America's Worst Charities

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Came across this article today. If you like seeing your donation dollars being put to good use (as I do) then you'll want to take a look at that Top 50 list and consider any potential donations you send off in their direction.

You can also use Charity Navigator to scope out potential charitable organizations.

As for "Best Charities" ...
A lot of my charity dollars go to Unbound, formerly known as the Christian Foundation for Children and Aging. You "adopt" a child or elderly individual and your money goes towards providing them and their community with money to help them get an education, get food and clothing, and/or start a business. You also can, if you desire, strike up a pen-pal relationship. According to Charity Navigator, 93.5% of donations go directly to program expenses.

Last edited:
Good article. A big component of my MPA was non-profit management. Its sad - you can make a ton of money and run things like a for profit company if you know how to set things up just right. Its always a good idea to do research before donating, especially if you get cold-called out of the blue.

What makes me mad is when I donate money to them and then they sell my info and I get all these calls from random people asking for more money!

It's sickening when you see where and to whom money goes when you look at the books of non-profits.

If your money is not ear-marked to go somewhere specific when you send it to them then they can use it anyway they want.

Charity rarely ever goes where it's supposed to anymore, It's tragic that we try to help out folks and the administrators keep the bulk of it. I try to be very selective anymore and often give to local folks that really need it.

Its a real shame, these charities take a huge cut for themselfs. Seen some really sickening figures on this topic. Taking money from people who are dying and dont have food. How could they sleep at night knowing what they are doing. Can go on forever on this topic, just thats my just my two cents.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

There's an amazing place in Michigan called Rosehill that handles folks with disabilities and eventually helps get them back into the real world. It's a private 420 acre place owned by two folks whose disabled son lives there. It's growing with patients by the day. Really an amazing place that uses their funds for good things. No highly paid CEOs or administrators wasting funds here.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

You can also go to guidestar.com to do research. They have the annual financial filings for every nonprofit that pulls in more than $20,000 a year. If you know how to read financial statements its pretty educating.

Back