Is it time to upgrade my irons need some advice please.

aplayer

Reaction score
Handicap
Just some background on me.I have been playing golf for about one and a half years and have played off 25 for one year now. I own a 12 year old set of irons and not thought of changing them till now. I have just got back from a 4 day golf break in which we played 8 rounds of golf with a hired set of clubs my worst round was 93 and my best 90 so on this trip I would of been a 20 handicap I was using two different sets the Cleveland 588 altitudes and the Nike slingshots, I found my irons was going 10-15 yards further and getting a lot more height (I have been known as a daisy cutter with my irons) was this just that I was relaxing or was it that i was using new clubs.Do you think it could be that my irons are holding me back a little.

Yeah I've never heard of those skymax irons you rock. They must be from Europe bro. Definitely look into upgrading as those clone skymax irons might be made of some cheap alloy. Could be the reason of the distance issue.

yes, it just may be time to upgrade. during a lesson, I hit several different irons next to my 20 year old clubs. The new irons were definitely longer (comparing loft to loft, not necessarily iron number to iron number). and much more forgiving. upgrading/updating was a no brainer in my case.

Yes I think its probably got quite a lot to do with it. Just go and hit a load of different irons in the shop and you'll be surprised at the difference you'll see not only between those and your old clubs but also between the different sets you try.

Stick to last years sets if you want to keep the costs down, my personal recommendation would be the Cleveland CG16's that I play, but you may find something else that fits you better.

Might I suggest some Adams tight lies 1208 irons from 2012. 2 years old but can still be had brand new for around 199.99. Awesome irons. They are my backups to ky Cb3 set. They originally retailed for 499.99 in 2012 and are cast with 431 stainless and the weighting is in all the right places. They feel like Pings when you hit them. Pure butter. 4-GW uniflex steel but you can also get graphite. Distance is not an issue with these sticks.

thanks for the advice, will have to go and try out some different sets on my next day off.

Can get those Altitudes for a good price right now. If they were longer and higher then I think you have a good reason to switch.

Then again if you're looking at a set of Clevelands you can't go wrong with some CG16 irons. Those high altitudes you're pondering are some ugly looking sticks bro. Looks give you better confidence.

to be fair looks don't bother me i did have a Nike sumo driver and loved it. when ever some one said about it looking or sounding like a trash can i would pull out the old girl and hit her 250 and just smile at them. thanks for the offer of your clubs but i think i will get new as i want to keep them a while.

Then again if you're looking at a set of Clevelands you can't go wrong with some CG16 irons. Those high altitudes you're pondering are some ugly looking sticks bro. Looks give you better confidence.

10-15 yards and higher ball flight don't give confidence?

I also recommend the Adams Tight lies set. Not too expensive and they were my first set of clubs as well. They are solid and easy to hit.

If you're looking for a hybrid combo set with distance I would recommend a set of Adams redline irons with the 3 and 4 hybrids. Easily better than those altitudes and a esthetically pleasing to the eye.

I'm a sales rep for Adams Golf and can recommend at least 5 or 6 sets better than those altitudes. The Idea A12OS has been a top seller this past year and we own 13% of the global market in iron sales. Own the second shot!!!

The Redline hybrids were not a favorite of mine. The irons were nice though.

Also, we don't typically allow sales reps pushing wares on our forum members in that manner.

Last edited:
I'm a sales rep for Adams Golf and can recommend at least 5 or 6 sets better than those altitudes. The Idea A12OS has been a top seller this past year and we own 13% of the global market in iron sales. Inbox me if you're interested my man. Own the second shot!!!

Clearly there is a bit of bias there as many have tested these out against quite a bit out there and enjoyed them.
While we welcome and encourage everybody (reps included) to be a part of THP, and love our relationship/partnership with Adams including our wonderful event at Adams HQ earlier this year, selling clubs/pushing gear is frowned upon by those that work at golf manufacturers.

I shot out from work and hit a couple of sets today got to say I was amazed by a couple really liked the razr hl and have heard only good things about the mizuno jpx ez but I could not get on with them at all. I was then asked are you buying today because if not please go I could not believe it. I have two more sets that I want to try the cobra baffler and the Adams idea can you think of any others that I should try?

I agree that technology has come so far that you could see a lot of benefits. You could get last years model to save money and invest the rest on a few lessons to make the game really fun again

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Something reasonable might be a Cobra club... the bio cell can be had on ebay for under $250, last years model, 4-pw or 4-GW. I just got a set to try for $230 shipped the other day

10-15 yards and higher ball flight don't give confidence?

Well said, that is the best confidence in the world

I thin a lot of us get way to caught up in what looks cool (I was guilty of the with s55, they are sexy beasts, but they are not best option for me) but to expand on what hawk said, here is what looks really good, hitting an approach shot from 150 to 3 feet!!!!!
Clubs that you feel confident doing that is what matters, not what they look like

I apologize for suggesting a few irons but in no way, shape or form was I trying to "push" gear as I even mentioned a set of Cleveland irons. Sorry if I came off like that.

What's ugly to one person, might not be ugly to someone else. Just have to remember that not everybody necessarily feels the same as you.

Also, confidence comes in many different forms. Looks isn't the only thing that gives confidence.

With a 25 hdcp I'd focus on cavity backs and demo as many different brands as you can.

I agree that looks come in many different forms but if you're a high capper I'm not sure a rounded top line is appealing. A nice thick top line and a wide sole would be pleawing to most high cappers at address. Confidence at address is paramount when looking down at that top line. That's all I meant by my statement. I'm sure the altitudes hit just fine but IMO there are better offerings to be had in the market at that same price point with similar setup. The main thing to me is....are the irons made with quality 431 or 17-4 steel when cast or 8620 carbon. Alot of knockoff iron heads are made with a cheap alloy which results in lost distance and the breakage of clubs.

Back