Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I absolutely love someone saying this? Why? Because I added a Mashie+ 4h to my bag this winter, thinking I was going to go more hybrids..... then I bought Altitude 4 - DW.... if I hit the 4alt better then the Mashie 4, great, but if not I hopefully have my bases covered.

I hit my X Hot 4 hybrid better than the Altitude 4 iron so the top of my bag is X Hot driver 4 wood 4 hybrid 5-7 Altitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit another bucket today in the cold and the crazy wind, mainly because it is supposed to rain for the rest of the week. I hit the first few thin and I noticed that I didn't get that "shattered wrist" feeling at all. I couldn't even call them stingers really. The graphite shafts are really kind to old joints. I was hitting them really well today, and since I started using alignment sticks again, online for the most part. With the continued bad weather I still have no real idea as far as gapping goes. I imagine they will be the same as my DI-11's , maybe a little longer. In the cold wind yesterday I hit greens with a 7i from 130-198, hard to get a real idea from that. haha

The Altitude S arrived today and I got to hit it a little before the rain started again. It's more of a high lofted gap wedge based on the shape and size, fits right in to the flow of the set. It looks like it will fit nicely into the 110 slot as well. I'm interested to try it out on the course.

There have been so many reviews on these clubs but being an extremely high handicapper and very new to golf I want to let anyone reading this thread know what I think of these clubs. I bought a used set 4-DW with steel shafts from 3balls.com. They came in today and I couldn't wait to hit them. I went to range after work today. I unpacked them in my truck at the range. The first thing I thought was that they were heavy clubs. I started off with the PW and first shot felt great. One difference is the sound, more of a "tink" than that crisp sound you get with a regular iron but it didnt bother me at all. I moved up to the 7I and couldnt believe how far I was hitting in comparison to my Adams irons that I had. The 4I (I couldnt hit the adams 4I) was a little over 200yds. My friend came up to hit with me. Now this guy is about 5'6" and absolutely smokes his irons (to me anyway). He noticed me hitting high long iron shots and came over to watch. He could not believe the difference in my ball striking. He got kind of pissed when he realized that I could match his distance (he hits Ping irons). We started aiming at stuff 175yds away and I could hang with him. Huge confidence booster for me. I am so glad I bought these. I can't wait to play a round and I am heading out this Friday. Thanks THP for this site and JB for this thread. I don't expect to go out and drop my score by 20 strokes but I do think I can be more consistent with the Altitudes.

There have been so many reviews on these clubs but being an extremely high handicapper and very new to golf I want to let anyone reading this thread know what I think of these clubs. I bought a used set 4-DW with steel shafts from 3balls.com. They came in today and I couldn't wait to hit them. I went to range after work today. I unpacked them in my truck at the range. The first thing I thought was that they were heavy clubs. I started off with the PW and first shot felt great. One difference is the sound, more of a "tink" than that crisp sound you get with a regular iron but it didnt bother me at all. I moved up to the 7I and couldnt believe how far I was hitting in comparison to my Adams irons that I had. The 4I (I couldnt hit the adams 4I) was a little over 200yds. My friend came up to hit with me. Now this guy is about 5'6" and absolutely smokes his irons (to me anyway). He noticed me hitting high long iron shots and came over to watch. He could not believe the difference in my ball striking. He got kind of pissed when he realized that I could match his distance (he hits Ping irons). We started aiming at stuff 175yds away and I could hang with him. Huge confidence booster for me. I am so glad I bought these. I can't wait to play a round and I am heading out this Friday. Thanks THP for this site and JB for this thread. I don't expect to go out and drop my score by 20 strokes but I do think I can be more consistent with the Altitudes.

Have fun with them man. Sounds like they might help you enjoy the game even more.

I am very interested on your thoughts on the SW.
The Altitude S arrived today and I got to hit it a little before the rain started again. It's more of a high lofted gap wedge based on the shape and size, fits right in to the flow of the set. It looks like it will fit nicely into the 110 slot as well. I'm interested to try it out on the course.

Hi
Just ordered the Altitude 4-DW. Can't wait for them to arrive in a few days and hit the range...first new iron set in about 20 years. My current set are just some basic Tour Edge GI irons from the mid 90's

had a question about the durability of the forged face. I walk a lot so the clubs are always knocking around is that anything to be concerned about?

I am very interested on your thoughts on the SW.

It's probably going to be more of a second gap wedge for me, but I'll let you know how it goes. I am focusing more on using the smart sole s around the green, mid range pitches, and such. I will give the Alt s a good shake down on the practice hole though.

I agree how it is more of a full swing club if anything. That is why I have removed it from my bag cause I have more success with the cg16 and rtx gap wedges.
It's probably going to be more of a second gap wedge for me, but I'll let you know how it goes. I am focusing more on using the smart sole s around the green, mid range pitches, and such. I will give the Alt s a good shake down on the practice hole though.

Hi
Just ordered the Altitude 4-DW. Can't wait for them to arrive in a few days and hit the range...first new iron set in about 20 years. My current set are just some basic Tour Edge GI irons from the mid 90's

had a question about the durability of the forged face. I walk a lot so the clubs are always knocking around is that anything to be concerned about?
I can't speak to the durability of the forged face myself, but these have been in and out of the bags of TONS of THPers and I don't remember anyone mentioning anything out of the order regarding bag chatter. If you are really concerned about it though, they sell individual Altitude Headcovers on the Cleveland website: http://shop.clevelandgolf.com/product_list/96615.56.1863.1041029.0/588_Altitude_Headcovers

I dont think most of us have covers. The clatter is the sounds of the tools in the toolbox ready to work. The faces are fine and dont get dinged.
Hi

I bought the head covers for the 4,5 and 6. I was more concerned about the black back area vs the face though.

I bought the head covers for the 4,5 and 6. I was more concerned about the black back area vs the face though.

For good reason. The HB3s and XLIs both dinged up really badly if they weren't kept in covers. It wouldn't take long for them to look horrible.

This is one of the major improvements with the Altitudes to me. That black stuff has some sort of sand paper like finish. It's much, much more durable. Thankfully, I don't use head covers for me on these.

The drop wedge came in today and I finally have the full set 3-S. I don't think I've had a full set of the same model irons since the 80's. I'm hoping the rain will stop before it gets dark so I can give it a go.

Nice. This setup is one of the options I play with as well.
The drop wedge came in today and I finally have the full set 3-S. I don't think I've had a full set of the same model irons since the 80's. I'm hoping the rain will stop before it gets dark so I can give it a go.

What is a drop wedge?

What is a drop wedge?

It's a gap wedge, don't know why they call it the drop wedge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

So do you guys who play the drop and sand wedge find they work as good for you as the major wedge brands?

What loft is the drop & sand?

So do you guys who play the drop and sand wedge find they work as good for you as the major wedge brands?

49 and 54

What is a drop wedge?

I think the D stands for Dual Wedge

I'm not sure that I'd play the SW personally. I just like a traditional wedge for getting out of the sand.

With respect to the gap wedge (D), then I think it kid of depends on your use cases. If you hit primarily full shots, then I think it'd work just fine. I pitch a lot with my gap wedge, so I tend to prefer my "traditional" wedges. I put traditional in quotes because I'm playing Niblicks, so nothing about that is really traditional.

I'm not sure that I'd play the SW personally. I just like a traditional wedge for getting out of the sand.

With respect to the gap wedge (D), then I think it kid of depends on your use cases. If you hit primarily full shots, then I think it'd work just fine. I pitch a lot with my gap wedge, so I tend to prefer my "traditional" wedges. I put traditional in quotes because I'm playing Niblicks, so nothing about that is really traditional.

I wonder how the S Wedge would go on full shots to fit the gap between the D Wedge and the 58* Smart Sole Wedge

I wonder how the S Wedge would go on full shots to fit the gap between the D Wedge and the 58* Smart Sole Wedge

I think it will fit right in between very well.

I think it will fit right in between very well.

I have never been able to hit my X Hot S Wedge off the fairway very well always get it fat or thin but my Gap Wedge I can hit fine and the Smart Sole S fine also.

Back