Anything known on the NEW Adams 2014 XTD irons ???

I actually like them, shows how far my tastes have come. I blame altitudes. hahahaha

I bet my scores would be better with these than with the sticks I'm playing

I bet my scores would be better with these than with the sticks I'm playing

I refuse to try and argue that.

Mainly bc I agree. :alien:

Our club had them in the demo bag this weekend. I ended up hitting the 6 irons with the KBS shaft. With a smooth and measured pace I was able to lace quite a few but my tendency with lightweight shafts is to get quick and then all heck breaks loose. Ultimately I fit better in a higher weight shaft to keep me in tempo. From the looks department they probably will perform for quite a few folks but they won't win any beauty contests - performance counts though right!

You crushed that thing. I am going to have to rest the s55 (as bad as I hate to for a while) and I had sold myself on apex this weekend, but think back to dallas, I need to keep this on the ponder list, they are good sticks.
What do you think James? I almost think its a dead heat???

Yeah, the shafts are C-Taper 90's, at the Adams event I was hitting the 8i on the sim 181 IIRC? Somewhere in that absurd range, it actually carried over to the range the next day too. I won't lie, I want a set this winter.

I have a set of these ugly ducklings on their way to me… but I won't be able to hit them until next weekend. :-(

They have the stock C-Taper Lite (or whatever they're being called) and will go head-to-head against my Adams CB3s with Tour 90s.

I'll post back in a week or so once I've had the opportunity to compare.

Last edited:
I was able to demo these and I really liked. These hit very nice to me. I new when I hit it square and when missed. I like the color that Adams chose as the ball when lined up really stands out at address. I am a big fan of the KBS 90 tour shafts and these C-Tapers hit great. Need to try again next to my R11's to see if worthy for a change. New clubs are nice to buy but I need to know improvement/distance/accuracy will follow with changing. First experience was positive. The course where my brother plays has a demo set that can be takin out. He played and already wants to buy and change from the rbz irons. The shaft really works for him.

I got a few swings in a sim with these this week. I only hit the 6iron. That sim has never shown me ball speeds that high with a 6iron. They are not sleek but the amount of tech and it's benefits really do make them awesome.

I got a few swings in a sim with these this week. I only hit the 6iron. That sim has never shown me ball speeds that high with a 6iron. They are not sleek but the amount of tech and it's benefits really do make them awesome.

Disregarding the… er… busy cavity design, what did you think of the look at address?

Disregarding the… er… busy cavity design, what did you think of the look at address?

Compact. They don't look big at address. If they perform like I saw, but outside, the cavity can look like whatever it wants. I don't see the cavity at address anyways

I dunno, I thought they were def...sizeable at address, but I didn't mind.

I'll let you know my thoughts next weekend chaps as I intend to spend a solid couple of hours with them on the range...

I have a set of these ugly ducklings on their way to me… but I won't be able to hit them until next weekend. :-(

They have the stock C-Taper Lite (or whatever they're being called) and will go head-to-head against my Adams CB3s with Tour 90s.

I'll post back in a week or so once I've had the opportunity to compare.

Be interested to see how this works out, as I play the CB3's as well. I will admit the XTD's do not approach the great looks of the CB3's, but while looks are important, results are more so!

the 3&4 irons could work for some like me that never have done well with hybrids.

I'll let you know my thoughts next weekend chaps as I intend to spend a solid couple of hours with them on the range...

looking forward to what you see compared to the CB3s, as that is what i am playing this season.

I tried these over the weekend and compared them directly against my CB3s which may be of interest to some of you. I have a real mix of emotions following the comparison and my conclusion really isn't what I was expecting.

So, thoughts in no particular order are as follows:

- The XTD is bigger than the CB3 in every dimension. It is noticably longer heel to toe with a wider sole and marginally thicker top line. Looking down at the head from above, it's a good looking club and doesn't scream SGI in any way but it is not as compact looking as the CB3.

- The XTD irons are heavier than their CB3 counterparts. That could be down to the C-Taper Lite shafts being marginally heavier than the Tour 90s in the CB3s, but I could feel a little extra heft in the XTD which I really liked. I popped both 7 irons on the kitchen scales last night which confirmed this... the XTD measured 5g heavier than the CB3 in total weight. I wouldn't have expected to be able to feel 5g, so perhaps this is down to weight distribution or some other factor? Swingweight didn't feel noticably different, but I haven't measured that. Either way, the XTD felt heaver and is (marginally) heavier.

- The XTD cavity didn't immediately strike me as 'ugly' which has been a frequent reaction for many people; moreso, the cavity suggests there is real technology and innovation within the product. I feel the CB3s have a 'classic' design managing to offer GI within a non-GI package; however, 'classic' design the XTD is not.

- The XTD does not feel / sound like a forged iron. In fact, it's a good job the pressure piston is there to dampen the feel / sound as I imagine it woud be... er... interesting... without it. There is almost a hollow 'crack' when you strike the ball, which I must say I don't dislike, but the XTD doesn't have that forged smoothness of the CB3. Put it this way, I would be 100% certain which club I was hitting in a blindfold test.

- Distance wise, they are definitely long but not significantly longer than the CB3s from my limited testing thus far. I've only been able to eyeball distances of mid and long irons hitting down the range with range balls, but the XTDs only appeared to be a few yards longer at most. Obviously launch monitor testing would be way more helpful and scientific and hopefully I'll get the opportunity to do that at some stage. I also played 6 holes last evening, but it was very windy so difficult to judge. I don't see that I'll be able to take a 6 iron for shots I'd have previously taken a CB3 5 iron but, once I'm more familiar with the XTDs, my gut feel is that they could be up to half a club longer, although we'll have to wait and see.

- Ballflight seems 'stronger' than the CB3. Both the XTD and CB3 hit a high ball, but the XTD's ballflight seems to get up fast and flatten out removing any and all propensity to balloon. To be fair, the CB3s do not balloon on me either, but the XTD has a more penetrating flight for me and I would assume is spinning the ball less.

- Regarding overall performance, I absolutely love them! Not sure if it's a honeymoon period, the C-Taper Lite fitting me better than the Tour 90, the tech in the head, etc. nor do I care... they really do feel point and shoot and they perform really well when kissings the sweet spot. I played 7 holes yesterday evening and was hitting greens without even thinking about it. 1st hole 190yds uphill and hit the front of the green. The 2nd hole is a short par 4 with bunkers all around the driver landing area so I played 4 iron and smashed it down the centre of the fairway with a dead straight, powerful, penetrating ballflight. The third hole plays 160yds uphill and I put my three tee shots on the green. On the 6th hole from 170yds out into a two-three club wind, I played two 4 iron shots and put both on the green. The 7th hole is a long par 3 and was playing 220yds with the wind helping; I put two of my three 4 iron tee shots on the green.

So, in conclusion, they don't feel as nice as the CB3s, most people don't think they look as nice as the CB3s, my initial range session suggests they're not much longer than the CB3s... but right now I have absolute confidence in being able to hit greens from 110 - 195 yards. The dispersion is great, the ballflight is great and I'm really enjoying the results I'm seeing. Let's hope this continues beyond the honeymoon period!

Last edited:
mab13 thanks, great review, and thoughts on the XTD irons

Anyone still gaming these newer XTD irons?

Back