Random idea to speed up play?

I don't think slow play is a huge problems at courses with loyal memberships.

Only time slow play is a problem is Tuesday mornings(ladies day) and Fridays (for some reason our club plays as 5somes on Friday).

The course I was at the past 4 years has a loyal membership that has low turnover; most people there have been there a decade or longer. Playing by myself I've beat 2 hrs, and in a pair 3 hrs is normal. But during peak season rounds can easily get over 5 hrs, especially on Mon-Thurs when membership days (sen mixed/sen/wom/men). If a busy day, you can go 4 hrs after they tee off and still be waiting every hole. So IMO loyal members can definitely be part of the problem. I'm moving this month so switching courses (much nicer course for little extra money!), so will be curious its pace of play.

I don't think slow play is a huge problems at courses with loyal memberships.

Only time slow play is a problem is Tuesday mornings(ladies day) and Fridays (for some reason our club plays as 5somes on Friday).
I think this is a generalization, as I see slow play equal between men and women. It's not a gender issue, it is a head in your butt issue. In fact, as a group, our morning ladies group is faster than most men I have been behind. They make each other putt out EVERYTHING, but they play fast!

I think this is a generalization, as I see slow play equal between men and women. It's not a gender issue, it is a head in your butt issue. In fact, as a group, our morning ladies group is faster than most men I have been behind. They make each other putt out EVERYTHING, but they play fast!

Geography plays a role here I have a feeling. Wake was not saying that females are slower than men. He was saying Ladies Day specifically. In which there is a day by the course for ladies league. At every course I have ever been to, it is the slowest day out there.

I asked my folks about it (the average round on ladies Tuesday mornings is 2:40 for 9 holes). Plain and simple two reasons.
They mark and putt out everything and will not accept gimmes or give them.
Tees are rarely setup properly for women.

We might be lucky then, because our Wednesday morning ladies group is usually at most three groups, and usually only one or two groups! When guys behind them complain about the pace of play of the women, there are usually slow groups of guys ahead of them causing the backup.

Yep, it's not that all women are slow, but ladies day is painfully so. It is a sense of entitlement, it is their day and they will take as long as they want.

Geography plays a role here I have a feeling. Wake was not saying that females are slower than men. He was saying Ladies Day specifically. In which there is a day by the course for ladies league. At every course I have ever been to, it is the slowest day out there.

I asked my folks about it (the average round on ladies Tuesday mornings is 2:40 for 9 holes). Plain and simple two reasons.
They mark and putt out everything and will not accept gimmes or give them.
Tees are rarely setup properly for women.

To add on to this, when I worked for a country club here in town we experimented with group size for ladies day. Going from 4 in one group down to 3, shaved a full hour off their 18 hole round (went from 5.5 hours down to 4.5 hours). This was with a group of about 15 women overall and we always shot-gun started them every Tuesday morning with each group getting their own hole to start on.

To put this into perspective the average round for a Men's Stag event with an average of around 100 players, was about 4.5 hours. Again, shot-gun starting them, only with the men's stag we had to double up groups per hole.

I love the idea in theory. Would probably work at twilight or weekdays. But on weekends, too many beers and slow folks. Probably the course would have to set a player cap for it to work, say only when under 15 groups are out.

I remember playing with an older gentlemen and after our 4.5 hour round he insisted he was a fast golfer. We were a two some and I was waiting on his enormous pre shot routine all day.
I politely told him that he was one of the slowest golfers on the planet and that his practice swings didn't resemble his regular swing one iota and as such were a waste of time.

My point is this; nobody thinks they are a slow golfer and as such nobody accepts when slow play is cracked down on.

This idea would worm at a private club but not a public muni IMO.

Back