Question on Pro V1 versus Pro V1x

-CRW-

Reaction score
I recently purchased some used Pro V1/V1x balls in AAAA quality. I wanted to try them out and alternated them on the course this past Sunday.

My question is, why would I slice with the Pro V1x when I hit straight with the Pro V1. I understand that the Pro V1 is supposed to be softer than the V1x, but that the V1 is supposed to spin more than the V1x.

I thought maybe there was a problem with one particular V1x since they were used balls but tried to others from the lot and had the same result. My typical miss is a pull. So I had 2 missed fairways from pulls using the Pro V1 ball, and 3 from slices all using a different Pro V1x ball.

I really didn't notice much difference between the two balls in their flight with my irons, or on their spin/landing on approach shots, or putting. There were both nice and straight on chips/pitches. I holed out for birdie on the first hole, but my round was down hill from there...

Coincidence is my guess. Slice is just an open face on the same swing path - generally speaking.

I'm with you in that both balls were very similar with spin into greens.

Coincidence is my guess. Slice is just an open face on the same swing path - generally speaking.

I have a hard time believing that it was coincidence because I spread out my use of the v1x's over several holes, with straight drives with pro v1's in between them. I even used 3 different pro v1x's that all had the same result off the tee.

That being said, I will play them again next round on holes were I have time for a second tee shot to try and determine if it was just coincidence. Maybe there are others with similar experiences with the Pro V1x?

A slice isn't created by a ball though. It's created by a combination of swing path and face angle. Unless there was some sort of defect I guess, but even then - I have no idea how that would create the conditions to make a ball slice.

Personally, I actually move the Pro V1 more than the Pro V1x as it is higher spin off the tee and I am a higher spin player. More spin= more movement. The Pro V1X in all honesty should have moved less than the Pro V1.

Personally, I actually move the Pro V1 more than the Pro V1x as it is higher spin off the tee and I am a higher spin player. More spin= more movement. The Pro V1X in all honesty should have moved less than the Pro V1.

This has been my experience as well. V1x a little lower launching as well.

A slice isn't created by a ball though. It's created by a combination of swing path and face angle. Unless there was some sort of defect I guess, but even then - I have no idea how that would create the conditions to make a ball slice.

I understand that completely, but every ball design reacts differently off of the same club face. I guess to clarify my question, could the pro v1x be reacting in such a way with my swing/club head/shaft as to exagerate the slice when I come through with an open club face? While the pro v1 is reacting less or differenlty with my swing/club head/shaft.

That's what I understood from reading up on the ball design. Which is why I'm confused. I can't see it being psychological because before that round, it's been 6+ months since I've hit a pro v1, and I've never hit a pro v1x before.

I'm not disagreeing with it being coincidence, but if that's the case it's a whole lot of coincidence. Like a once a millenium entire galactic alignment coicidence. I thought a combination of ball/equipment/swing could have exaggerated a swing flaw.

I understand that completely, but every ball design reacts differently off of the same club face. I guess to clarify my question, could the pro v1x be reacting in such a way with my swing/club head/shaft as to exagerate the slice when I come through with an open club face? While the pro v1 is reacting less or differenlty with my swing/club head/shaft.

In a very small percentage perhaps. Very small percentage however.
I tend to agree with Hawk here in that its coincidence.
Unless of course you feel that you are just not compressing the harder ball. However Titleist says that does not matter (I happen to disagree).

My comment was more specific to a pull vs a slice.

In a very small percentage perhaps. Very small percentage however.
I tend to agree with Hawk here in that its coincidence.
Unless of course you feel that you are just not compressing the harder ball. However Titleist says that does not matter (I happen to disagree).

This is somewhat a long the lines of what I was thinking. I can swing fast, around 111 mph with the driver, but with no control what so ever. To remedy that I switched to a heavy 80 gram X-Stiff shaft in my R1. I've had it for about a month and it's worked wonders for my driver. I was using the E6 ball though, and found that it would not hold greens at all for me. That is the reason why I thought now would be the time to try a different ball.

I have not been on trackman since I switched shafts, so I have no idea what I'm swinging it at. The old numbers were with a 55 gram regular flex shaft.

That is where there appears to be a disconnect. If you were overpowering the e6 golf ball (meaning overcompression), it would fly high and land soft. Spin would not be a concern at all. To be fair, spin is mostly about technique and I think you will find controlling through trajectory, the ball will in fact hold greens.

I have to agree with Hawk on this one. Based on all coming in, I think you will find it to be coincidence at this level.

Time for a blind tasting. Knowing which ball you are hitting may have you making sub-conscience changes to your swing. Try a session at the range with someone else teeing up your ball for you so that you can not see what type of ball is being hit. You could also do this on a launch monitor.

I think there also might be the possibility that when you know you are hitting the Pro V1x, you are over-swinging because of the notion that it's for "high swing speeds". Over-swinging leads to a lot of swing inconsistencies.

I just don't see how it could be the ball's fault.

I think there also might be the possibility that when you know you are hitting the Pro V1x, you are over-swinging because of the notion that it's for "high swing speeds". Over-swinging leads to a lot of swing inconsistencies.

Agree
I know when i over swing my swing falls apart and my club head speed will accually drop

No. The Prov1 spins more if anything you should see more with it.
Coincidence. Sounds like over the top move. Pull and a pull slice miss. On the Prov1 shots you just didn't have an open Club face to go along with the over the top move.

I don't think it's the balls "fault", I was just looking at all the possibilities. The possibility of not swinging hard enough was such a possibility. I don't know at this point without getting on trackman.

I will use both balls again next round and do it blindly. I know I have a slight OTT move, but typically manage it well enough to hit a straight drive or pull. This was just an not the experience I expected with the ball.

That is where there appears to be a disconnect. If you were overpowering the e6 golf ball (meaning overcompression), it would fly high and land soft. Spin would not be a concern at all. To be fair, spin is mostly about technique and I think you will find controlling through trajectory, the ball will in fact hold greens.

I have to agree with Hawk on this one. Based on all coming in, I think you will find it to be coincidence at this level.

I noticed high ball flight with no roll out with the e6 with my driver in the current set up, but when set at 12 degrees of loft. As I lowered the loft I got better results out of the ball and found it to roll out a lot for me. The last time I played it was around 3 weeks ago, maybe more. As of that point in time I didn't land a lot of my approach shots with the e6. I either came up short or missed the green left with a pull. I mostly found myself chipping/pitching the ball to the green and watched it roll across and off the back despite getting up in the air. I'm not crazy, because I golf with others that noticed the same thing. I switched briefly to the project(a) and saw the ball hold greens much better when pitching/chipping. This was another contributor to my decision to try the pro v1/v1x balls.

Now that I'm hitting some greens on approach shots/par 3's I'm sure the e6 could work for those specific shots. I still don't think it would work for me around the greens. I know the pro v1 and project(a) both worked better so I have no reason to go back.

I also don't think I ever overcompressed the e6 because several months ago I switched from 85 gram stock RBZ reg flex shafts to 130 gram S300 shafts in an attempt to lower my swing speed and improve my tempo to a level that I can physically control. I intentionally try to shorten my backswing and use 80% or so of what I feel my power is to try and make the best contact possible. My PW distance started out with the AP2/S300's at 110 yards. I'm between 120-130 now and my longest on trackman was still only 138. So I don't think I'm swinging the club nearly fast enough to overcompress any ball.

I noticed high ball flight with no roll out with the e6 with my driver in the current set up, but when set at 12 degrees of loft. As I lowered the loft I got better results out of the ball and found it to roll out a lot for me. The last time I played it was around 3 weeks ago, maybe more. As of that point in time I didn't land a lot of my approach shots with the e6. I either came up short or missed the green left with a pull. I mostly found myself chipping/pitching the ball to the green and watched it roll across and off the back despite getting up in the air. I'm not crazy, because I golf with others that noticed the same thing. I switched briefly to the project(a) and saw the ball hold greens much better when pitching/chipping. This was another contributor to my decision to try the pro v1/v1x balls.

Now that I'm hitting some greens on approach shots/par 3's I'm sure the e6 could work for those specific shots. I still don't think it would work for me around the greens. I know the pro v1 and project(a) both worked better so I have no reason to go back.

I also don't think I ever overcompressed the e6 because several months ago I switched from 85 gram stock RBZ reg flex shafts to 130 gram S300 shafts in an attempt to lower my swing speed and improve my tempo to a level that I can physically control. I intentionally try to shorten my backswing and use 80% or so of what I feel my power is to try and make the best contact possible. My PW distance started out with the AP2/S300's at 110 yards. I'm between 120-130 now and my longest on trackman was still only 138. So I don't think I'm swinging the club nearly fast enough to overcompress any ball.

I still think it comes down to coincidence and technique. Hitting the ball in the air doesn't mean a whole lot for whether a chip shot is going to run out or not, you still have to use the right technique to get spin on the ball to make it stop. With the right technique you can stop even the lowest spinning, rock-hard ball on the market.

Don't mean to beat ya up here, just giving an opinion.

I still think it comes down to coincidence and technique. Hitting the ball in the air doesn't mean a whole lot for whether a chip shot is going to run out or not, you still have to use the right technique to get spin on the ball to make it stop. With the right technique you can stop even the lowest spinning, rock-hard ball on the market.

Don't mean to beat ya up here, just giving an opinion.

I don't think you are, and agree with what you are saying. I was more or less responding to JB's comments on the e6.

While I understand that technique is king, technology helps the mere mortal and a ball designed to spin is going to spin for me around the greens than one that is designed not to spin.

No. The Prov1 spins more if anything you should see more with it.
Coincidence. Sounds like over the top move. Pull and a pull slice miss. On the Prov1 shots you just didn't have an open Club face to go along with the over the top move.

I think it's important to differentiate side spin from the generic "spin". My side spin seems much greater with the V1x as opposed to the V1. I've seen ball spec reports that prove this, but I can't seem to locate them at the moment. And I seem to recall Titleist marketing the 2013 Pro V1 as having less side spin.

I argued this months ago with two buddies who played the V1x because of this concept that the V1 has more spin. After experimenting, they're both now V1 players.

Wish I could find that quantitative data...

I think it's important to differentiate side spin from the generic "spin". My side spin seems much greater with the V1x as opposed to the V1. I've seen ball spec reports that prove this, but I can't seem to locate them at the moment. And I seem to recall Titleist marketing the 2013 Pro V1 as having less side spin.

I argued this months ago with two buddies who played the V1x because of this concept that the V1 has more spin. After experimenting, they're both now V1 players.

Wish I could find that quantitative data...

I'm really interested in seeing that study, I hope you are able to find this data. From a pure logic stand point this makes no sense to me, every piece of data released by Titleist shows the Pro V1 to have to most spin out of every ball they offer. How does a ball differentiate between backspin and side-spin?

I get a lot of side spin with the ProV1, not so much with the ProV1x. I prefer the ProV1x.

Without being too rude, you play off 24 and as such it could just be an inconsistent swing that led to your results? I used to play both balls and the Pro V1 definitely moves more and spins more into and around greens. I used to play the Pro V1 on calm days and the 1X on windy days.

Without being too rude, you play off 24 and as such it could just be an inconsistent swing that led to your results? I used to play both balls and the Pro V1 definitely moves more and spins more into and around greens. I used to play the Pro V1 on calm days and the 1X on windy days.

I understand what you are saying, but there are quite a few higher handicap players that I know that can match/beat me tee to green, but they don't have the short-game down yet and end up 3-4 putting and making doubles when they had a shot at birdie. So handicap isn't exactly a great judge of whether someone has a consistent swing or not.

Back