iron types for perspective?

I hit the 4 hybrid at GT r-flex vs s-flex. Both had the same launch angle, felt very solid at contact, and were dead straight. The s-flex was about 10 yards longer total distance.

I hit the 4 hybrid at GT r-flex vs s-flex. Both had the same launch angle, felt very solid at contact, and were dead straight. The s-flex was about 10 yards longer total distance.

Interesting, Karl. What flex did you get in your irons?

Finally have a fitting scheduled for Saturday.

I have the s flex graphit irons which feel nice and stable for my swing. Didn't get them on the course yet due to snow shutting down the course today. Not too much feedback on the graphite shafts out there so I will be reporting back later this week on them.

Ok, so I have two rounds in with the 6i-Pw stiff flex graphite. The clubs are very easy to hit out of any lie with a piercing mid-high ball flight. I am finding the greens and the ball (SR 2) is getting ample backspin to stay on the greens. These clubs are really performing even though its still cold spring weather here. Even the 6 and 7 I easily hit without hesitation unlike my previous set. For looks, the heads actually match nicely to the 1/2 longer shafts and slightly larger grips (ping gold) I was fitted too.

I just couldn't be happier with these irons and it's cool to see other people out there enjoying them as well. I shot the low round of my golfing career today and for the second nine the wind was picking up. Strange part is that I was 8 over on the front and only 3 over on the back when it was much more windy. Whatever I love this game, I love these irons and I love the 83 I wrote on my scorecard today.

That is awesome dude.

Back