lopsta5

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys this may be a silly question but can offset on irons work against you? I have tweaked my swing only slightly and have noticed that I am pushing my irons to the right a bit sometimes. Its not all the time. The reason I ask is the other day I hit the W/S FG Tour 100 irons and they have no/tiny offset, and I have also hit the the ACP irons with tiny offset and I noticed that both times I hit them nice and straight, I play the W/S Ci11 irons and they have a bit of offset. I could be wrong but just wanted your expert opinions. Does offset work better for some people and not others. Thanks for the help guys.

Can it? Possibly. Not to the extent you read about on the internet.

I've just changed from a set with some offset, to a set with plenty of offset and honestly can't tell the difference. It might be in your head lopsta......you are supporting us, so it more than likely is just in your head.

Is there anything else different about the ball flight that would lead you to believe that offset is hurting your game?

I moved to a set of burner irons with a tonne of offset and I couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo with them. So yes, they can potentially hurt your game.

Offset is suppose to help the slicers of the world. If you don't really have a problem with slicing then it could make you pull the ball a little. I had that problem with my g25's and the way that I corrected it was just by where I put the ball in my stance. I would place the ball back a little bit in my stance maybe a couple inches. That would help me to hit it straight. The bad thing with that was when I got the taylormade tour preferred's I had to move the ball a few inches up in my stance.

Just had a lesson today where my instructor had to correct my club face at address. Properly aligned, I was assuming the club face was open when in fact it was square. When I thought it was square, I had it closed. Never even considered that being a possibility. Once he fixed that, I stopped hooking the ball.

In this day age it's hard to find a set of irons with zero offset. I like sets with progressive offset or offset on the longer irons and progressively lessening as you move towards your shorter irons. Offset is your friend for both pushers and pullers of the ball. Take a look at your swing path and the direction of your divots my man.

Kiaora Lopsta5.

If you are pushing the ball it probably has more to do with your swing or maybe your shaft than any offset. FWIW I find I often push the ball when my swing trajectory is too flat ie when I'm slouching... In saying that if you swing in-to-out like I do you might find less offset feels more natural at address. However if you swing out-to-in the extra offset usually helps reduce slicing.

I recently went from an old set of MacGregors with heaps of offset to some Mizuno MP-59's with not much. My misses which are a hook or a push are slightly reduced with the new clubs but I think that has more to do with the shafts than the offset. The lack of offset is comforting though.

Thanks for answers guys. So maybe if its not the offset could it be the shafts. I have just looked it up and both the ACP's and W/S Fg tour 100's have TT DG s300 shafts and my Ci11 irons have TT TX Flighted. I will say I did like hitting those irons with those shafts. So it could just be a shaft change that may help?

It might, it might not. Could have just been a coincidence. Could be weight, flex, swingweight, flex profile, etc.

Lopsta: If you are right handed your statement "I am pushing my irons to the right a bit sometimes." is contradictory as hitting the ball to your right is a "pull". From the comments it sounds like your statement has confused some commenters. Yes, offset could cause a slight pull, as it's purpose is to correct the tendency of many golfers to hit a push or fade. You may want to keep that in mind as you review the comments.

Mikey310 gave you some good info. which you should seriously consider, unless you just want to spend a lot of money for an unnecessary shaft change.

There are a variety of things that can cause a slight pull (ball flight to the right for a right hander), but rarely will that be caused by an incorrect shaft. rather than jumping to the conclusion it is the shafts perhaps you should have a couple of very good golfers hit some balls with your clubs, and get their opinions.

I have had to make stance and ball position adjustments almost every time I have changed to new clubs.

You say you have tweaked your swing "only slightly" then go on to say you are "pushing my irons to the right a bit sometimes.". Did the tweak occur after you bought the clubs? Did it cause the problem? Is the pull consistent through all of your set?

If your pull is "slight" and "sometimes" it might be something as simple as an inconsistent grip or stance. Even a slightly too long club shaft can cause a slight pull. Check to see if your clubs are "toe up" when addressing the ball. This can best be done on a flat surface such as a bare floor. If they are, then grip down until they are flat to the surface.

If I were you I would have a Pro or very knowledgeable player take a quick look at your set up and swing.

Hope this helps!!!

Last edited:
Back