portable "launch" monitors vs the bluetooth devices?

dizzyg12

Reaction score
Handicap
Thoughts on devices like the ES12 or the SC100 vs swing byte, swing tip, etc?

Is like to make range sessions more worthwhile and get more info or data so I can work towards getting better at specifics rather than spraying a bucket all over the range.

I like that the bluetooth devices give you club angles and stuff like that but wonder about the accuracy of swing speed and the hassle of changing it from club to club as I go through the bag.

With the launch monitors I know you only get SS and carry distance, but not much else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts on devices like the ES12 or the SC100 vs swing byte, swing tip, etc?

Is like to make range sessions more worthwhile and get more info or data so I can work towards getting better at specifics rather than spraying a bucket all over the range.

I like that the bluetooth devices give you club angles and stuff like that but wonder about the accuracy of swing speed and the hassle of changing it from club to club as I go through the bag.

With the launch monitors I know you only get SS and carry distance, but not much else.

Such different animals really. one being about the result and one about the swing itself. I like the combo approach (if I change X then it results in Y), but if I had to pick one it would be the swing improvement device I guess since I can still shoot at specific range flags for distances.

Working on distances at the range is problematic for me. At the range I just worry about flight path. I could care less about how far it goes. I work on distances on the course.

Working on distances at the range is problematic for me. At the range I just worry about flight path. I could care less about how far it goes. I work on distances on the course.

Why is it problematic? Differences in range balls to gamers? Mental?

Why is it problematic? Differences in range balls to gamers? Mental?

Both. I've hit some pretty smooth range balls and wondered why my ball was wobbling through the air and not going anywhere. Plus, hopefully on the course I never get a chance to just reload until I get it right.

Both. I've hit some pretty smooth range balls and wondered why my ball was wobbling through the air and not going anywhere. Plus, hopefully on the course I never get a chance to just reload until I get it right.

You havnt played behind some guys ive played behind :)

I like it for the fact that is helped me dial in new wedges. And dor short game when there really isnt a pitching range .. dialing in wedges has been great ising this device

I think you have to ask yourself what you want to accomplish. Do you want a device to show your swing and help work on your form? Do you want to see carry distance/smash factor etc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think you have to ask yourself what you want to accomplish. Do you want a device to show your swing and help work on your form? Do you want to see carry distance/smash factor etc?

That's true - It would be nice to have all that data in one device but I know that's not possible yet. I suppose my question is which device would be more helpful overall? What's everyone's thought on what's more important I suppose is the best question to ask.

I think for me form and swing path would ultimately be most useful at least right now however having some launch data would be nice and I like the thought of doing the random distance game or challenges in the sc100 to dial In wedges and such.

That's true - It would be nice to have all that data in one device but I know that's not possible yet. I suppose my question is which device would be more helpful overall? What's everyone's thought on what's more important I suppose is the best question to ask.

I think for me form and swing path would ultimately be most useful at least right now however having some launch data would be nice and I like the thought of doing the random distance game or challenges in the sc100 to dial In wedges and such.

A $20,000 Trackman provides everything short of a 3-D representation of the swing! Obviously a trackman is out of reach for most people for personal use. I'd say if your working on your game the bluetooth device will help you improve. You can pick spots on the range to hit wedges and such too.

Personally for me, I am not a big fan of self diagnosis, so I guess something that gave me the distance would be. But to me, looking at those devices compared to a few lessons for the same price, I would go with the lessons. Despite being a gadget guy, I like someone that knows what they are doing looking at my swing a whole lot more than I do.

Personally for me, I am not a big fan of self diagnosis, so I guess something that gave me the distance would be. But to me, looking at those devices compared to a few lessons for the same price, I would go with the lessons. Despite being a gadget guy, I like someone that knows what they are doing looking at my swing a whole lot more than I do.

Lessons would be great no doubt about it, but being in sales I'm on the road a lot and I mean ALOT. Over 120,000 miles logged in the last 4 years alone. I try to take advantage and find new ranges and courses while I'm on the road and maybe take a half hour or 45 minutes between appointments to hit a few balls. So having the time for lessons at or near home would be tough. A device or gadget as you say would at least give me something to work with. I know enough about the mechanics and such to fix my own flaws - even been recording swings a hunch lately. Not that I have the eye off a pro though. I just like the challenge of figuring it out for myself as well.

yeah range balls can make a big difference.

I grabbed a fairly crappy ball I had in my bag at the end of a range session and it added an easy 10 yards to my 8 iron

Lessons would be great no doubt about it, but being in sales I'm on the road a lot and I mean ALOT. Over 120,000 miles logged in the last 4 years alone. I try to take advantage and find new ranges and courses while I'm on the road and maybe take a half hour or 45 minutes between appointments to hit a few balls. So having the time for lessons at or near home would be tough. A device or gadget as you say would at least give me something to work with. I know enough about the mechanics and such to fix my own flaws - even been recording swings a hunch lately. Not that I have the eye off a pro though. I just like the challenge of figuring it out for myself as well.

I hear ya about being on the road. I mean I am traveling a lot in the THP Tour Van.
Im still a proponent in having a professional work with me. Self diagnosis took me down the wrong path.

I agree on the lessons long before anything else and for an extended period of time. Not just a package of 5 or so expecting significant changes.

I think the Bluetooth analysis tools tell you what you already know. You should know if you came over the top based on ball flight. Same goes if you come from the inside, too steep, etc.

I am interested in a launch monitor, but don't know how much it is going to tell me. As others have said, the range balls you use may react differently to your swing then your normal gamer (assuming you have a consistent ball you use). I've never used FlightScope, but have used trackman a dozen times or so and found even it can miss a swing or provide inconsistent data occasionally. So with potential inconsistencies due to technogy and not using your normal gamer ball, I can't justify pulling the trigger on something like the SC100 just yet.

There are ranges that let you rent time on trackman. One near me does it for $45 and hour with pro v1 balls. I get to use it during some of my lessons, but have contemplated using that service if I get to a point of finding a ball to use for a while.

I agree on the lessons long before anything else and for an extended period of time. Not just a package of 5 or so expecting significant changes.

I think the Bluetooth analysis tools tell you what you already know. You should know if you came over the top based on ball flight. Same goes if you come from the inside, too steep, etc.

I am interested in a launch monitor, but don't know how much it is going to tell me. As others have said, the range balls you use may react differently to your swing then your normal gamer (assuming you have a consistent ball you use). I've never used FlightScope, but have used trackman a dozen times or so and found even it can miss a swing or provide inconsistent data occasionally. So with potential inconsistencies due to technogy and not using your normal gamer ball, I can't justify pulling the trigger on something like the SC100 just yet.

There are ranges that let you rent time on trackman. One near me does it for $45 and hour with pro v1 balls. I get to use it during some of my lessons, but have contemplated using that service if I get to a point of finding a ball to use for a while.

You're probably right about bluetooth devices. I do understand the dynamics and physics of the swing enough to "diagnose" my problems as they arise. I think having something though would make sessions more entertaining and challenging with some of the swing groove features and target challenges. Like a game on the range to keep me focused.

I just question the accuracy and trustability of these things. I know it's not trackman level but who wants to throw down a couple hundred bucks on something that isn't accurate. Maybe waiting it out as the technology evolves is a better idea. I imagine some day these things will be just as good as the professional systems and upgradeable to be future proof ala smart phones.

For me I think the VC SC100 is the way to go. I am someone who can easily over analyze the numbers from a full on launch monitor and I end up chasing numbers and blaming shafts instead of just worrying about my swing.
There's something really nice about just getting SS, Carry, and Smash Factor IMO.

Having experience with neither, I would honestly say something like an SC100 appeals to me much more.

If I am at the range, more than anything, what I would like to see is carry distance numbers. I always question on the course if I have enough in me to carry distances with certain clubs. Being able to see a comparison even just on carry numbers for me would be a great benefit.

I would also think it would be a good piece of equipment to help show progression over the course of a year. If certain changes are helping/hurting distance wise, and seeing a number right away, would be very helpful.

Back