Playing as a single

Greg_10

Reaction score
Handicap
Being a new golfer it's a bit intimidating to be paired up with people you don't know, but that may happen this weekend. I'm just curious how often you go to the course by yourself and leave your playing partners to chance.

Also are there any unwritten rules or do's and don't's when playing as a single with a group.

Being a new golfer it's a bit intimidating to be paired up with people you don't know, but that may happen this weekend. I'm just curious how often you go to the course by yourself and leave your playing partners to chance.

Also are there any unwritten rules or do's and don't's when playing as a single with a group.

Just go out and enjoy yourself. Observe common courtesy around the course and you may leave with some new friends. Most of all have fun and enjoy the round :)

I go 80% of the time as a single. But my course isn't crowded so 90% of the time I remain as a single

Be light hearted. You are fortunate to live in an area with lots of great THPers. Nobody ever cares about skill level when with a group of THPers.

Be light hearted. You are fortunate to live in an area with lots of great THPers. Nobody ever cares about skill level when with a group of THPers.

That's true! When you're with THPers. You're with family

Look at it as if it's an opportunity to meet your new golf partners!

I try to do it a fair amount. It gets me used to playing with different people, and I think it helps me get rid of jitters while I play.

Plus, I rarely end up being strangers with someone after I play with them. There are exceptions, but most of the time I get to know the people I'm playing with.

I enjoy it. More often I get paired up with pretty decent dudes rather than jerks. I enjoy meeting new people and playing with various skill levels.

A long as they play ready golf than I have no issues

I do this all the time and have since I was a kid. I would do anything to get on the course. There's a lot of great advice here already but go have fun and enjoy yourself!

Pretty much every time when i'm home. At first, it was a bit intimidating, but that quickly went away after a couple rounds. Now I really look forward to meeting new people. There's really only two scenarios. One, they're a great partner and you make a new friend. Or...they're a jerk, in which case i mentally pretend it's a competition and really try to ensure I beat them, and otherwise just mind my own business :)

I play as a single all the time and usually get paired up with others. I like it and enjoy it and usually I get along great with others, there are the odd rotten apples though.
I don't think anyone should ever feel uncomfortable on the golf course for any reason. We are all there to have fun.

I always go to my local courses hoping that I get to go out alone, but 95% of the time I'm paired off with people I don't know. Even with my preference of playing alone to playing with those I don't know, I've never had a problem with any of them and they almost invariably turn out to be nice people just looking to enjoy a good round of golf.

I agree with others. Just go enjoy yourself and play your game. I don't think i've ever been paried up with people that were not friendly and conversational.

I play as a single a lot, when I do its mainly through the week in the morning so 70/30 of not being paired. I've never had a bad experience being paired with others, always nice and polite. Just have fun and don't be intimidated, you might surprise yourself and play better than normal. If anything, I'm a little nervous on the first tee, then it goes away.

I have made several friends at my course by going out alone and ending up catching and playing with others. When a group waves me through that is less than a foursome, I usually ask if they would like me to play along or go through. Normally the high handicappers want me to go through and the better players invite me to play with them.

Played as a single today pair up with random guy he was a not a good player and made worse as he drank more i just concentrate on my game and make small talk

I do it nearly every time. The Golden Rule goes a long way. If not that, I'd say be polite and play fast.

I go 80% of the time as a single. But my course isn't crowded so 90% of the time I remain as a single

This. But when I do pair up they are usually pretty cool.

I always go out as a single and find that like anything else, there are cool people and there are the others. But mostly you will meet a lot of nice people who also have a passion for the game. It's a great way to meet people. I tell them right off that I am working on my game, and I am not very good. Nobody really cares. I just try to keep up, and not become a drag on the pace of play. Handshakes and introductions at the beginning. Handshakes and thanks at the end.

Most always 98% as a single and 98% also always with 4some. Met very many nice good people. Only on rare occasion has the experience been less than enjoyable. I have also became very friendly with a few others and sometimes we coincidentally by chance end up playing many times together. It is most always pleasant and in fact its also good to have played with very many players of all different levels and different ways of going about their rounds and golf business.

Anyway, the hardest part is remembering names past the first hole. lol
I am terrible with that. I only do it one way. I use a color of clothing (shirt perhaps) or some other association and say to myself "ok its big steve, red mike, and danny stripes" or whatever it is and I repeat it in my head several times and then I usually stand a pretty good chance to remember. But if I do nothing I'll forget and then ask again and forget again and so on and its very embarrassing.

Most always 98% as a single and 98% also always with 4some. Met very many nice good people. Only on rare occasion has the experience been less than enjoyable. I have also became very friendly with a few others and sometimes we coincidentally by chance end up playing many times together. It is most always pleasant and in fact its also good to have played with very many players of all different levels and different ways of going about their rounds and golf business.

Anyway, the hardest part is remembering names past the first hole. lol
I am terrible with that. I only do it one way. I use a color of clothing (shirt perhaps) or some other association and say to myself "ok its big steve, red mike, and danny stripes" or whatever it is and I repeat it in my head several times and then I usually stand a pretty good chance to remember. But if I do nothing I'll forget and then ask again and forget again and so on and its very embarrassing.

I just write their names down on my scorecard. lol. I try to remember one name, and the wife gets the others.

Just have fun. Last time that happened, we found a new course to play.

Heck there are only 2 other THPr's that I know of on here from Louisiana. Both over an hour away. So I usually go as a single til the Marshall sticks me with a group

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm in Tampa FL, fairly new to the game myself. I've only played in the westchase/Carrollwood area. I normally go with one of my buddies who is also new to the game. I try to every weekend, let me know if you want to play a round.

Look at it as if it's an opportunity to meet your new golf partners!

I also look it as an opportunity for a potential sale! I always trade business cards with them, or at least give them mine if they don't have any. I keep a supply in my golf bag.

Back