Looking forward to my club fitting

Essex.UK

Reaction score
Handicap
I have an iron fitting session booked in 2 weeks time. He is award winning in the Uk and a friend saw him recently and was fitted to mizunos jpx ez forged. He deals with mizuno ping callaway and taylormade. It will be my opportunity to finally hit the callaway Apex irons (I hope they perform the best for me as I really like the look of them). I have hit the ez forged and they went well for me and also the ping i25 with a graphite shaft. I was impressed with the pings as they felt soft yet solid.

Last edited:
A good fitting is a great way to jump start your game, I hope it really makes a difference in your game and gain immediate results from it. Good luck.

Yep, was fitted a couple of months ago and made a big difference. All I would say is, don't 'want' to like something too much. For both my Irons fitting, and subsequent Driver fitting, I came away with clubs I wasn't expecting, and the ones I really wanted to like just didn't work.
Hope it goes really well. Will you be hitting outdoors or inside?

Yes I will be hitting on an out door range using flightscope. Good advice in not wanting to like something I need to keep an open mind. At the end he had my friend hit 3 real balls rather than range balls.

Stick an update post here when you've had it. Always interested to hear what works for someone...

Yes i will do

Fitting is key to good golf. Hope it goes well for you!

Hi, I had the fitting today which was great. Lee started by asking about my game, my most common bad shot (a thin) and my knee injury and then he asked about what I was hoping to gain (more height and distance). He asked if I had any preference and I said I would like to hit the Callaway Apex but I would be guided by his advice. I then hit some shots with my current AP2 6 iron to warm with range balls then he had me hit 4 real balls so he could see the true flight and get flightscope measurements. We then proceeded to hit the Apex, Speedblade and EZ forged, all seem good and I was already getting more height and distance. He then said he wanted me to try them all with a more uniform shaft (i.e not soft tipped). I saw it was a KBS but I did not get technical and ask about the weight etc but just hit it. The shaft felt heavier but I got even more height and distance I also hit the X2 hot then but did not get on with it.
At this point we ditched the EZ forged as he said although it is a great club it was not giving me what I needed. I then hit some more real balls and he asked me which I liked best. There was little between them I liked the feel of the Apex a bit more but I knew in my heart the speedblade was performing best for me (the speed blade 7 iron was only 3 yards shorter than the Apex 6 iron). Lee agreed and said after he spoke to me at the start he would have recommended it as it is good on thin shots.

So I have gone for 5 to A wedge witH Lampkin ren 3 grips and after all this and the upgrade shaft it still cost only about 40 more than a large chain would charge. They should arrive in 2 weeks and then I have a 30 minute session where he checks all the lies (as he says they are never accurate from the factory).

What I have taken from this is that you need to have an open mind, find a good fitter and trust what he and the figures tell you, what clubs works for one person my not work for you.

He did say one interesting thing, I don't take much of a divot and do not hit a high ball and though I needed a high launch shaft, wide sole and low CG. However he said that for someone like me, with a club set up like that with the shaft, the sole and the low CG all try to get the club under the ball it can actually make someone like me hit more thin shots not less. Which would explain i think why the heavier and i assume stiffer KBS shaft actually gave me more height

Hi, I had the fitting today which was great. Lee started by asking about my game, my most common bad shot (a thin) and my knee injury and then he asked about what I was hoping to gain (more height and distance). He asked if I had any preference and I said I would like to hit the Callaway Apex but I would be guided by his advice. I then hit some shots with my current AP2 6 iron to warm with range balls then he had me hit 4 real balls so he could see the true flight and get flightscope measurements. We then proceeded to hit the Apex, Speedblade and EZ forged, all seem good and I was already getting more height and distance. He then said he wanted me to try them all with a more uniform shaft (i.e not soft tipped). I saw it was a KBS but I did not get technical and ask about the weight etc but just hit it. The shaft felt heavier but I got even more height and distance I also hit the X2 hot then but did not get on with it.
At this point we ditched the EZ forged as he said although it is a great club it was not giving me what I needed. I then hit some more real balls and he asked me which I liked best. There was little between them I liked the feel of the Apex a bit more but I knew in my heart the speedblade was performing best for me (the speed blade 7 iron was only 3 yards shorter than the Apex 6 iron). Lee agreed and said after he spoke to me at the start he would have recommended it as it is good on thin shots.

So I have gone for 5 to A wedge witH Lampkin ren 3 grips and after all this and the upgrade shaft it still cost only about 40 more than a large chain would charge. They should arrive in 2 weeks and then I have a 30 minute session where he checks all the lies (as he says they are never accurate from the factory).

What I have taken from this is that you need to have an open mind, find a good fitter and trust what he and the figures tell you, what clubs works for one person my not work for you.

He did say one interesting thing, I don't take much of a divot and do not hit a high ball and though I needed a high launch shaft, wide sole and low CG. However he said that for someone like me, with a club set up like that with the shaft, the sole and the low CG all try to get the club under the ball it can actually make someone like me hit more thin shots not less. Which would explain i think why the heavier and i assume stiffer KBS shaft actually gave me more height

Fantastic. Thanks for the write up. Hope you enjoy them loads...

Enjoy the new sticks! I'm going to get fit soon myself, and I'm going in thinking SpeedBlades. We'll see what the numbers say.

Enjoy the new sticks! I'm going to get fit soon myself, and I'm going in thinking SpeedBlades. We'll see what the numbers say.

They really work for me, and seem to fit a lot of people's games. Hope you get some good comparisons and a great set..

They really work for me, and seem to fit a lot of people's games. Hope you get some good comparisons and a great set..

Thanks, I'm going to hit the new SLDR irons as well, but I've been demoing a SB 6 iron fit a while now and have really liked what I've seen.

Yes I am looking forward to getting them. When I said to the fitter I struggle with my driver (and therefore don't carry it) he mentioned the new sldr mini driver which he seems to think highly of, he really likes the shorter shaft length for higher handicappers. So when am ready I may look into it. He said you can play a 460 head with a shorter shaft but you can sometimes run into problems with balance.

Lee also mentioned something else I thought was interesting as I want to change my whole bag eventually. He said he likes people to have less clubs not more - that way you get to practice more with each club and therefore get better with it - makes sense to me when I think about it.
I can see my bag going 5 iron, hybrid, 5 or 4 wood then maybe something like the sldr mini or x2 hot deep

Thanks, I'm going to hit the new SLDR irons as well, but I've been demoing a SB 6 iron fit a while now and have really liked what I've seen.

They do sound intriguing. They weren't around when I was fitted but they must be worth a look...

Yes I am looking forward to getting them. When I said to the fitter I struggle with my driver (and therefore don't carry it) he mentioned the new sldr mini driver which he seems to think highly of, he really likes the shorter shaft length for higher handicappers. So when am ready I may look into it. He said you can play a 460 head with a shorter shaft but you can sometimes run into problems with balance.

Lee also mentioned something else I thought was interesting as I want to change my whole bag eventually. He said he likes people to have less clubs not more - that way you get to practice more with each club and therefore get better with it - makes sense to me when I think about it.
I can see my bag going 5 iron, hybrid, 5 or 4 wood then maybe something like the sldr mini or x2 hot deep

Interesting. I have speedblade to 5i, then a 5 fairway then driver. I'm thinking of ditching the 5w and getting a 4 hybrid and maybe a 4 fairway. I can't see a 3 fairway giving me as much value as a 4. Now just need to get the money together...

Hi do you find you have a big gap between your 5 iron and 5 wood? I would think a 4 hybrid as you are thinking about and either a 3 or 3 hybrid and a 3 or 4 wood would give you better gaps. A session on a launch monitor would be the best answer though to be certain of your gaps.

Hi do you find you have a big gap between your 5 iron and 5 wood? I would think a 4 hybrid as you are thinking about and either a 3 or 3 hybrid and a 3 or 4 wood would give you better gaps. A session on a launch monitor would be the best answer though to be certain of your gaps.

Hi. If you are referring to me, then there's not a huge gap since getting the speedblade. I can hit the 5i much longer now. But a proper LM session would be in order...

Back