Golf holes to get bigger?

I really hope courses don't start doing this. If some goat tracks do fine. There is nothing wrong with the game leave it alone. The problem is, it's hard and people either don't want to or can't put in the time to get better. If someone wanted to pick up figure skating would they want to do it in sneakers and on a carpet because it's hard to do on skates and ice.

This is like bringing the "XFL" mentality to the game...not a fan of the concept.

Tee it forward is a great idea to get more family into the game, however I rarely see it around my area.

I have an almost 8 year old son who is wanting to play a big course "like dad" but the be he could do is play the reds and he is still not there yet.

Tee it forward is a great idea to get more family into the game, however I rarely see it around my area.

I have an almost 8 year old son who is wanting to play a big course "like dad" but the be he could do is play the reds and he is still not there yet.

But then a family could simply just go to a pitch&putt or exec course or a P3 course.
Those options already been around forever. Its the same concept and it has not made for an influx of people to the sport.

Why not lets make it all short holes, get rid of rough, trees, doglegs, make larger cups, do away with rules, no water, no bunkers, 6&12 hole courses etc, etc,...
Bottom line is if more people truly wanted to play the sport they would.
They can already play from any tee, on any type of course, with whatever rules they wish, for ever how long they want to play and can even play with non conforming equipment and balls too if they wanted.

Aside from money reasons, They don't play because they simply don't have the passion to play. And for those who say its due to time, they will not have the time anyway. If anyone ever says I don't play because it takes too long but say the would play if it took half the time they are full of crap because all they have to do is play for however long they can and then leave. But they don't have the desire to do so. Should we all play some modified version of golf 6 and 12 hole golf because player "X" only has 2 and ahalf hours? All he has to do is leave after 12 holes or whenever the heck he wants anyway. Many people play 9 and leave, many here do that. Why/ because they want to golf and don't have the time to play 18.

It all ridiculous. People don't play because they don't care all that much to play. that's it, that's all. Tees, length, time, ease of rules and course layout is all there already for them to do and chose from. None of it gets the masses flocking to play golf now, never did, and it will not ever do it if all our golf courses took on that atmosphere including large holes. Rediculous

I have always thought the best way to help younger and beginner players get interested is to help them tee to green but allow them to hole out on a regulation sized hole. I have a few friends who would play more if the fairways were wider, fairway bunkers filled in... Etc

Not for me, but if it gets more people to play--they can enjoy it.

I have always thought the best way to help younger and beginner players get interested is to help them tee to green but allow them to hole out on a regulation sized hole. I have a few friends who would play more if the fairways were wider, fairway bunkers filled in... Etc

That's what I mean. Golf is hard. Not every one has the desire to want to do it and also improve at it. Even people who do have the desire often cant get good at it. But what does that all mean? Should golf courses now be designed in this fashion? Its then no longer golf.

Skiing is hard too. Are they suppose to flatten every ski mountain? They do have easy trails and bunny trails. Just the same as they have pitch&putts, par3 and exec courses. If one isn't good enough or desires not to be or wants a place to learn to be then they simply ski on those. Why would it be or should it be any different for golf?

Not to you but generally speaking If this is such a great sure fire answer to get the masses to flock to the sport than let me say. If I ever can get the money (in my dreams perhaps) I would build and open such a golf course because I'd get even richer by the minute. All short, easy holes, with large 2 foot cups, wide open with no hazards rough trees etc. Basically I huge driving range. But the masses will flock in for sure and the whole world will start golfing. Or at least some form of it.

Not everything is easy. People want to play they will play however and wherever they wish. Even your friends in the example, if they cant handle a regular full course but really want to play. They will hit ranges and learn and practice and also go to pitcputts, par3,s etc until they feel they can make the step. If they cant then so be it. Golf like many other things is not easy. They don't play more because they don't have the passion for it. Not because it has to made easier. They can already play an easier game if they wish so its a cop out answer. They don't have the passion you do and that is all.

That's what I mean. Golf is hard. Not every one has the desire to want to do it and also improve at it. Even people who do have the desire often cant get good at it. But what does that all mean? Should golf courses now be designed in this fashion? Its then no longer golf.

Skiing is hard too. Are they suppose to flatten every ski mountain? They do have easy trails and bunny trails. Just the same as they have pitch&putts, par3 and exec courses. If one isn't good enough or desires not to be or wants a place to learn to be then they simply ski on those. Why would it be or should it be any different for golf?

Not to you but generally speaking If this is such a great sure fire answer to get the masses to flock to the sport than let me say. If I ever can get the money (in my dreams perhaps) I would build and open such a golf course because I'd get even richer by the minute. All short, easy holes, with large 2 foot cups, wide open with no hazards rough trees etc. Basically I huge driving range. But the masses will flock in for sure and the whole world will start golfing. Or at least some form of it.

Not everything is easy. People want to play they will play however and wherever they wish. Even your friends in the example, if they cant handle a regular full course but really want to play. They will hit ranges and learn and practice and also go to pitcputts, par3,s etc until they feel they can make the step. If they cant then so be it. Golf like many other things is not easy. They don't play more because they don't have the passion for it. Not because it has to made easier. They can already play an easier game if they wish so its a cop out answer. They don't have the passion you do and that is all.

Correct sir, zero passion whatsoever for the game of golf. And I'm beyond obsessed with it, I seriously don't know how we're friends. They do have some passion for the the drinking, the camaraderie, the memories, the laughs, the drunken golf cart antics, the stories, the drinking, enjoying the nice weather and scenery and the time away from the job/family/reality. Some people do not take the game as seriously as we do as you mentioned and they have courses set of for these people. We play a short easy par 60 executive with a slice friendly layout called Desert Willow. This place is perfect for beginners, the right side of almost every fairway is all grass with no trees and beyond that is the opposing fairway, on most shots you could slice it right 100 yards and still find a good lie with a clear line in towards the green. They are all fairly terrible at the game but this layout makes it more enjoyable. They always joke that I always take them to the most difficult course and that's why they struggle, so we played at Badlands once(target golf) and it was ugly.

There are so many courses in this town, somewhere between 75-100 within a half hour of me. Yet only the one with this type of layout. I live right next to a par 3 and it's not easy! There is a par 3 muni in north town but I rarely go up there because you tee off from a mat and the fairways are still tree lined, plus no carts, walking only. Carts are a deal breaker for the group in this example, drinking and driving legally is a large slice of the pie chart of fun. I just think with all the challenging courses out there we could stand to have a few more easy ones. Actually if you know of another sport we can play while drinking and driving legally we will happily give that a go. (Note to self:foot golf)

That Desert Willow place I mentioned is always busy with locals, I would think there would be room for at least one more. To be honest makeing it even easier wouldn't hurt, many beautiful illustrations of snowmen have been drawn in the space for holes 9 and 18. The approach shot must carry water on those holes and driver is NOT safe off the tee.

I've been to the old course at St Andrews in Scotland, don't remember seeing any lakes in front of the greens, or trees can't recall seeing any trees. It's still considered golf. Those bunkers looked evil but some of those were added along the way to make it more challenging. Maybe the game has been made harder and harder over the years as skill and equipment have evolved, the courses evolved as well. Beginners struggle because they lack the skill to utilize the awesome new equipment. I'm just entertaining the idea that for a few select courses we take a step back to a simpler time.

I'm not suggesting the game be made easier, in fact we can leave the other 99 percent of courses just as they are, and to you or someone who never plays the easy one the game will be exactly the same. Maybe the pace of play will be faster because all my hack friends will be over at hack national golf club, instead of topping it up the fairway in the group in front of you and I. Hack national has a certain ring to it by the way. So that's mine, I own that now. Don't steal my idea anyone!

You may see it as a cop out answer, I on the other hand cannot understand why anybody would be opposed to something like this. If it does not interest you then don't go play there.

I didn't mean that to sound like personal snap at you. Not my intent at all and sorry if I came off that way :)
I also didnt imply at all that your friends shouldn't be your friends.

I don't know what drinking or drunken antics has to do with anything. Do your friends want to play golf even casually for fun and laughs or drink and drive around in a drunken stupor partying. You are not then talking about golf.

Even though I was sarcastic I'm not apposed to having such places and if in fact it would make money why not open them. If people would play them why not.
But too many people feel like we need to change the whole darn sport around all over and at the places we currently play. And its not talked of in a way that means other places. They mean that we should bring in all this sort of non golf type of things now to make the game easier at our locals.

I am not good at golf and vs many here I outright stink. I am even a fan of bifurcation for amateur rules but I don't need or want them to change the whole game and my local courses just so its much easier for me nor do I believe for a second that any of that will magically lead to an influx of the masses playing golf.

There is going to be some difficulty to any form of golf other than simply going to a golf practice range. Even that in itself can be a difficult struggle for one to hit good balls consistently especially for people who don't regularly do it and also even at times for ones who do lol. But what are we suppose to do? Next there will be advocating for somehow making the range easier and more attractive.

I just don't know why those who regularly play this game somehow feel we need to change many things to get others more involved and think that if they make the game much easier it will be the answer. There are many options to play how one wants, where one wants, how long one wants right now already. If one really wants to get involved in any way at all then he simply will.

Unfortunately I don't know anywhere people can "drive" around in a drunken stupor and somehow play some form of "not golf". I guess that can be done in an open field, an empty parking lot, or at the beach. I would just hope no one gets hurt.

Last edited:
I didn't take it personally so no need to apologize, I just enjoy a good discussion with knowledgable people and I'm a passionate dude. I tried to sprinkle enough humor in there so that you would see it was all meant to be light hearted, if I failed at that as I often do, please excuse me. You didn't imply they shouldn't be my friends, I did. But again that wasn't meant to be a joke.

In response to your question I think that for this particular group the golf is equally important to all of the other reasons they might be out there. Ie memories, drinking, laughter..

Since your not opposed to having these places built as long as it doesn't interfere with what's already out there and it's profitable then I guess we agree. And I mean come on, how could a place called Hack National not be successful.

I dont think designing a hack friendly golf course is THE answer to attract more people to the sport but I do think that it might be one of many answers. I know that for one particular group of friends it might help.

I dont know where else we can legally drink and drive but I'll keep brainstorming. :) Actually this group of friends I know from my moto X days, and one place you cannot drink and drive legally and safely is the sand dunes. Trust me, that's where we were a few short years ago. One of the guys is half bionic man after having the lower half of his body destroyed by a sand rail when it T boned him out at Glamis two years ago. Incidents like this are why we golf now. He can't ride anymore, he can barely golf but we are all able to go out and have a good time.

I don't know what drinking or drunken antics has to do with anything. Do your friends want to play golf even casually for fun and laughs or drink and drive around in a drunken stupor partying. You are not then talking about golf.
And now we move to the next debate topic? At what point have we drunk too much and are no longer playing golf? I would argue that if your still able to drive to your ball and hit it closer to the green, you're still golfing. Of all the rounds I have played with these guys I can only remember once when one of us was outside these very generous parameters I have set. Where does golf end and drunken antics begin for you? Keep in mind these are not skilled players to begin with(avg score 110 with mulligans) and that this question is intended to be part of a friendly discussion. I'll not be offended by whatever you say.

It already seems like more people are playing golf this year. I think closer tee boxes would make it more fun than a bigger hole. What would be the point of maintaining a green if you could just chip it in from the fairway?

And now we move to the next debate topic? At what point have we drunk too much and are no longer playing golf? I would argue that if your still able to drive to your ball and hit it closer to the green, you're still golfing. Of all the rounds I have played with these guys I can only remember once when one of us was outside these very generous parameters I have set. Where does golf end and drunken antics begin for you? Keep in mind these are not skilled players to begin with(avg score 110 with mulligans) and that this question is intended to be part of a friendly discussion. I'll not be offended by whatever you say.

I honestly don't really know how to answer that. I never really thought about that. I just never really associated my golf and drunken antics in the same thought. I never really thought about that in general to tell you the truth.

A very easy trouble free wide open golf course that exists with the idea that its patrons are there to party and play some form of golf. Wouldn't be for me but just perhaps your on to something enough people might like but I just have no idea. But I would assume there would be too many problems. Insurance issues for the owners would be a big one I assume. I wouldn't want to be a part of it and drunken antics leads to bad things like fights and destruction and golf clubs and carts are dangerous. Other than that I really cant comment on where or when its no longer golf.

Believe this is a novelty at most. Cups will remain the same. Hell, they banned long putters.

No they didn't.

I thought this was a Taylormade promotion to get more people interested in golf, specifically young kids. I doubt it will ever turn into the standard.

That's all it is. It's a push by TaylorMade to create a bigger market so they can sell more clubs, some of which would be illegal by the Rules of Golf. Since most golfers won't buy illegal clubs to play real golf, he had to reinvent the game to create a market for them.

Instead of making regular golf easier, maybe they should just make mini-golf harder...

Personally, I hope this nonsense of a 15" cup goes away quickly. I would hate to see it taken seriously and then get tried to be implemented into the game of real golf.

Personally, I hope this nonsense of a 15" cup goes away quickly. I would hate to see it taken seriously and then get tried to be implemented into the game of real golf.

way to many existing golfers for that to happen. Its like disk golf or the latest foot golf. There may be interest and some may set up a course, but it would never replace golf as we know it in our lifetime. If someone loves it, then go have a blast!

way to many existing golfers for that to happen. Its like disk golf or the latest foot golf. There may be interest and some may set up a course, but it would never replace golf as we know it in our lifetime. If someone loves it, then go have a blast!

The difference is that disc golf isn't played on a regular course that real golfers want to play. I just can't see most courses changing their whole philosophy even for one day a week, and if they try and do a double hole setup, real golfers will stay away in droves. As long as they have an option, I don't see golfers who want to play golf getting behind a plan where they will be stuck on the course with complete hackers playing a game that barely resembles golf, and doing it at the same time.

Ditto. I keep seeing tweets about it and how TM is trying to push it so hard and it just irritates the hell out of me. It's ridiculous.
As was mentioned before, I think, if it's inside a certain perimeter (inside the leather?) then call it good. No need to hack up greens to appease the 1%.

A local course (Redwoods in Langley) are now doing 8" cups on Tuesdays as an experiment. I don't have much desire to try it.

I've seen that, I doubt most amateur golfers will score that much better anyway. Maybe the one or two putts that just missed will be going in, but I don't see scores dropping by more than 3 or 4.

I might try it if I'm playing with my friends who are less serious about golf.

How about this. Practice putting on smaller holes.

I have said this before....give me a course with 15 inch cups, a bunch of THPers and lots of cold beer and this sounds like a great time!

I played in a Big Cup Tournament one time at my home course and I didn't fell like I was making more putts than normal, honestly.

:D Good one.

Back